• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    can't get the video to play, but we have the 4 inch model with no problems. early on it developed a rust spot. we sent in back, prepaid, and in a few weeks had a new gun, a pin and a hat. they have great customer service. if you're still in doubt look at a ruler lcr

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 2 J frame Taurus, one .357mag and the other one is .327fed/mag.
    Both are snubbies, 2" barrels, the .357 is 5 shot while the .327 is 6 shot.

Both are great little guns.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    buy quality...minimum a Taurus, Rossi, or Charter but look around for a used S&W, Colt, or Ruger. You do get what you pay for in the long run.

Absolutely...spend a few $$ to get a quality revolver...nothing like having it fail when you need it most!

I would, however, take Taurus off the list...I've never had nor known anyone who's had one that didn't need to go back in for repairs...and continue to have issues afterwards! I had one they couldn't repair (Model 850 Titanium .38+P DAO)...'repaired' twice...and the cylinder would lock-up after the 1st shot and I would have to take the side plate off and disassemble the revolver to get the remaining 4 rounds out. Finally, traded it back in and the next guy who bought it had to send it in as well...never heard the results of that.

I've owned Rugers...never so much as a hiccup with one! Friends who owned Taurus's sold theirs and bought Rugers...and their problems went away as well!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Great pistol, clone of the Detective special. We have one on our rental wall @ Parabellum, it has been run for several months without any issues. [FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]
    It's a little heavy (all steel) but quality appears to be top notch. If you don't mind the weight and like the feel of it I don't think there is a better value out there in a revolver.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Cobra.......

333juht.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Absolutely...spend a few $$ to get a quality revolver...nothing like having it fail when you need it most!

I would, however, take Taurus off the list...I've never had nor known anyone who's had one that didn't need to go back in for repairs...and continue to have issues afterwards! I had one they couldn't repair (Model 850 Titanium .38+P DAO)...'repaired' twice...and the cylinder would lock-up after the 1st shot and I would have to take the side plate off and disassemble the revolver to get the remaining 4 rounds out. Finally, traded it back in and the next guy who bought it had to send it in as well...never heard the results of that.

I've owned Rugers...never so much as a hiccup with one! Friends who owned Taurus's sold theirs and bought Rugers...and their problems went away as well!

I have owned a Taurus, model 85, with a 3" bbl., since 1988, and never had one problem with it .....

It is a BUG, and not shot a lot ..... Just enough to make sure I can hit the target..... Less than 50 rounds a year.....

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Back in the 80s though mid 90s I worked for a shop that sold a lot of Taurus revolvers. We never had a single complaint and I never had to repair one. I did tune a few of them up in order to get a nice DA pull for our more discerning customers. Inside they were pretty roughly machined compared to a S&W of that time period. But they worked fine. But everyone I talk to now says they have gone all the way down the drain. Too bad. They were an affordable choice for a lot of folks who didn't have the money to spend on a S&W. They also made a nice 3 in. .44 Spl revolver that I wish now I had bought back when they were quality and low priced.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Midwest has S&W 642/442s on sale now for $349, thats a smoking hot price on the best snubbie ever made. I also had a Taurus 85 for a long time that was excellent and was the best shooting 2" snubbie I ever handled, really regret selling it now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    And for revolvers in general, look at the book titled,
    "Fast and Fancy revolver shooting" by Ed McGivern.
    The man wrote the book on speed shooting with a revolver, literally.
    He even invented his own shot timer because none existed at the time that would/could time his shots.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have 2 taurus snubbies, a Taurus 69 and a S&W 642. All are great guns. As for the quality of Taurus, I find their customer service very good. I have had to send back 2 guns in the last 30 years and they are very helpfull and prompt in the repairs.Taurus has a lifetime warranty on all their guns and not just for the original owner. One of the snubbies had the retention screw of the cylinder come loose and I lost the parts inside and behind the screw. I sent the gun into Taurus and they repaired it, checked the gun for any other issues and sent it back No Charge. I did have to pay shipping to them, they covered the return shipping.:twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom