• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Don't get too excited. If it actually happens most of those guns will be parts sources or collector pieces. These are the guns that the D.O.D. was so desperate to remove from service because most of them were on their last legs. They have been in storage for 50 years or more. The earliest models had no treat treatment and were soft. Some of the bores will be worn out. The life expectancy when they were new was only 5,000 rounds before failure. And they have seen TWO World Wars and a couple of other rough engagements. If you buy one it should be carefully examined by a smith for cracks or worn parts. They are great guns and amazing pieces of our history but they were rode really hard and recycled many times. If you want a shooter 1911 look at a modern copy.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Don't get too excited. If it actually happens most of those guns will be parts sources or collector pieces. These are the guns that the D.O.D. was so desperate to remove from service because most of them were on their last legs. The earliest models had no treat treatment and were soft. The life expectancy when they were new was only 5,000 rounds before failure. And they have seen TWO World Wars and a couple of other rough engagements. If you buy one it should be carefully examined by a smith for cracks or worn parts. They are great guns and amazing pieces of our history but they were rode really hard and recycled many times. Caveat emptor.

M1911's where the soft ones with no heat treat.......A1's would be fine........but i wouldn't be after a shooter anyway.....just history.....

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    CMP will do these just like the Garands, all will be inspected and test fired.
    Anything not servicable will have all the good parts saved and the bad scraped.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They are great guns and amazing pieces of our history but they were rode really hard and recycled many times. If you want a shooter 1911 look at a modern copy.

What you say is very true, but this is an enormous political victory and should not be discounted.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    WTH am I reading? Is this April fools day or Thanksgiving? First line of the article states Pres. Obama signs this into law making it legal to basically move the Mil. handguns through the CMP to us subjects? Kirk nailed it! This is an enormous political victory and should not be discounted. My mind is boggled by what I just read.

r 25th, 2015, President Barack Obama has signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016, included in which is a provision for the Civilian Marksmanship to sell 1911 handguns to the United States shooting public. The bill includes Section 1087, which allows the transfer of handguns from the United States Army to the Civilian Marksmanship program, and the subsequent distribution of those handguns to members of CMP-affiliated clubs: - See more at: BREAKING NEWS: It Is Now Law, The CMP Will Sell 1911s To The Public - A Thanksgiving Day Miracle - The Firearm Blog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    *snip*They are great guns and amazing pieces of our history but they were rode really hard and recycled many times. If you want a shooter 1911 look at a modern copy.

I don't care what condition they are in. Coming from the CMP I know they will be servicable but more to the point they are a piece of history I won't be missing out on.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I bet they will be pricey. The ones I've seen are complete mixmasters with heavy parkerization. This is a victory, just don't get your hopes up.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    WTH am I reading? Is this April fools day or Thanksgiving? First line of the article states Pres. Obama signs this into law making it legal to basically move the Mil. handguns through the CMP to us subjects? Kirk nailed it! This is an enormous political victory and should not be discounted. My mind is boggled by what I just read.

r 25th, 2015, President Barack Obama has signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016, included in which is a provision for the Civilian Marksmanship to sell 1911 handguns to the United States shooting public. The bill includes Section 1087, which allows the transfer of handguns from the United States Army to the Civilian Marksmanship program, and the subsequent distribution of those handguns to members of CMP-affiliated clubs: - See more at: BREAKING NEWS: It Is Now Law, The CMP Will Sell 1911s To The Public - A Thanksgiving Day Miracle - The Firearm Blog

I knew there was a catch to our president signing a pro-gun bill! President Obama must want the NDAA signed into law way more than he hates our right to keep and bear arms! This tells me I had better not trust the constitutionality of the NDAA. :)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Lessee if I can out-Denny Denny: Mr I-can-change-the-law-any-way-I want-to-with-an-Executive-Order will find a way to delay this until after he leaves office in the hopes that Bernie will finish the job. If he doesn't outright have them dumped in a smelter before anyone notices.

Otherwise, way cool. I really didn't think this amendment would survive the process.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Don't get too excited. If it actually happens most of those guns will be parts sources or collector pieces. These are the guns that the D.O.D. was so desperate to remove from service because most of them were on their last legs. They have been in storage for 50 years or more. The earliest models had no treat treatment and were soft. Some of the bores will be worn out. The life expectancy when they were new was only 5,000 rounds before failure. And they have seen TWO World Wars and a couple of other rough engagements. If you buy one it should be carefully examined by a smith for cracks or worn parts. They are great guns and amazing pieces of our history but they were rode really hard and recycled many times. If you want a shooter 1911 look at a modern copy.

You're describing the CMP program that has been in place for how many decades? I'd gladly buy one.

Top Bottom