• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to on Thanksgiving. So I went to see one of my close friends today. I have known him since 5th grade and we were together until Senior year. But we have been very close. I know he is a very responsible person. I know my friend just like you know yours.

His son I call nephew. And he calls me Uncle Mike. He just turned 5.

We are so close and he trust me I trust him. Just as a joke while me, my friend, and his son were watching tv.
    I said do you know where Daddy's gun is.

Without hesitation he knew exactly were it was.

It also is easily accesible... No lock and ready to go.
    But in a place he can't reach easily. The shelf in closet. Which I could have reached as a 5 year old.

but I vividly remember as a boy stacking chairs and books to reach a box of cereal on top the fridge.

This frightened me and my buddy whom I gave a long speech to.

Guys please make sure young children can't get your weapon and harm themselves.
    Im pretty upset with my buddy.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My children know where the guns are and know how to use them. They understand the rules and don't 'play' with them. They are damn good shots too, and have been since age 5. If something really bad goes down I expect they could pull my :bacondance: out of the fire. Even my 10 year old daughter is good with a sword...I can't imagine leaving the innocent defenseless. I understand others differ in that opinion. It is not mine. I travel often and leaving them to the will of others if I am not there I don't see as a good option. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Agreed on the locking up and away from the little ones.
    That said, conversations still need to exist on;
    This is mine, not yours.
    Can you touch, handle, shoot it?
    What happens if you find one just laying around?

Further conversations on mortality need to happen. What if adult becomes incapacitated or dies while solely caring for little one? Maybe while reaching into the gun safe or with carry gun on hip?

Then of course, the Four Rules of safe gun handling should happen EVERY TIME guns are discussed with those uneducated, young and old.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agreed on the locking up and away from the little ones.
    That said, conversations still need to exist on;
    This is mine, not yours.
    Can you touch, handle, shoot it?
    What happens if you find one just laying around?

Further conversations on mortality need to happen. What if adult becomes incapacitated or dies while solely caring for little one? Maybe while reaching into the gun safe or with carry gun on hip?

Then of course, the Four Rules of safe gun handling should happen EVERY TIME guns are discussed with those uneducated, young and old.

This! For my little ones, 9 and 6, who are simply not old enough to be trusted with unsecured guns, ours are all locked up. There is no mystery, and they know what happens when you are on the wrong side of the gun when it goes boom. They are not allowed to see them without asking, and we NEVER say no when they do ask. (unless of course there just isnt time due to other commitments such as an appt that just cant be postponed 20 mins)

They both know not to grab them from their resting place, and to wait for me to not only hand it to them, but to clear it first, AND show them it is clear. I test my oldest by not clearing one and try to hand it to him and almost always now he corrects me.

This hangs up in our home. Feel free to steal it. Thanks to the Characters of INGO, we have a family friendly sign that made it easy both to understand, and the older to recite.

Familygunsafetyrules.JPG

MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    No no I'm not one of those freaks. I teach the kids to shoot as well.
    I start with a 22 kit revolver, then a bolt action rifle, and then 28 gauge shotgun. Trying to ease them into it so they don't get recoil shy. About 11 they can shoot and reload a Glock.

This was the exact opposite of my father and uncles approach with me.
    The first pistol I ever shot was a 357 Smith. It scared me. Until I got over it.
    Then the .308 rifle.

I want it to be fun for them.

but a 5 year old with a 40 cal Glock I don't recommend if there's little exposure.
    its possible with exposure and teaching.

Top Bottom