• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I picked one of these up at the Ft. Wayne gun show Saturday. It's a 4", 5 shot L-frame 44 Magnun and it's the coolest gun I've bought in years!

Recoil with .44 Specials is brisk, but very manageable. Recoil with full house 240 gr magnums is definitely attention getting. I had heard very little about these guns, but they are easily found compared to the Model 696 I had been in search of. And a lot less expensive.

I'm surprised it took S&W this long to bring this concept to market. I plan to treat this to a steady diet of .44 Special cast bullet loads with the occasional cylinder of magnums when deer or hog hunting.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have its twin, the NM 66 Combat, and LOVE it. I'm not a huge fan of the glass bead finish, so use a bit of caution when cleaning it, it's not crazy durable. But the 66 shoots lights out, so much so that my younger brother got what you have with the NM 69. With 44 Specials, it's a complete hoot!

Here's a not-so-great shot of my 66:

SampW%20NM66%20Combat%20Magnum%2009.23.2015_zpsgiijf1ly.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

If you want to try it, I greatly enhanced my trigger in SA and DA with a simple Wilson Combat main spring and 13# trigger return spring upgrade. Made a night-and-day difference, and so far, nothing but reliable ignition with various ammo brands in both SA and DA. My brother had identical results with this upgrade in his 69.

Wilson Combat Custom-Tune Spring Kit S&W K L N-Frame

The new shrouded barrel helps with the updated ball detente design that locks the cylinder into place. DO NOT be alarmed that the ball bearing does not go all the way into the v-notch. It's not supposed to, and would be very hard to open if it did.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have its twin, the NM 66 Combat, and LOVE it. I'm not a huge fan of the glass bead finish, so use a bit of caution when cleaning it, it's not crazy durable. But the 66 shoots lights out, so much so that my younger brother got what you have with the NM 69. With 44 Specials, it's a complete hoot!

Here's a not-so-great shot of my 66:

SampW%20NM66%20Combat%20Magnum%2009.23.2015_zpsgiijf1ly.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

If you want to try it, I greatly enhanced my trigger in SA and DA with a simple Wilson Combat main spring and 13# trigger return spring upgrade. Made a night-and-day difference, and so far, nothing but reliable ignition with various ammo brands in both SA and DA. My brother had identical results with this upgrade in his 69.

Wilson Combat Custom-Tune Spring Kit S&W K L N-Frame

The new shrouded barrel helps with the updated ball detente design that locks the cylinder into place. DO NOT be alarmed that the ball bearing does not go all the way into the v-notch. It's not supposed to, and would be very hard to open if it did.

I have an older 66 and love the thing. That is a great platorm and would be an absolute hoot in .44 Mag.

Top Bottom