• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've got a nagging interest in a 3" Ruger, SP-101 with fixed sights but I have not been able to handle one in person.
    My question is are they or can they be smoothed up like a good S&W or do they even need it?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I still have one of the first models offered (around 1992 I believe) with the "125 gr. bullets only" stamped in the barrel. I bought it for my wife's carry gun. Yes, it will need "slicking up". Ruger does almost no deburr work on any of their guns which means that 15 minutes with some hard Arkansas stones makes a HUGE difference in the DA pull. There will be burrs in it. You can install slightly lighter springs but don't go too light or you will start to see primers fail to pop (especially CCI primers). I used to do a lot of revolver tuning years ago and I would say that while a Ruger DA revolver can be made smoother than stock and perfectly shootable - it's never going to even approach what a S&W trigger feels like simply because the trigger part geometry is completely different. Do not let any "smith" stone the hammer or sear any at all - Ruger will not sell you (or him) a new hammer or sear and the factory angles are just fine. The SP and GP Rugers are very good revolvers - especially for the money you pay. My wife loves hers ( and to tell the truth sometimes I "borrow" it) If you get one avoid 110-125 gr. hot magnum loads because they will start erosion of the forcing cone pretty quickly. Use 140-158 gr. moderate loads. Any loads that produce a huge fireball are going to shorten the life of the barrel. Slower heavier loads are easier on the gun - and your wrist - and will do the job just fine.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a newer release SP101 in .327Fed/mag.
    The trigger was a little gritty at first but has slicked up nicely on it's own.
    I have a couple hundred rounds down the pipe, but I have around 1500 or so dry fires.
    I took it apart and cleaned it well, then I applied a generous amount of engine assembly lube to the trigger parts.
    Reassemble, sit down to watch a movie and started pulling the trigger.
    HUGE difference.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a snubby 2.25" SP101. It's one of my favorite guns. It was my second gun and most frequently practiced with. By learning to shoot with this gun it made me more tolerant of perceived shortcomings of other handguns and pistols.

The longer trigger pull of a Ruger is a built in safety mechanism. How many AD incidents do you hear of involving Rugers? My Sig Ultra Compact 1911 on the the hand could easily be misfired.

I think even the recoil is more mild in a well built SP101.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I've got a nagging interest in a 3" Ruger, SP-101 with fixed sights but I have not been able to handle one in person.
    My question is are they or can they be smoothed up like a good S&W or do they even need it?

The SP101 is actually a very easy revolver to get an exceptional trigger. All it takes is: Gun smithing Know-how, Wolff Gun Springs and the IBOK instructions. Mine has a 5lb double action and an uber-light 1.8lb single action trigger. They are very different than working on a Smith, but I find them much easier.

My shiny SP101...

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Mine is one of the old ones after the 125 grain only era. It was long enough to chamber a 180 grain Black Talon. I only did that once. :rolleyes: I eventually replaced the trigger return spring but other than that it is stock. It is a tank.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have an SP-101 and S&W model 60, both 3". I like the looks and feel of the S&W but like shooting the Ruger. I don't find the trigger that much different on mine and I like the extra weight of the Ruger at the range.

tiretrack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    our side o the wire

I have a newer release SP101 in .327Fed/mag.
    The trigger was a little gritty at first but has slicked up nicely on it's own.
    I have a couple hundred rounds down the pipe, but I have around 1500 or so dry fires.
    I took it apart and cleaned it well, then I applied a generous amount of engine assembly lube to the trigger parts.
    Reassemble, sit down to watch a movie and started pulling the trigger.
    HUGE difference.

Mgderf, how is the recoil on the .327 Fed mag? I listened to Tom Gresham rave about the ballistics near .357 magnum with much less recoil and I have been interested in trying one out but cant find one to rent

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Mgderf, how is the recoil on the .327 Fed mag? I listened to Tom Gresham rave about the ballistics near .357 magnum with much less recoil and I have been interested in trying one out but cant find one to rent

I have one in .327. Personally I do not find recoil to be an issue at all...certainly less than .357. I enjoy shooting it. Also works well to teach new revolver shooters using various .32 offerings...very soft shooting.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My 3 inch SP101 was my EDC for a while until summer came along and I got tired of the weight on my belt in shorts. Got a 3 inch LCRX to carry. I still shoot my SP at the range, love how it handles. I put some Hogue grips to fit my hand and did a mild trigger job. Took it down and smoothed the parts with some light stoning, no changing angles or anything like that. Put a spring kit in from Midway and filled the trigger group with some generic toothpaste. Sat down and dry fired it over 1000 times, cleaned it out and lubed with some turbine engine lube from work. (I work at an airline, I get good stuff that has a shelf life for planes, but not guns).

Mine is not quite as good as my S&W triggers, but it is pretty close.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have a 3" SP101 and really like it with Hogue grips. I had a GP100 4" and it was/is a great gun, but just too big for my liking. But I missed having the revolver so I bought the SP101. I have carried it OWB but it's not a lightweight CCW. It points and shoots well and with regular 38s or +P doesn't kick a lick.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

TT,
    Recoil is certainly not as bad as full mag .357 loads, but it is NOT the "20% reduction over .357" that I had heard about.
    I have no issues at all with the .327 rounds, but then again, I really enjoy shooting the big-bore handguns, so...
    It is a really nice caliber for the SP101 and as posted up-thread, teaching new shooters using .32S&W or .32S&W Long to start off, followed up by some .32H&R mag, then finally on to full-load .327's.
    It's a nice, easy progression.
    I really like it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    My favorite load for the SP was "warm" .38 Spl. cast bullet loads. Easy to shoot fast and get hits with for most people and wangs that steel pretty good.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have the 3 inch barrel DA. It's surprisingly accurate @ 25 yards with 357 and 38sp but not fun to shoot at range on cold days. Like the Ruger triggers, also have a GP with trigger springs installed and love it. So I'm not a good one to talk you out of not getting a 101.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have the hogue grips on my SP101 too. I was very disappointed in Ruger for the ugly stock grips on the SP101. I bought a set of the custom wood inserts but still thought it looked ugly with the original grips.

My Sp101 shoots whatever I put in it. That's one of the things I love about it. 158 gr has a lot more recoil than lighter loads. I usually buy whatever is available and reasonably priced.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yuppers...since December 1994...a Christmas gift to myself (one of the best ever I might ad)! Mine is a 2.25" version in .357 magnum and sports a Meprolight Tritium front night sight, Badger Custom 'Boot' grips...and cruises around in a DeSantis RH OWB Holster...it's a very comfortable set-up!

I recommend installing a Wolff Spring set (I use the 10# set) and 'mildly' sanding the trigger bar with a fine-grit sandpaper...just enough to deburr it and make it smooth...with the Wolff Spring Set...it'll feel as nice if not nicer than a S&W!

Check out www.geminicustoms.com for ideas and lots of cool pics!

tiretrack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    our side o the wire
    TT,
    Recoil is certainly not as bad as full mag .357 loads, but it is NOT the "20% reduction over .357" that I had heard about.
    I have no issues at all with the .327 rounds, but then again, I really enjoy shooting the big-bore handguns, so...
    It is a really nice caliber for the SP101 and as posted up-thread, teaching new shooters using .32S&W or .32S&W Long to start off, followed up by some .32H&R mag, then finally on to full-load .327's.
    It's a nice, easy progression.
    I really like it.

Thanks, that's kind of what I expected. I am still interested in trying an lcr in .327 though

Top Bottom