• Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Coonan Inc ? Coonan Compact .357 Magnum 1911: Carry-Friendly Fight Stopper

It's been out a while but I just came across it. Looks fun. Wonder how reliable it is?

Scott_CCR_Article_10-2-15.jpg

Last edited:

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I have the Classic 5" model and it has been 100% reliable with factory ammo so far. From what I have read the compact model is just as reliable although it doesn't have to ability to shoot .38+p like the classic model. The compact is on my list of guns to buy

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have the Classic 5" model and it has been 100% reliable with factory ammo so far. From what I have read the compact model is just as reliable although it doesn't have to ability to shoot .38+p like the classic model. The compact is on my list of guns to buy

Good to hear.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Do you know why that would be the case?
    Just curious.
    Probably the spring rate of the recoil spring. The longer barrel model could compensate for the different pressures of the +p vs. the .357 mag.

I do wonder if you could change the spring to a lighter one and have the gun still work.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I have a couple of Colt 1911's in 38 sp Waddcutter, that are reliable as spring rain. Its gotta be even better reliability with bullets pokeing out the end.

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Probably the spring rate of the recoil spring. The longer barrel model could compensate for the different pressures of the +p vs. the .357 mag.

I do wonder if you could change the spring to a lighter one and have the gun still work.

The Coonan classic has a 22lb spring standard and comes with a 10lb spring to cycle .38 special +p. the compact has a 24lb spring I believe due to less slide mass. Coonan states that the compact will fire .38 special but will not cycle them. I don't have personal experience with the compact so I'm just going on what Coonan says.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Sounds like rescue signal gun to me. You might not him them but they will be blinded by the flash.

Oh, I don't know. I can hit what I'm aiming at with a Ruger SP101 with a 2.5 inch barrel. This might be better.

Why did I go look? Oh why, why, why? This is going to bug me until I order one in black duracoat. TALK ME OUT OF IT PLEASE!

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    TALK ME OUT OF IT PLEASE!

OK, well, it would be something rare that would be a conversation starter. You'd make lots of friends at the range. It looks really well-built. The .357 is a proven round. The 1911 is a proven design. It would be really comfortable to conceal, even in light summer clothing. Wait, I don't think I'm helping at all...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Oh, I don't know. I can hit what I'm aiming at with a Ruger SP101 with a 2.5 inch barrel. This might be better.

Why did I go look? Oh why, why, why? This is going to bug me until I order one in black duracoat. TALK ME OUT OF IT PLEASE!

Don't do it. You don't deserve a nice gun like that.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    OK, well, it would be something rare that would be a conversation starter. You'd make lots of friends at the range. It looks really well-built. The .357 is a proven round. The 1911 is a proven design. It would be really comfortable to conceal, even in light summer clothing. Wait, I don't think I'm helping at all...

LOL, no. I looked at the pictures, and one of an exploded view. It only looks like a 1911 on the outside. The guts look like Browning HP on steroids. That didn't help either, since I love HP's. I've also got a Star PD that is a hybrid of 1911 and BHP, and I really, really like it. The only thing that made me think twice is the one I want is going to top two grand. That's a big commitment.

LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    I just picked up a full size classic Coonan with the compensated barrel. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. The comp cuts down the recoil and muzzle flip really well. It comes with the 10 lb spring to use breaking it in, but the literature states it won't cycle 38 +P.

Top Bottom