• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy-t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I have the Glock 19 now but i keep hearing all the hype about the M&P 9 is better. Is it true or just a bunch of bull ?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Put your hand around the grip. Which one feels like a more natural grip. Move your finger to the trigger (always double check that the pistol is unloaded, then check again). Point it to a safe direction. Pull the trigger. Does the movement feel natural? Buy the one that feels best to you. I am not a poly frame gun guy, but have owned both for short periods of time, mostly due to trades. The S&W feels better in my hand and more natural to point and pull the trigger. Just like boots that fit you might not fit me, everyone is different, not wrong. They both shoot fine and last fine.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well..., I have two M&Ps and no Glocks so I can definitively say that I think I like the H&K VP9 and Sig P320 better than either of them...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I sold my M&P 9 and I still have my 19... I'll pick up a gun from time to time and think maybe I'll like this more than a Glock 19, but I always go back to it. I was liking the VP9 and the sig, I've also thought the same possibly about a CZ. Seems like I can't go wrong with a 19 though.

I'd just get a bunch of pistols! That's the only way it seems to really find out ;) it's different for everyone!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've tried to like Glocks, owned 3 now (G26, G19, G19-tb), they've all been sold. M&P 9, & VP9 remain. M&Pc 9mm in future, just watching for right deal. Prefer grips & triggers to the Glocks.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    "Better" is subjective. Some people love Glocks, some people love M&Ps. They are both good guns. If you are happy with your G19, I'd stick with it. I have owned and tried to like just about every Glock model in the past 20 years, and I always end up getting rid of them. That grip feel is just funky to me, the only one that ever felt halfway decent to me was the Glock 36, due to the slimmer grip. I now own mostly M&Ps, I prefer the curved trigger, American grip angle and more rounded feel. If the Glock grip feels good to you, no reason to switch. See if you can find someone with the M&P and shoot it before you make your decision. Or, if you really want to feel conflicted, try a Walther PPQ. One of the best triggers of any polymer frame pistol, right out of the box!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    So here come my thoughts... On the light side, I have owned/own roughly (lost count) 18 Glocks, 12 M&P's, 9 SA, and probably 10 HK's. I am pretty well versed in this subject and the topic of "picking" a plastic gun.

First off from a quality standpoint, HK wins this hands down... there is just no comparison on plastic pistols vs HK... You are also paying a bit more for them than the others.

With that said the M&P and SA pistols feel best in my hands... I would tell you to go hold each of them and see how your hand likes them.

Ok... onto what my personal feelings are on this. I carry both a Glock 42 (in summer), a Glock 19 (in winter), and a full size 1911 or HK 45 (when the time is right). I ALWAYS go back to Glock as a typical carry pistol for one reason... SIMPLICITY.

There are roughly 15 parts I need to count on for my Glock to function reliably. That means only 15 potential parts that can break
    There are roughly 25 parts I need to count on for my M&P to function reliably. That means 25 potential parts that can break
    There are roughly 37 parts I need to count on for my XDm to function reliably. That means 37 potential parts that can break

That is a rough estimate off the top of my head (did not look it up) shot at number of potential parts that can break (not total parts or moving parts)... Parts that need to work for the gun to function and fire.

Because of that reason I always go back to my Glocks. I do not like the way it feels better, I do not like the way it looks better, I do not like the trigger better... I like that its simple and has less potential fails that can happen.

So you first need to define "better" to be able to say which platform is better... Better barrel? Better Quality? Better Aesthetically? Better Feel? Better Accuracy? Better Parts? Better Warranty? Better/Simpler? And a lot of those "Betters" are not better for everyone.

Pretty loaded question without getting supper granular or specific with you question.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Keep whichever one you SHOOT best. I had a Glock 17, M&P 9 and an XDm all lined up in front of me. I really wanted the M&P, but I shot the XDm better. So I bought one. Never looked back.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As others have said, 'Best' is subjective and you'll get as many different answers as people answering it.

I own Glocks and M&Ps and I genuinely like my M&P9 Pro I have. Fantastic pistol that has never let me, or anyone borrowing it, down whether in a class or competition shooting. My 19 isn't my favorite Glock, that is my 34 but the 19 is just so right in so many ways. Slightly easier to carry and conceal, still holds 15 rounds and I like the feel of the Glock trigger better than the M&P. I think the Glock is the 'better' gun when figuring in all the aftermarket stuff you can do to it and they appear to hold more of their value when reselling that the M&P line does for some reason. My 2 cents! Shoot what you like and like what you shoot and you'll have always picked the right gun.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In the past I have owned at least three Glock products.

Two Steyr products.

One Springfield XD.

One Beretta 9000s.

One Kahr CW-40.

Two different chamberings in the Walther P99 platform - and two or three Walther P22 pistols.

AND owned a Sig P250 2SUM for a short time.

I now no longer own any of the above and currently like the S&W M&P platform.

And if I wasn't so fully invested in the M&P pistol line (both in terms of hardware and software), I'd probably go with the VP9

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Put your hand around the grip. Which one feels like a more natural grip. Move your finger to the trigger (always double check that the pistol is unloaded, then check again). Point it to a safe direction. Pull the trigger. Does the movement feel natural? Buy the one that feels best to you. I am not a poly frame gun guy, but have owned both for short periods of time, mostly due to trades. The S&W feels better in my hand and more natural to point and pull the trigger. Just like boots that fit you might not fit me, everyone is different, not wrong. They both shoot fine and last fine.
    This statement couldn't be more true. I have the opposite feeling. The M&P feels weird to me; like it wants to turn in my hand. So I chose the Glock. Assume quality is equal, then choose based on your individual feel. Don't be a brand whore.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

You laugh, but 10 years ago when I first got into handguns and was a complete and total newb, I bought matching pistols for myself and my wife. They were Glock 19's because of Tommy Lee Jones in US Marshals.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol." - Sam Gerard

I now understand that was marketing at it's finest. And it worked. However, as the years have gone by and I have tried other options out there, I have sold those other options and I keep coming back to my G19's. It's not "Perfection" as Glock says it is. What it excells at is being very proficient at many different uses. Nothing can be perfect at everything.

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    Had a Glock, M&P, and XD lined up in front of me and ran through all three multiple times and the M&P just felt right and was as accurate as I could be so I bought an M&P 9. I have smallish hands and glocks just feel like I'm holding a 2x4. Absolutely love my M&P.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I owned Glocks many moons ago and left that camp around 2008 when I introduced myself to the M&P platform. I sold the Glocks and have had many M&P variations since then. I have more recently begun selling off my M&P's since I discovered how much better I preferred the Walther PPQ family of pistols. I never once regretted selling the Glocks, since they never seemed to fit me and I never liked the 2x4" feel of the grip. I kinda regret selling the M&P's, since I never once had a reason to complain about them, and they gave me plenty of bragging target pics here on the forum. But, as good as the M&P pistol is, I feel the PPQ is better for me. It just feels like the perfect pistol for gglass... Until something better comes along. ;)

I will not likely ever own another Glock in my lifetime. Not because they are "that" bad, but because so many other pistols have evolved past them.

tommy-t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    You do have a good point about the potential parts of other guns breaking verses the Glock. That's alot of extra parts that could cause you trouble when you need it most. What i was referring to about the M&P Being better is the ergonomics.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They're both great pistols, you can get most aftermarket or factory parts/mags/sights cheaper for Glocks. I have both and enjoy both, I would get rid of the G19 last though. Pick the one you like better and roll with it. It's the Indian not the arrow.

Top Bottom