• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    New to 1911's an such an can't find info on the mags for them. Are all 1911 mags interchangeable or just like anything, only mags for there own brands work. Such as does a TISAS CLASSIC 1911 mag fit a like a SIG1911 an so on...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If they're the same caliber and type (double stack vs. single stack) they are, in theory, interchangeable. However different brands operate to different tolerances so you'll have to find the magazines that work well in your gun.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Most quality mags won't say the fit particular brands but Government/Commander model 1911s. I don't really know of any 1911 that won't fit a 1911 mag. Some are tight, some are loose, Some don't feed well for that particular gun. But thats the 1911 fun.

My favorites are Chip McCormick for 5 inch 1911s. I have a couple that are close to a decade old with only one new spring/follower kit I installed a couple years ago. They are going strong.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    For el-cheapos out there, mec-gar makes a quality item as well. For a carry gun I'd definitely use the Wilsons or McCormicks, but for range mags I've had good luck with Mec-Gar.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I agree with the comments about Wilson mags. They can be disassembled, cleaned, and more importantly, the springs and followers can be changed easily. I change all of my magazine springs and followers yearly.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I'll get flamed for this ......... my dan wesson came with 8rd checkmate hybrid mags and other than missing the checkmate logo my sig(s) 1911s have what appears to be EXACTLY the same mags as the DW, purchased additional checkmates and they've run perfectly in all mine and my son's 1911s, ......... so whether checkmate or sig branded checkmate are crap or not- maybe they are - but they've functioned reliably perfect for us @ about $20 - $22ish a piece.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I agree with the comments about Wilson mags. They can be disassembled, cleaned, and more importantly, the springs and followers can be changed easily. I change all of my magazine springs and followers yearly.

Wilson Mags are good. But I also disassemble and clean my welded floor plate CMC mags yearly. Only takes about 15 seconds to take apart.

Any quality brand will be good....some guns function with only certain mags. There are plenty of threads on Wilson's failing to feed as well as any other mag manufacturer.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Wilson's are good but "act mags" are much cheaper and just as good or maybe better. they are known to run well in a lot of 1911 brands and you can get them for 17 bucks on Brownells.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I ended up with some surplus mags a relative got me through CMP. They were about 7 bucks a pop and I haven't had any issues with the one I've been using for range duty.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I ended up with some surplus mags a relative got me through CMP. They were about 7 bucks a pop and I haven't had any issues with the one I've been using for range duty.

I ordered 10 1911 magazines from the CMP and they cost $87 shipped. The magazines were 1992 Checkmate 7 round ball magazines with dimpled followers.

Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore

Item ID:
    PS45MAGA
    Description: Magazines, .45 cal

1911 A1 Magazine. 7 round capacity for .45 ACP calibered
    semi-automatic pistol. Limit 10 per customer.

$8 each + shipping and handling.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'll get flamed for this ......... my dan wesson came with 8rd checkmate hybrid mags and other than missing the checkmate logo my sig(s) 1911s have what appears to be EXACTLY the same mags as the DW, purchased additional checkmates and they've run perfectly in all mine and my son's 1911s, ......... so whether checkmate or sig branded checkmate are crap or not- maybe they are - but they've functioned reliably perfect for us @ about $20 - $22ish a piece.

I've had the same luck with Checkmates in my S&W 1911 E. Went with those because they appear to be the factory magazine for my pistol; wasn't disappointed.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Thanks for the info and brands to watch for. Just wasnt sure what was what. Had people tell me the oposite. Guessing they thought they knew about the subject just to sound smart or something

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom