• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I just got my new XD9 Subcompact the other day. I was sitting here watching/listening to youtube and doing some dry-firing. I noticed that after a dozen or so shots, my hand started to hurt where the grip safety is. The bottom edge of it that sticks out the furthest grinds into my hand if i loosen my grip when racking the slide to reset the striker. Does anyone else get this? Any solutions other than "Man up" or "Don't suck so much"? :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I own a few plastic Springfields. A XDm and a XDs. I've never had a problem with what you are describing. A proper and firm grip should take care of the problem.

It might be that since your gun is brand new, the spring on the grip safety might be a little stiff or there could be something wrong with it. Maybe see if you can find another one like yours and compare the spring pressure.

Otherwise just man up!!!

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple xD's including the 9 subcompact, and I haven't experienced this. Does it look like all the parts are finished? Any burrs, flashings, or other anomalies?

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I invited a friend out to shoot my 1911 as he'd never shot one before and wanted to try one out. While at the range, he offered to let me shoot his sub-compact XD40 and it was just plain annoying. I don't know if it was the actual grip safety or the opening for it but something was digging in to or pinching the web of my hand. The gun shot fine but I was over that pinch in a hurry and handed the gun back to him. I'd like to have an XDS in 45acp but that little grip safety is in my head now :D

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    The spring that pushes that thing out might be getting removed here pretty soon. Maybe get a hogue grip for a full size and not trim it so it covers it up.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    M&P or Glock would be a solution.. :) One of the things you find out shooting a pistol VS just holding it.

Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] [/FONT]

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I've had 5 XD variants over the years and never once had that problem. Does the grip safety sit flush with the back of the grip when it's fully depressed? It should. If not (and it's raised and pressing into your hand) then I'd contact Springfield about having it fixed.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    It's flush when you have a full grip. There's no burrs, but they didn't smooth the edges very well. It's the transition from racking to getting that full grip where I notice it. The serrations on the slide are very minimal and the spring is a bit stiff, so I have to turn the gun to get a full hand on slide, to rack it. This shifts my grip causing the safety to dig in when I shift back to get a full grip. It's not a large movement, but it only takes a little to start feeling it after a while. If I take it out and file the edges, what's the best way to get those spots back to black again, or would it be better to sand it all off and polish it?

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Any solutions other than "Man up" or "Don't suck so much"?

Sorry, but I see no solution other than "Man up".

I have had XD's and an XDm for years, ( including the exact model you have ) thousands of rounds through them (wife and kids included) and have never noticed or had feedback from anyone similiar to what you are experiencing.
    Altering your gun by sanding or taking a file or (god forbid a dremel) to the grip is going to bite you in the arse.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's flush when you have a full grip. There's no burrs, but they didn't smooth the edges very well. It's the transition from racking to getting that full grip where I notice it. The serrations on the slide are very minimal and the spring is a bit stiff, so I have to turn the gun to get a full hand on slide, to rack it. This shifts my grip causing the safety to dig in when I shift back to get a full grip. It's not a large movement, but it only takes a little to start feeling it after a while. If I take it out and file the edges, what's the best way to get those spots back to black again, or would it be better to sand it all off and polish it?

Sounds like it is just the way you're holding it while you rack the slide. Go shoot the thing and get back to us.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I have a compact XDM 9...I have no problems with it at all

...so I have to turn the gun to get a full hand on slide, to rack it. This shifts my grip causing the safety to dig in when I shift back to get a full grip.

If I take it out and file the edges, what's the best way to get those spots back to black again, or would it be better to sand it all off and polish it?

Your grip shouldn't loosen up just by turning the gun on it's side. I don't have big hands and I can rack the slide with the gun upright. And maintain a full grip, depressing the grip safety, with the gun turned to either side. Or pointing straight up. Or straight down. Work on your grip some maybe. Don't mess with the grip safety. Why buy a gun with a grip safety if you're going to disable it or put a Hogue over it...

Altering your gun by sanding or taking a file or (god forbid a dremel) to the grip is going to bite you in the arse.

This reminded me of the customer I had who called me one day. His friend had "accidentally" put some kind of acid on the frame of his gun and etched some chrome off of it. He wanted to know if I thought he should just use more acid on it to even out the finish :rolleyes:

Sounds like it is just the way you're holding it while you rack the slide. Go shoot the thing and get back to us.

This. Shoot it. Work on your grip.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    So it's my fault for not holding it "right" when I'm casually sitting there dry firing? This is trigger feel, anti-flinch, and focus on the front sight practice. If I'm leaning back in my chair, relaxing, and doing this, I'm not going to strangle this thing enough to keep the safely fully engaged every moment.
    I have a guitar where the the first string was too close to the edge and would touch my finger and get deadened. I took it to a shop and asked for a new nut to be made where the string was moved in, away from the edge a bit. The guy wouldn't do it because I wasn't holding it "right". It's my guitar so I bought a blank nut and made it myself. I never had that dead string problem again. I don't take a lot of stock in some telling me I'm doing it wrong. If I'm doing something for fun, the hardware had better conform to me, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Youre doing it wrong...Deadened strings can be "fixed" by closer string spacing, but is just a band-aid for poor technique(been playing 15 years). Same thing with the gun.

If you want to be comfy...dont carry....carrying and shooting a gun is an inconvenience that we have deemed necessary because we bought the damn thing in the first place.
    Toughen those hands up....put the x-box controller back in your purse, and pick up a hammer or welder....build some callouses and fortitude.

Dont expect things to come easy just because you want them to....its what is wrong with our society.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    So it's my fault for not holding it "right" when I'm casually sitting there dry firing? This is trigger feel, anti-flinch, and focus on the front sight practice. If I'm leaning back in my chair, relaxing, and doing this, I'm not going to strangle this thing enough to keep the safely fully engaged every moment.
    I have a guitar where the the first string was too close to the edge and would touch my finger and get deadened. I took it to a shop and asked for a new nut to be made where the string was moved in, away from the edge a bit. The guy wouldn't do it because I wasn't holding it "right". It's my guitar so I bought a blank nut and made it myself. I never had that dead string problem again. I don't take a lot of stock in some telling me I'm doing it wrong. If I'm doing something for fun, the hardware had better conform to me, not the other way around.

Youre doing it wrong...Deadened strings can be "fixed" by closer string spacing, but is just a band-aid for poor technique(been playing 15 years). Same thing with the gun.

If you want to be comfy...dont carry....carrying and shooting a gun is an inconvenience that we have deemed necessary because we bought the damn thing in the first place.
    Toughen those hands up....put the x-box controller back in your purse, and pick up a hammer or welder....build some callouses and fortitude.

Dont expect things to come easy just because you want them to....its what is wrong with our society.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

Harsh tone, but correct intent...

Have you had any firearms instruction? I've had several students where I've had to find a way to politely explain to them that they're doing it wrong and provide examples why, then show them how to work things a different way. Typically, the ones that listen to me perform much better after adjusting how they are doing things.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Any solutions other than "Man up" or "Don't suck so much"? :)
    I guess that stipulation was thrown out the window pretty fast. I was looking for hardware solutions, not software. I should have known better than to ask the Internets.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You shouldn't have to 'strangle' an XD to disengage the grip safety. Either the safety spring is much too stiff (or something else is wrong with it), or you are holding it wrong.

Some folks plain and simply have issues with grip safeties. My FIL does. Just can't get a grip on it right, for whatever reason. So, he went back to his revolver.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I guess that stipulation was thrown out the window pretty fast. I was looking for hardware solutions, not software. I should have known better than to ask the Internets.

Without any of us being able to witness your handling of the firearm, we're trying to explain what we've found to be the issues with other we've helped in person. You asked for the Internets to help, but honestly you asked us to remove the vast majority of the possible fixes from the table. Most of us aren't trying to get snarky with you, so understand, without photos, videos, or one of us witnessing your shooting the firearm, we will believe that the issue (most likely) is software. It isn't personal, nor are we trying to make it personal... We're explaining what we've experienced.

Top Bottom