Just when you thought you had gotten out cleanly !

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Just when you think you have gotten out they suck you back in !

I had just gotten out of the .40 cal club concentrating on 9mm and .45cal, then S&W Performance Center had to up and improve there shield with a better trigger, hi-vis sights, and a ported barrel...............guess I'm back into the land of .40 cal again.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    On that gun it would be interesting to know if the ports in the barrel do anything beyond add noise and look cool. Maybe they do.

I'll know sometime this weekend after a little range time, but my experience with what I have owned that came out of there Performance Center ( 2- 1911's) is nothing is done for coolness

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'll know sometime this weekend after a little range time, but my experience with what I have owned that came out of there Performance Center ( 2- 1911's) is nothing is done for coolness

You may be right, just going by USPSA open guns, to make the comps work they are pushing lead at something like 1500 fps. Will be interesting. I think it is a safe bet that it will be loud :) .

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was never "in" that club, visited once or twice, and "pretty sure", I will not become a member .....

The exception, would be a gun like Allen M, let me shoot, at MCFG, it was sweet .....

Some kind of "race gun" .....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    On that gun it would be interesting to know if the ports in the barrel do anything beyond add noise and look cool. Maybe they do.

I never had a ported compact, but a ported full size pistol also blows hot greasy crap on you when shooting cast bullets. The pistol in this case is a caliber that there really is not much cast bullet ammo commonly found.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I never had a ported compact, but a ported full size pistol also blows hot greasy crap on you when shooting cast bullets. The pistol in this case is a caliber that there really is not much cast bullet ammo commonly found.

Wonder if a ported short barrel would spray burnt powder and gases back in you face?

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, I'm curious, why get the .40 version if you were getting out of .40.

Not sure I'd go for the Fiber Optic sights on a carry pistol vs a good set of night sights.

Those features on a full size gun would be potentially interesting, but just doesn't seem like a combination for a gun that is marketed as a easily concealable carry gun.

None of that is mentioned to put down your choice, as that is exactly what it is, and it is your money. Just curious on what made you pick it?

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Wonder if a ported short barrel would spray burnt powder and gases back in you face?

I own a 19C and a 23C and neither one has ever spat anything back at me ( left handed ) or my son, right handed. And that includes jacketed and cast bullets..

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Thanks for the responses everyone, the reason for going back to .40 cal , the 40 cal is the exact same size as the Shield in 9mm ( less 1 round),the balance and feel in my hand, the abundant supply of .40 cal again at my LGS,( when I got away from the .40 ammo was getting pricey and hard to find) and a killer deal that I got on it. The ported barrel should help control muzzle climb on such a light pistol, and with 50+ year old eyes the hi-vis sights are very easy to acquire on the target. I am hoping to get to the range today and see if this is a good all around replacement for my 1911 & Kimber Solo.

Ohhh and the most important reason, they didn't make a Mosin that works well for conceal carry. :cheers:

Top Bottom