• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    This is a silly question, but where can I find pistol prices at?

I've never purchased a gun before and I am doing some research into finding what I want to purchase for my first. I've fired a few different ones and I still have a lot of work to do before I narrow down what I really want in the end, but I can't seem to find a website that has prices listed. I suppose I could always drive to different shops, but that doesn't seem to be very efficient and I have a feeling that prices can vary $100 or more for the same gun from one shop to another.

Currently, I'm interested in Glock 19 Gen 4, Smith & Wesson M&P 9c or similar handguns (compact, 9mm, double-stack, striker-fired) and I'd like to get some idea of costs before I get my heart set on one.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Josh - visit a couple of shops. Braids, Plainfield Shooting Supply, Greywolf, Ft. Liberty, and others. Those named are on the west side. Prices will vary but you will get a range. Look at WTS on this forum. Google gun shops. Shop around. You will quickly get an idea of what you are looking for.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I generally compare prices from:
    budsgunshop
    impactguns
    grabagun
    palmettostatearmory
    joeboboutfitters
    woodburyoutfitters
    sometimes check on: Sportsmanwarehouse, gander, etc. websites

This will give you an idea (within about $50 of the going rate for any common gun, with less common guns/variants being somewhat harder to track specifically)

If you can find it locally for within 5% of online, buy it local and skip the shipping and transfer fees. PLUS it supports a local gun shop, which we want to keep around as much as possible!!!

ALSO, it is worth noting that getting your hands on the exact gun you might buy is a big bonus. You can feel the trigger. I've held some revolvers that had vastly different triggers even within the same model. It's worth $15-25 extra to know you like the grip, trigger, finish, etc exactly as it is on the actual gun that you may purchase.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I usually look at Buds to get an idea of pricing. Use the retail price and add $30 for transfer fee. My local shop is always within a few bucks of this price.

I have my opinion about what constitutes a good first handgun. In a nutshell look for a popular model from a respected manufacturer. Avoid very small guns when starting out and stay with the most popular cartridges. Those being 9mm, 40S&W, 45 acp and 38 special.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis

I've never purchased a gun before and I am doing some research into finding what I want to purchase for my first. I've fired a few different ones and I still have a lot of work to do before I narrow down what I really want in the end, but I can't seem to find a website that has prices listed. I suppose I could always drive to different shops, but that doesn't seem to be very efficient and I have a feeling that prices can vary $100 or more for the same gun from one shop to another.

Currently, I'm interested in Glock 19 Gen 4, Smith & Wesson M&P 9c or similar handguns (compact, 9mm, double-stack, striker-fired) and I'd like to get some idea of costs before I get my heart set on one.

I like to do a search in the classifieds. For example...search glock 19 in the handgun forums

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4762460

M&P 9c

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4762468

I like to see what they sold for in the classifieds and go from there.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Both of those guns would be a great first gun. I would say that you are looking at $400-500 for those guns.

The G19 mags are cheaper and easier to come by.

I have a set limit on used Glocks in good shape. $400 is my max regardless of what the seller has added to his prize possession. The same goes for a used M&P with a little less cost being around $350 for used.

Some people will try to recoupe the night sights, holsters and other gadgets they bought for them but they are rarely the gadgets I will want and therefore I'm not paying for them.

Good luck in your search. BTY I love me some German Shepherd. Most beautiful dogs on the face of the earth.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Both of those guns would be a great first gun. I would say that you are looking at $400-500 for those guns.

The G19 mags are cheaper and easier to come by.

I have a set limit on used Glocks in good shape. $400 is my max regardless of what the seller has added to his prize possession. The same goes for a used M&P with a little less cost being around $350 for used.

Some people will try to recoupe the night sights, holsters and other gadgets they bought for them but they are rarely the gadgets I will want and therefore I'm not paying for them.

Good luck in your search. BTY I love me some German Shepherd. Most beautiful dogs on the face of the earth.

Yeah Glock and M&P would be the two platforms to top my list of good first guns. Glue an is spot on about holsters and add on dodads. They do not raise the price of the gun unless it is something you want anyway. Extra mags are worth a bit. Around here LNIB used gun run around $400-$450. But I would buy new for your first handgun. Even used I would never recommend buying anything modified. Only factory stock guns.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Factory stock guns are no fun.

Did not say I leave all my guns stock. But I also don't want to chase down problems caused by Bubba the table top gunsmith. While I personally might be willing to take on a project the last thing a novice gun owner needs is to have problems. Sometimes used guns end up as trade ins for a reason. Buy a NEW factory stock gun, extra magazines, ammo, good range bag and learn to shoot the gun.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Try searching Gunbroker.
    Go to the advanced search and you can search closed auctions.
    This will show you what people are actually paying, as opposed to what sellers are asking.

Good luck.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Did not say I leave all my guns stock. But I also don't want to chase down problems caused by Bubba the table top gunsmith. While I personally might be willing to take on a project the last thing a novice gun owner needs is to have problems. Sometimes used guns end up as trade ins for a reason. Buy a NEW factory stock gun, extra magazines, ammo, good range bag and learn to shoot the gun.

Great advice Vert. If somebody has made changes to a gun (because the engineers at the Mfg are clueless) like recoil spring the a new shooter might think they are doing something wrong. I have made a lot of careless mistakes in the past looking for a great deal only to find out that I had to replace parts or rebuild something that ended up costing as much or more than new in the long run.

I have two of my LGS that make me killer deals on new guns. It makes used guns way less attractive.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I agree with buying new for a first firearm. The places listed above are all worth checking. I'll also say that if I lived by bradis, they would be the first place I checked.

Story: I wanted a particular gun. Called bradis, got price quoted. Showed up to buy gun, got quoted lower price without even asking. Not too many shops would have done that.

Bottom line: if you want the bottom dollar cheapest, it's going to be online. Then shipping, then transfer fees. For a few bucks more, go to a local shop, handle the exact gun you want to bring home, negotiate a cash discount, and save some headaches along the way.

Btw, the only shop $100 higher than anyone else is gander or cabelas. Don't bother going to the big box.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I generally compare prices from:
    budsgunshop
    impactguns
    grabagun
    palmettostatearmory
    joeboboutfitters
    woodburyoutfitters
    sometimes check on: Sportsmanwarehouse, gander, etc. websites

This will give you an idea (within about $50 of the going rate for any common gun, with less common guns/variants being somewhat harder to track specifically)

If you can find it locally for within 5% of online, buy it local and skip the shipping and transfer fees. PLUS it supports a local gun shop, which we want to keep around as much as possible!!!

ALSO, it is worth noting that getting your hands on the exact gun you might buy is a big bonus. You can feel the trigger. I've held some revolvers that had vastly different triggers even within the same model. It's worth $15-25 extra to know you like the grip, trigger, finish, etc exactly as it is on the actual gun that you may purchase.
    +1 on this
    Its always supporting your LGS esp if it $50. Yes money is money but after transfer and shipping it the same plus you are building a rapport with them, which can always help in the future.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Thanks all for the tips. I'm expecting to buy new, but wasn't sure how much to expect. I'll do some more research for sure. I'll have other things to consider like ammo, holster, safe, extra mags, training, etc. It's all going to factor in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Holster selection is even trickier then buying the gun. What works for you might not work for me. I would suggest starting with a quality outside the waistband holster. The holster should be made to fit the exact model of gun you want to buy. Kydex requires no break in like leather. But I do like leather! I say outside the waistband because it will work with your existing pants. For inside the waistband I would suggest buying a size larger pants. Either way you also will need a quality gun belt.

Top Bottom