Best Home Defense Handgun - To Glock or Not to Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Very new to owning firearms. Just recently received my Indiana Conceal Carry license and purchased a Glock 43 for that purpose. Would like to pick up another 9mm pistol more for the purpose of home defense (I also recently purchased a S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15). Would spend most of its life in a safe - but occasionally might like to carry once in a while also.

Have spent quite a bit of time researching and comparing online as well as watching countless YouTube videos. I thought I had my mind set on a Glock 19 but they seem to be a bit difficult to find for sale right now. Also, since I already have the 43, would I be better off getting the 17? For that matter, is there a non-Glock that I should be considering more? I am not super-stressed about the cost as long as the price/quality/value is in relative balance.

I know this is fairly subjective, but definitely value others opinions. Look forward to any/all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

Josh

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    My opinion: since you already have a Glock, I would go with another Glock. Why? All Glocks have the same mechanical design which means once you know how to use as well clean and maintain one Glock you know how to do them all. I personally like having all my handguns with the same design (with a couple of exceptions) so that I'm not wondering whether I need to engage/disengage a safety or think about a DA trigger pull versus a SA trigger pull. When you're under stress, you don't want to be trying to figure out if the gun you're holding has a safety or not; you just want it to work.

G17 vs G19: go find a range/gun store where you can handle/shoot both (if a range rents guns it is a sure bet that they rent Glocks). The 17 is a full-size service pistol and isn't really a suitable CCW (you say you want this firearm for home defense though, so size may not matter much). The 19 is what many consider to be the ideal tradeoff between small enough to be easily concealed vs. large enough to tame recoil and get a good grip on the firearm (no pinky hanging off the bottom of the grip like with the G43). The 19 can be either a CCW or HD firearm. With the 17 you get slightly more capacity than the 19 (17 vs 15).

In the end, it's up to you and what you prefer (everybody has differing opinions).

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you like Glock...go for it. I have Glocks...and I love 'em! I bought my first one on 9/11 and they've worked great for me for over 15 years!

The Glock 19 (mid-sized) 9mm pistol is the #1 best-selling pistol in the world...it doesn't have that title for no reason! I've got a Gen II model...love it!

If you wish to try something different, by all means go for it...just remember to practice, practice, practice...and when you're through with that, practice some more.

Two Questions:

1) Do you have a safety plan?

2) Do you have a 'safe' or 'regress' room or space that you can defend (easier or easily) if needed?

Lastly, but most importantly, keep in mind that using a gun to defend one's self is the ABSOLUTELY LAST RESORT ever...use your mind over your gun until you have no other choice...then play to win...cheat if you have to!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    2vwvarn.jpg

Hard to beat a Glock 34, if it's going to be a home defense gun.

For double duty home defense/occasional carry, I'd go with a Glock 19.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Very new to owning firearms. Just recently received my Indiana Conceal Carry license and purchased a Glock 43 for that purpose. Would like to pick up another 9mm pistol more for the purpose of home defense (I also recently purchased a S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15). Would spend most of its life in a safe - but occasionally might like to carry once in a while also.

Have spent quite a bit of time researching and comparing online as well as watching countless YouTube videos. I thought I had my mind set on a Glock 19 but they seem to be a bit difficult to find for sale right now. Also, since I already have the 43, would I be better off getting the 17? For that matter, is there a non-Glock that I should be considering more? I am not super-stressed about the cost as long as the price/quality/value is in relative balance.

I know this is fairly subjective, but definitely value others opinions. Look forward to any/all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

Josh

Here's one. You're gonna have to make 47 posts or buy your Site Supporter status to use the classifieds though.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...wts-new-glock-19-factory-threaded-barrel.html

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just to echo what has already been said, if you have a Glock already, and it's working fine for you, no need to complicate things just yet by adding anither design to the mix. I'd advise a G19 rather than the G17 as it's a bit more suited for carry and will accept G17 mags if you want a bit of extra capacity.

Glock, SIG, H&K, and M&P, et al all work fine. I just don't see any reason to complicate things at this point. In the future, sure, it's fine to try other designs.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you like Glocks get another one... In my opinion you can never go wrong with a Glock19, heck you can even carry it if you want. That being said if you like the 17 or 34 more that'd be just fine also. I carry a 19. I'll probably pick up a 17 or 34 at some point to make for a good can host. Any of the "larger" 9mm model Glocks would serve you just fine, just get the one you like best.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    2vwvarn.jpg

I like this response here. You can add Ghost +2 mag extensions for your 43 giving it 8 rounds per mag and that makes it an incredible carry weapon. The 34 would make a brilliant choice for home defense AND it is one of the most popular choices for the pistol shooting sports as well. No better way to get practice with your home defense gun than to attend some USPSA and/or IDPA matches. it is more expensive than the 17 or 19 but you get more gun. And I prefer Gen 4 over the other Generations for the gripper texture, larger magazine release button and the customizable grip size with the added back straps that come with the Gen 4 Glocks.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    (I also recently purchased a S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15). Would spend most of its life in a safe - but occasionally might like to carry once in a while also.

Josh[/QUOTE]
    Cant go wrong with a Glock but curious as to what holster you'll carry the M&P 15 in?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Thanks!

Josh

Use the AR15, pistols are for backup or when you don't have the luxury of using a larger firearm. With XM193 ammunition, it's not going to overpenetrate any more than a 9mm handgun will.

I know it's not the answer you want, but it's the honest truth.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    ^What he said.

Defend your home and family with the biggest, toughest gun you can.

I'll also add - If you do get a handgun but think it's going to spend most of its life in a safe I hope that safe is a rapid access jobby right next to your bed or hidden by the couch, etc. Somewhere accessible and not the big giant safe in the garage or basement all the other guns are stored in.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    (I also recently purchased a S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15). Would spend most of its life in a safe - but occasionally might like to carry once in a while also.

Josh
    Cant go wrong with a Glock but curious as to what holster you'll carry the M&P 15 in?[/QUOTE]

It's an IWB version. Grip prints just a bit though. ;)

^What he said.

Defend your home and family with the biggest, toughest gun you can.

I'll also add - If you do get a handgun but think it's going to spend most of its life in a safe I hope that safe is a rapid access jobby right next to your bed or hidden by the couch, etc. Somewhere accessible and not the big giant safe in the garage or basement all the other guns are stored in.

Great advice. I have two biometric safes. One for long guns and the other right next to the bed. Actually bought them before purchasing any firearms. :)

Thank you for all the responses, comments, and advice. Much appreciated!

I just purchased a new Glock 19 Gen 4 and should have it in a couple of days. Can't wait!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Like tombs said, use the rifle for home defense, I'd prefer a 12 gauge with 00 buck, but the rifle will be much more effective than a handgun at stopping a threat.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    2vwvarn.jpg

^^^ This
    Same controls, parts interchangeability.
    G19: Multi-purpose, rock solid
    G17/G34: Home, Range, Competition

G26, G19, G17 and G34 all accept G17 magazines.
    G43 is a single stack.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I admit this is of little help in making your choice, but you know what they say, you only use your HG to fight your way back to your rifle!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom