• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys, I have a question that furious go ogling has yet to answer. I have all the parts for a beretta 92f minus the frame. Other than another 92f frame, are there other variants which could take the same parts set? What about if the frame came complete, leaving just my slide to add?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The beauty of the 92 series is that you can have a box full of parts from 10 different pistols, and build up 10 functional pistols without worrying about matching parts.

I collected 92 parts for a number of years, and finally bought a frame that was assembled using parts from several sources. I bought the slide off gunbroker, the barrel from Brownell (who handle Beretta factory parts) and got the recoil spring and lock block new from Beretta directly. I figure the pistol was built up from at least 8 donors, plus the new parts from several sources. It functions so well that my son-in-law used it to practice for his military marksmanship shoot. Although he hates the M9/92FS for some reason, not only did my Franken92 serve him well but he qualified very well using the well worn M9 handed him by the Air Force.

The big difference between the 92F and 92FS is the FS has a hammer pin has a larger head that fits in a slot in the slide. This was designed to prevent the slide from flying off in the event of a major failure. You can use an FS slide with either small or large head hammer pin, but you cannot use an F slide with the large head pin as it would not fit.

This is one of the reasons that Beretta just puts the serial number on the frame, as the barrel and slide are built with enough tolerance that matching isn't needed.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It might be ugly, but it is 100% reliable and very accurate.

attachment.php

Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok, good to know. So with a 92f slide the fs frame is off limits. Think you could fill me in on the basics of the S and D variants? Ive read the S has the mag release at the bottom of the frame (I assume I'll need new parts for that) and something about the D frame being thicker?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You can use the F slide on the FS frame if you replace the large head trigger pin with the small head one from an F.

The D is double action only, with a bobbed hammer and no safety. The S model is the second generation (the "92" being the first). It was the first 92 series with the safety/decocker on the slide, but retained the mag release at the bottom of the grip which is popular in Europe.

There is also a G model, that has the slide mounted decocker that is decock only, no safety.

If you really want your head to spin, when I first got into the Beretta 92 series I thought it would be cool to collect the whole series, until I studied it and found there are over 100 variants, not including Italian versus USA, slant versus straight dust cover, and straight cut versus radius cut back strap.

Also, the M9 is virtually identical to the 92FS except for markings. Originally it did not have the radius cut back strap but later versions have popped up with either style. Seems when Beretta needs to get a pistol to the military, it doesn't matter if the frame comes from the commercial pile.

About the only modifications people make to the G, F, FS, and M9 is to replace the trigger spring with the spring from the D model as it provides a much nicer trigger pull.

And then there is the Vertec version that has a straight grip similar to the 1911.

And the Type M which is a single stack.

And the various compact versions.

As I said, the 92 series has enough versions to drive a collector crazy. (Crazy as trying to figure out how to afford the over 100 versions)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It might be ugly, but it is 100% reliable and very accurate.

attachment.php

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have never thought of the 92 series pistols as ugly.
    Come to think of it, just about all of Beretta's pistols are pretty handsome.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually I should have typed in purple, sorry. The reason I called it ugly is that nothing matches on the pistol. There are three shades of black, three shades of silver, and the miss-match was the ugly thing I was talking about. Should have been more explicit, sorry. ;)

If you saw my 92 collection you would understand how much I do like the looks, feel, accuracy, and reliability of the venerable 92 series.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Actually I should have typed in purple, sorry. The reason I called it ugly is that nothing matches on the pistol. There are three shades of black, three shades of silver, and the miss-match was the ugly thing I was talking about. Should have been more explicit, sorry. ;)

If you saw my 92 collection you would understand how much I do like the looks, feel, accuracy, and reliability of the venerable 92 series.

Cerekote that sucker! You should post a pic. I've developed a real interest in the 92/M9 series recently and am fascinated by them.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Cerakote is a good idea, but I like the mismatched look as it is now. It just shows how great the design of the 92 series is, that you can put a bunch of parts from a dozen pistols in a box, pull them out at random and build a fully functioning, very accurate pistol.

Some people complain that they are so big and heavy, but I personally have small hands and have no problem shooting one all day long. I do love the simplicity of the design and how easy they are to disassemble for cleaning.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm also fascinated by the looks/design of the 92 series. I think the 92FS INOX is gorgeous. My OCD tendencies make that exposed barrel bother me to no end, seems it would attract so much grime and grit. But an INOX with some rosewood or cocobolo grips... YESSS please!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry for the low quality photo. Wasn't paying attention when I took the picture, and since these guys are now back locked up in their holding cells, it will be a while until I get the energy to dig them out and get a better picture. Retirement makes me soooooo lazy. :D :D :D :D :D

Top Bottom