A modern day classic, the process of a custom 1911 (lots of pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I have a very special treat for this forum! Around 8 months ago, I asked Brandan Bunker of Bunker Arms to build me a 1911. We went ahead and talked about what my vision of the pistol would be... I told him, I wanted a 1911 that had the theme old meets new! Meaning, if JMB had access to modern day machines, what would his take on the 1911 have looked like. I basically told him to take one of the old sub 100 serial number Colts, and put a modern day spin on it... with his own artist freedom! I gave him some minor "must haves", but I knew he would deliver.

Its not often that you will get a custom smith to share progress pictures along the way, but Brandan is a one of a kind guy and he has been sharing what the progression has looked like since the start!

When we first started talking, the first thing was caliber choice... I think it was appropriate that the choice was 38 super. I asked to have a second barrel fit for 9mm as well and to have a second extractor tuned so that I could use one set up for 9mm and 38 super comp, and the other straight 38 super. I ask that you enjoy the pictures and I always love hearing feedback from the masses on anything I have!

In religious context the number 7 is the number of completeness and perfection... I certainly hope that my choices did the number justice with BA0007.

Without further ado...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    wow! nice piece of art!, tbh the only think I don't like is the hammer(to me it don't look right), but everything else is beautiful! the blue on the screws and safety, slide stop are amazing!

the fit of the frame/slide look so tight that I couldn't move!

so, is she a shooter? or a safe queen? if you shoot her I want to see range pics! that beast looks like she'll shoot 1 hole groups!

congrats on a beautiful gun! she's jus about the sweetest 1911 I've ever seen!

whats the second barrel/spring for?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    baby-drooling.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    wow! nice piece of art!, tbh the only think I don't like is the hammer(to me it don't look right), but everything else is beautiful! the blue on the screws and safety, slide stop are amazing!

the fit of the frame/slide look so tight that I couldn't move!

so, is she a shooter? or a safe queen? if you shoot her I want to see range pics! that beast looks like she'll shoot 1 hole groups!

congrats on a beautiful gun! she's jus about the sweetest 1911 I've ever seen!

whats the second barrel/spring for?

First, the hammer... I thought it was def appropriate to have a "spur style" hammer in light of the class and look we were going for... def get it though:) Might not be everyones cup of tea... for me, its just another subtle detail that screams old school meets new.

The second barrel and spring is as follows... the pistol is coming equipped to shoot either 9mm or 38 super comp/38super. One barrel for each caliber and one spring for each...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    First, the hammer... I thought it was def appropriate to have a "spur style" hammer in light of the class and look we were going for... def get it though:) Might not be everyones cup of tea... for me, its just another subtle detail that screams old school meets new.

The second barrel and spring is as follows... the pistol is coming equipped to shoot either 9mm or 38 super comp/38super. One barrel for each caliber and one spring for each...

gotcha! now the hammer works for me!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    so, is she a shooter? or a safe queen? if you shoot her I want to see range pics! that beast looks like she'll shoot 1 hole groups!?

And yes, Ill be shooting the snot out of her. No reason drop a ton of cash on a pistol, have it chambered in two calibers, and let it sit around... I doubt Ill be carrying it for CCW, but Ill be running this gun harder than any of the previous pistols I have owned...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I find the contouring detail on the grip safety to be interesting. Looks quite comfortable in the hand.

What wood selection on the grips?

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I find the contouring detail on the grip safety to be interesting. Looks quite comfortable in the hand.

What wood selection on the grips?

Yes... to the grip safety blend and contour. I do not know of a 1911 smith or builder who blends and shapes a grip safety better than Bunker... including Jeremy Reid (who is an amazing smith in his own right).

As far as the grips are concerned, they are hand crafted rosewood with double diamonds (again for an old meets new look). I could have had him do some type of exotic grip like on the NH make over pistol he did (its posted on the forum), but it just didn't seem appropriate for this one.

I have a set of Craig Spegel french walnut double diamond grips I may throw on just to see how it looks, but I am hesitant as the pistol looks flawless top to bottom as it sits now.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Absolutely gorgeous!!! You (and Brandan) know how to come up with stunning 1911. :thumbsup:

Where are all the 1911 guys at? They have to see this.

Top Bottom