• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I very recently acquired a used but LNIB , and I do mean like new 4.25" 9mm M&P Pro series pistol that I bought from the FS HG section here at INGO from a really great fellow member. I have been aching to get into IDPA for a long tome now have been researching to death what full sized pistol to buy. For months I went back and forth between full sized M&Ps, Glocks, H&Ks, PPQ-M2s, FNHs, and SP-01's as well as other CZs. I was as indecisive as a guy locked in a mattress factory with the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders in that I lusted after them all but simply could not make up my mind which of these beauties I wanted and just as was the case with the cheerleaders no way could I afford them all.

Please keep in mind these are the opinions and observations of a novice and those more knowledgeable than myself would likely disagree with my findings. I would also like to bluntly state I have never been a rabid fan of any particular type of firearm, I own a little of a lot of different makers guns and if any type of equipment firearms or otherwise sucks, I will loudly denounce it as such.

Thankfully fate combined with financial reality and intervened, on my behalf. A good deal on a great gun happened my way and I wisely acted.
    I took home my new best friend and gave it a going over and completely familiarized myself with the owners manual and the firearm itself. I know the first edition M&Ps were reported as having poor triggers. The trigger on my newly acquired Pro was although not great as the Apex upgraded triggers I have tried, it was quite functional none the less. I would describe it as having a slight effortless take up to a dead stop then a crisp break with so little over travel you have to make a strong, deliberate and concentrated effort to notice it. It has short, tactile, distinct, and audible reset, not on par with say a PPQ-M2's reset, but still quite good IMHO. My only complaint about the trigger is I wish it's reset click was louder. I don't at this point in my experience of shooting HGs have enough experience to give a legitimate evaluation of the triggers feed back to the shooter, although I will say if I shot at a pace comfortable for ME, I could understand what the trigger was trying to tell me, but if I started to shoot quicker than this, my accuracy instantly suffered. I was also impressed for the guns over all quality of build, and ease of assembly and disassembly. Once I had it disassembled, using a strong light I could find no left over machining marks or imperfections of any sort in the slide, frame or magazine. The only thing left was to lubed it according to said OM and next day it was off to the gun range with 340 rounds of the fallowing assorted factory ammo.
    <>100 rounds of 115grain federal American Eagle
    <>50 rounds of 115 grain Fiocchi
    <>50 rounds of 124 grain Winchester white box
    <>20 rounds Federal JHP
    <>20 rounds of 115 grain Hornady Critical Defence
    <>50 rounds of 115 grain Remington UMC
    <>50 rounds of 115 grain Herter's.

I know 340 rounds a reliability test does not make, but the gun ate everything I fed it and shot quite well. mixed HPs and FMJ of all types and it functioned perfectly, I might add I did this with all four of the factory magazines that came with the gun and had exactly zero failures of any sort, but again I will grant this is 340 rounds not 3400.

so I am quite satisfied with my choice now on to IDPA and my progressive reloader.

Last edited:

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    M&P make a fine handgun I have a 5" pro with the apex trigger , love it . The gun has never failed me and I have put a lot of rounds through it , you won't be disappointed

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I recently purchased a m&p 9. Not the pro but I still love the pistol. My concern is with one of the magazines. I get FTl every 2-3 rounds. The other magazines is flawless. Shoots as fast as I can pull the trigger. I can't see any difference in the body of the magazine. Somebody suggested that I get a new spring but I have a problem with spending money to fix something that is new. Does S&W resolve issues like this?

singlestacker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Porter County
    I shot 5" Pro, with Apex competition parts kit installed, last season. I put over 10K rounds (USPSA & IDPA) through it without issue. I started experiencing "dead triggers" recently. Apex suggested replacing the springs, which corrected the problem. The only dislike I have is the excessive overtravel. Other than that, it's a fine handgun.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good choice! I am a Glock fan without shame or question but I'd easily recommend an M&P to anybody looking to get into a quality pistol. I also have an M&P9 4.25" Pro and it is a fantastic gun! Several thousand rounds through it, including a 2-day self-defense course that ran 1100 rounds without cleaning or issues! Keep us posted on more of your M&P experience, your IDPA matches and your reloading adventures too!

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Good choice! I am a Glock fan without shame or question but I'd easily recommend an M&P to anybody looking to get into a quality pistol. I also have an M&P9 4.25" Pro and it is a fantastic gun! Several thousand rounds through it, including a 2-day self-defense course that ran 1100 rounds without cleaning or issues! Keep us posted on more of your M&P experience, your IDPA matches and your reloading adventures too!

Will do.

Top Bottom