• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm going to be "thinning the herd", and I've decided to only keep one of my Smith .357's.

If YOU could only keep one... which one?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am partial and love my 686 with a 4". In fact if I could only have one handgun it would be that one. Nothing wrong with a 19 I love K frames as well but more in 38 flavor. JMHO

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You have a tough decision to make for sure. I believe I would have to keep the 686 if I were planning numerous range trips with moderate to heavy usage. The 686 will take it more readily than the M19 imo. Nothing wrong with the 19's but their not up to the task compared to a 686.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I like both of the guns but if I had to keep one I would keep the 19. Granted the 686 is a stouter and will hold up to hotter rounds but most people will never shoot a 19 loose or cause forcing cone issues.
    Also the 19's are getting harder to find and may be harder to replace if you decide you want to in the future.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Right now I can't afford to be a collector. I plan on using it primarily as a home defense gun.

I probably should make a range trip before I decide for good, with the most shootable grips on each one.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I like both of the guns but if I had to keep one I would keep the 19. Granted the 686 is a stouter and will hold up to hotter rounds but most people will never shoot a 19 loose or cause forcing cone issues. Also the 19's are getting harder to find and may be harder to replace if you decide you want to in the future.

I think Coban nailed it. I believe the 686 is the better gun of the two, I love my 3" Plus model... on any given day, I could pick it as my favorite handgun. However, unless you know you will never want to pick up another S&W 357 in the future, you can always get another 686... the 19, though, that's getting harder to come by.

I'm still kind of kicking myself for not jumping on that nickel 19 BBI snagged from the classifieds.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think Coban nailed it. I believe the 686 is the better gun of the two, I love my 3" Plus model... on any given day, I could pick it as my favorite handgun. However, unless you know you will never want to pick up another S&W 357 in the future, you can always get another 686... the 19, though, that's getting harder to come by.

I'm still kind of kicking myself for not jumping on that nickel 19 BBI snagged from the classifieds.

Broke as I am, I think I PM'ed a "me too" on that one just in case..

Top Bottom