SCORED a rare 98% Detonics Combat Master in 9mm!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yesterday I picked found a beautiful little Detonics Combat Master, its in 98% condition, and its a 9mm. Out of the entire run of Detonics guns, only about 300 to 350 of them were chambered in 9mm. It will be a nice addition to my modest collection, and will fit nicely next to my even rarer 38 Super Combat master (about 225 to 250 of those were produced). This gun is virtually new.

Detonics Combat Masters, for those who don't know the history, were very innovative and many features they pioneered 30 years ago are now standard on premium pistols today.
    • Detonics was the first to make a compact 45acp, the Colt Officer model was actually a copy of the Detonics Combat Master.
    • Detonics was the first to use a bushingless tapered bull barrel, which is now found on most compact pistols and nearly every target/competition grade pistol.
    • Detonics was the first to use a multiple spring recoil system and further they contained it with a solid guide rod. Depending on the model/caliber, there could be 2 or 3 springs on a Detonics guide rod.
    • Detonics developed a loaded magazine indicator, which can be seen as a small tab protruding from the bottom of a fully loaded magazine. (this was less than successful and if you 'slammed' a magazine into your gun with the butt of your weak hand you'd often find you had a bloody palm!)
    • Detonics moved the rear sight forward and relieved the rear portion of the slide allowing you to fan back the hammer with your weak hand to put the gun into firing condition (in the 1970s/early 80's it was not common to carry a gun 'cocked & locked' so many carried with the hammer down and a round in the chamber, something most now feel is unsafe)
    • Detonics, to aid concealability, eliminated the beavertail safety (they actually disabled the grip safety and cut off the beavertail). This makes the gun about 1/2" shorter than guns with extended beavertails, but the shooter must be careful to grasp the gun low or the slide will slice open the web of his hand.
    Detonics pistols were designed for professionals. It is very common to find older models that are well worn and shot out. These guns were designed to be used, designed to be carried, and when they were produced the people who bought them did exactly that. Sorry about the photo quality, these are camera phone pictures.

For comparison I've shown this gun with a modern two tone Para Warthog and a fairly early production all blued Combat Master. The Warthog has a 3" barrel, while the Combat Masters had a 3.5" barrel.

The best this is that I commonly find 9mm versions in good condition for about $1500 but I paid well under 1/2 that price for this beauty!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now all you need is an ankle holster for it and a Bren 10 in a shoulder rig and you're Sonny Crockett!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Brother, Nice Score :thumbsup: but what do you think about the Para Warthog. I've been thinking about acquiring one. The only thing that has stopped me is the price ;)

I've got the Colt but do not carry it, it's been a safe queen :D and I just hate safe queens :draw:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Brother, Nice Score :thumbsup: but what do you think about the Para Warthog. I've been thinking about acquiring one. The only thing that has stopped me is the price ;)

I've heard horror stories about Warthogs, but mine has never (and I mean absolutely NEVER) jammed, failed to fire, failed to feed, fail to eject no matter what I have thrown through it. I love it. Seems that many of the people who have problems with Warthogs are inexperienced with small frame autos, at least based on the internet boards I read. Then there are people like me who jump to defend the pistols because we've never had a problem. I honestly don't know what to say other than I do trust the Warthog with my life. I don't think I can give a better recommendation than that one.

FWIW, I bought my Warthog used, paid $500 for it. Bought it from a guy who said it was unreliable. :n00b: I'm a fan of small guns and the price was right so I figured it would be a fun 'range' gun if it was unreliable. It eats up lead SWC reloads, Hydra-Shocks, discount FMJ, even the dirty Wolf brand ammo.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Cool. A friend has a .45 that's pretty neat (and I've got to where I like very few 1911-types smaller than a Gov't Model, and it still impresses me). A 9mm or Super would be extra-neat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Went out to the back yard to do some shooting.

The 9mm is a real pleasure to shoot. I found I had some problem keeping the groups really tight, might very well have been bad eyesight? This is a fairly typical grouping, shot at 7 yards.
    Realize these pistols are defensive guns, designed for short range work, sights are fairly small, and the sight radius is shorter than any other 1911 because the rear sight is moved forward because of the scalloped rear portion of the slide.​
    I consider this Minute of Troll accuracy :n00b:

I've included a photo showing the new 9mm MK V Combat Master next to a 45ACP MK VI Professional Model Combat Master for comparison.

Top Bottom