• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I used to be tempted to buy small, concealable handguns, and certainly there are quite a few quality ones on the market in respectable calibers. The LC9s, the PPS, the XDs, the Shield, the GLOCK 43, and many others. They are compact, easily carried, unobtrusive, lightweight, and convenient.

However, the reason I will no longer even consider buying one is simple: because I might be tempted to carry it rather than a full-size, high capacity handgun. After all, the reason I carry a handgun is because I believe I might actually NEED it to defend my life or the lives of my family or friends. And I don't carry a particular weapon primarily because it is lightweight or concealable or convenient. I primarily carry a particular handgun because it can contribute significant firepower in my efforts to survive a hostile encounter. Small, single stack handguns and revolvers just don't offer the same amount of firepower as full-size, double stack handguns.

Me? I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm with an APEX Flat Faced trigger and Trijicon HD night sights. It gives me 18 shots before I need to reload and 35 shots with one extra mag on my person. It is (relatively) lightweight, has a fantastic trigger pull, has wonderful contrasting night sights, and feels great in the hand. It is made to contribute significantly to my survival in a bad situation, and I cannot imagine ever finding a better pistol than the one I currently carry.

No more small guns for me. Just too many disadvantages.

Vanguard.45

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I never purchased one for the very same reasons, but I find myself needing a smaller frame every now and then.

BTW, do you want me to change your username to Vanguard9mm? :):

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    You must not have a job where having a pocket gun is your only option. The little gun you have is better than the big one that is at home.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I see your point OP, however my theory is if you need 35 shots you are either A) a really bad marksman, or B) facing way more people than you could take out before they return fire.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I see your point OP, however my theory is if you need 35 shots you are either A) a really bad marksman, or B) facing way more people than you could take out before they return fire.

I subscribe to the theory that no one involved in a shoot out wished they had less ammo available to them.

People are horrible shots during times of adrenaline fueled motor control.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    You must not have a job where having a pocket gun is your only option. The little gun you have is better than the big one that is at home.

+2

With certain attire it's much easier to conceal a small gun with several mags than it is to work around a larger weapon plus mags.

JMO

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    However, the reason I will no longer even consider buying one is simple: because I might be tempted to carry it rather than a full-size, high capacity handgun. After all, the reason I carry a handgun is because I believe I might actually NEED it to defend my life or the lives of my family or friends. And I don't carry a particular weapon primarily because it is lightweight or concealable or convenient. I primarily carry a particular handgun because it can contribute significant firepower in my efforts to survive a hostile encounter. Small, single stack handguns and revolvers just don't offer the same amount of firepower as full-size, double stack handguns.

No more small guns for me. Just too many disadvantages.

Vanguard.45

If you are concerned about having enough firepower, I think you might be right. I carried a SD9VE until I bought a little Taurus TCP. I tend to carry the little TCP because it is so concealable and I don't notice it at all. I figure if I can't solve the problem with 6, I probably can't solve it with 16. The only issue I have is that the darn little thing is the hardest gun to shoot accurately I have ever had. The BG has to be close.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Aside from capacity, I have found the glock 19 to be much easier to shoot and manipulate than the 43, let alone tiny guns like the lcp. That said, when I do not feel like I can get away with the 19 and the lcp, I carry just the lcp.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I understand your point OP, but I'm a fan of the small, single stack pistol. It's the gun I carry when I would otherwise have to go without a gun. I don't carry is as an EDC gun and have never been tempted to carry it instead of any of my full size pistols. Sure, it's not the best choice for carry, but if the choice is the small single stack 9mm or nothing, then I'll gladly carry the 9mm.

To each, their own though. If you can swing the big gun full time, more power to you. I wish I could carry one of the 1911s or the G30 with me everywhere, but that's just not possible.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, the OP is a uniformed police officer?

If not, that link is irrelevant. When was the last time an armed citizen got into a protracted firefight with a bad guy?
    Unless you make a habit of intentionally going into harms way, a single stack with an extra mag or two is more than enough.

Why is it irrelevant?
    Do police officers encounter super-bad-guys?
    They may have a increased chance of needing the gun, but once it is needed, seems that they are encountering the same people we would.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why is it irrelevant?
    They may have a increased chance of needing the gun, but once it is needed, seems that they are encountering the same people we would.

Because the motivations aren't the same, and the risk/reward of sticking around for a fire fight is quite different.

I approach you for your wallet. You pull a gun. I can go find someone else who has a wallet and does not have a gun.

A cop approaches me and I know I've got a warrant for that robbery where I shot some dude. If I can't stop you from calling me in, calling for backup, etc., I'm looking at life in prison.

Which presents more incentive to shoot it out?

Distances are quite a bit different. You can ambush a cop from a distance. You can't rob someone from three houses down.

Targeted crime (ie domestic, dope dealer on dope dealer), LEO shootings, and random street crime shootings are all distinct categories. Somethings are universal. Many things are not.

Certainly nothing wrong with a bigger gun or more ammo, assuming you shoot it as well (or better) and can deploy it appropriately.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why is it irrelevant?

It's not about the people. It's about the encounter. It's exceedingly rare for a non-LEO self defense shooting to be more than 5 rounds.
    Nothing wrong with carrying a full size gun and an extra mag, but the chances of needing 35 rounds are almost nil.
    What if you need 36 rounds?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I understand your point OP, but I'm a fan of the small, single stack pistol. It's the gun I carry when I would otherwise have to go without a gun. I don't carry is as an EDC gun and have never been tempted to carry it instead of any of my full size pistols. Sure, it's not the best choice for carry, but if the choice is the small single stack 9mm or nothing, then I'll gladly carry the 9mm.

To each, their own though. If you can swing the big gun full time, more power to you. I wish I could carry one of the 1911s or the G30 with me everywhere, but that's just not possible.

Yep, same here. I normally carry a bigger gun OWB, but if I'm going to a movie theater or somewhere guns aren't allowed, my little Shield is tucked behind my hip at 4 o'clock with a t-shirt over it. I've tried concealing larger guns, but they never worked out for me. The Shield works fine where I would normally have to choose between having a gun or not having a gun.

It's not about the people. It's about the encounter. It's exceedingly rare for a non-LEO self defense shooting to be more than 5 rounds.
    Nothing wrong with carrying a full size gun and an extra mag, but the chances of needing 35 rounds are almost nil.
    What if you need 36 rounds?

Exactly. If you read into that article, a full sized gun with ~20 rounds isn't even enough. I'm not subscribing to that level of paranoia. I feel like my Shield and 2 spare mags is adequate to most situations I might find myself in. On the other hand, if I were a police officer, going into danger on a daily basis, I would do things differently.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    17 years behind a badge, going to places that others were fleeing and I never had to shoot anyone. I seriously doubt that I will have to shoot someone as a civilian when I have the good sense to leave a bad situation before it gets worse. That being said, I do carry a Kahr on a regular basis. Because it's better to have gun and not need, than need one and not have it. Heck I still will pack my original back up, a Colt Detective Special because I can hit with the little thing instinctively better than any handgun I own. If you think that 30+ rounds is what you need to feel safe, by all means carry that. But some of us don't feel that need. and a smaller handgun is more convenient, and makes it easier for us to carry every day.
    I recommend that people get smaller than duty size for a carry gun, because for many a full size handgun is not practical for concealed carry. They get purchased because of the perceived firepower advantage. But get left at home because of extra weight and bulk. If you are the exception and like to carry full size, that's fine but most people won't and the gun is left behind, when a smaller gun gets taken along.
    There is a reason the "Carry Nine" has become so popular is its a great balance between weight, capacity and shoot-ability. The popularity speaks volumes to the decision made by many knowledgeable shooters to balance the carry equation, of firepower vs. weight.

Top Bottom