What do you wish you'd known when buying your first handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm thinking of expanding my original "how to select a handgun" guide and would like to know what pitfalls you think you could have avoided early on if you'd only known.

For me, the importance of a good holster and holster availability would have been good info. I was that guy with a heavy revolver in an Uncle Mike's constantly having to tell on myself by adjusting it to keep it from coughing out.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    For me, the importance of a good holster and holster availability would have been good info. I was that guy with a heavy revolver in an Uncle Mike's constantly having to tell on myself by adjusting it to keep it from coughing out.

^This. And the importance of a good belt to go with said heavy revolver in a good holster.

And never stray from wheelguns. ;)

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    1. You can't get use to the way a handgun fits your hand, it does or does not. You can train around it, and get better, however. A natural point and that fits like a glove gun makes up for a lot of ammo down range. My Python is beloved but the S&W 19 always fists me better and that makes up for a more difficult trigger on the Smith.
    2. Everyone wants the capabilities of a full size duty gun, but carrying one is a pain in the butt compared to a mid size or compact.
    3. There is a reason some guns become classics, you may want something different, but many times in the long run you realize the popularity of some of the gold standards is there because they are just better. It may be cool to have something different that others but sometimes the diamond in the rough stays rough.
    4. You can't purchase ability, having the same gun as LEO's or Navy Seals does not equate to having the same skills. I know your post is about handguns but I know of several "sniper rifles" that have never been fired a more than one hundred yards. But the owner swears his gun makes him lethal at a thousand. Some of that thinking rubs of on handgun buyers also.
    5. Consider the price of the ammo. or if a upper in .22 is available for cheep practice. Yea 400 Corbon's and 357sigs are cool and powerful, but for someone getting into handgunnin they are expensive. And it takes lots of ammo to be proficient with any handgun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Wish I knew then how many thousands of dollars it would take to get me where I am today. I might have instead taken up paper clip collecting, who knows?!?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    +1 to everything Whiteoak said.

The value of learning how to shoot first, and then deciding which gun is best second. A lot of money is wasted because the gun is blamed when the shooter is at fault.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Don't rush to buy "a gun", save up for "the gun".

Your first handgun doesn't have to be a custom build but it should be a decent quality firearm. The difference between junk and decent is small in dollars but large in benefit.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I don't know that I'd change a thing on this journey and learning curve I've been on. It's been fun as my skills/tastes matured to try new things. I'm pretty much where I want to be now, but do wish I'd stuck to my initial intent and gotten a revolver first, as over time, I sort of ended up coming full circle with my love for wheel guns.

Also on my short list when I got my first gun was a CZ P-01. It's not what I ended up getting at the time, but I did finally find one NIB a year or so later. It is currently the oldest gun in my smallish stash... it ended up being everything I thought it would be, and has never failed to make me smile when I get to shoot it.

One thing I wish I'd invested in sooner is the LaserLyte target system I got a few years ago. It was a huge help in me learning trigger control/sight alignment, marksmanship, and getting over my early "flinching" issues. It helped me develop good habits and muscle memory that translated into immediate success at the range. Now I mostly hit what I want, and don't waste ammo like I did when I was a new shooter.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Something different now, that I think is a BIG benefit, is the ability to rent firearms at different places. Over the years I bought several firearms that I did not like shooting as well as I thought when I handled it in the store. Back then you bought it and if you didn't like it, you traded it off at a big loss. With rentals, you can usually shoot something close and end up with what you want.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    My Python is beloved but the S&W 19 always fists me better and that makes up for a more difficult trigger on the Smith.

Well.....

Luckily I learned about grip angle before I purchased. I almost bought an xd9 based solely on how it felt in my hand. It was super comfortable and just felt right. I shot one that my buddy had and had to fight it to get it on paper. I then tried a Glock and the greater angle sat in my hand much better and it basically put itself on target for me. I then learned the grips were a lot different from each other and learned how to roughly check it be closing my eyes and bringing it up to level and opening my eyes to see how the sights line up.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Ammo availability for the gun you choose. Get yourself enough range rounds and carry rounds when buying the gun. It's awful to have a brand new gun and be unable to find ammo to go with it. I have twice found myself in that situation during an ammo shortage/panic.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The cost of the gun is only a small part of the overall costs. So, don't fret spending a bit to get something you really like and will actually carry.

Factor in the cost of belt, holster(s), spare mags, and lots and lots of ammo. Maybe even the costs of expected upgrades (night sights and the like). Then add in some training and the cost of range time. Remember, too, that ammo, training, and range time are recurring costs. It is easy to spend a few hundred bucks per year.

In the end, there isn't much overall cost difference between a $400 gun and a $1000 gun. Don't cheap out.

And, another thing I learned: It really isn't all that hard to conceal a full-size handgun. It is the grip, not the barrel. Don't think you need a pea-shooter.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wish that before I bought my first gun, I'd have defined my goals in doing so first. Are you planning to shoot a lot, or is this something to drop in a nightstand drawer and rarely, if ever, get shot? Ok, you are planning to shoot it, so is this a carry gun, home defense or is this a range only gun?

If I had thought about my goals more, I think I'd have saved a bunch of money. A ton actually.

Another thing I'd love to have not learned first hand was that it's cheaper to buy quality. Initially, I did not do too bad. I bought a Springfield full size 1911, MTAC kydex reinforced belt and MTAC IWB holster. All good stuff. Then, I found out that carrying a full size 1911 IWB was not always comfortable. So I bought a cheap nylon OWB holster. Then I tried a lighter gun and another cheap holster. And another. I bought a bunch of mediocre guns and crap holsters until I figured out how much happier I was if I bought quality in all cases.

Another thing I wish I learned is that the internet is full of bad advice. The worst advice tends to come from the most insistent sources. I wish I had realized that most internet commandos are more interested in stroking their own ego instead of providing any actual level of help. The fanboys have led a lot of people astray with their 'wisdom'.

The last thing for me is that I wish I understood that cost does not equate to quality all of the time. The idea that 'you get what you pay for' does not always hold true in handguns. For instance, if you are looking for a good carry gun, a $525 Glock will probably serve you a lot better than a $700 1911. But, if you are looking for a good 1911, a $1500 Dan Wesson or an $800 Springfield is probably a better buy than a $1200 Kimber. I wish I knew 1911s better before I bought and sold some of mine. I'd still have my Springfield and would probably have passed on the RIA and Kimbers. The thing is, you have to look for quality and not assume the higher the cost, the more quality it comes with.

One last example of cost not equating to quality is the Glock OEM plastic holster. Now, I'm a fan of Kramer OWB Scabbards in horsehide and have a bunch of them. But, on a whim, I bought a $10 Glock holster for my G30sf and you know what? That dang thing is every bit as comfortable as my Kramer holsters. It beats my Galco holsters by a mile at about 1/5th the cost. Sure, it's ugly, but nobody buys Glocks for the inherent beauty anyway.

It just goes to show that if you focus on quality and not cost, you'll be much happier in the long run. Quality some times costs money, but there is quality to be had on the cheap if you look hard enough.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I did a LOT of research before I bought my first back in the mid-80s. And yes, kiddies, that was back before the internet, when you actually had to read articles and talk to people. Way back then I went with Ruger P-series, partly because of fit, capacity, reliability, and cost. That has not changed, except that I can find pistols and accessories on the used/aftermarket way cheaper than new and many used. Where else can you get police turn-ins with Hogue grips and night sights in good shape (not that condition matters so much with these - they are practically immortal) for $180 including shipping and FFL? And $20 Mec-Gar mags? Wish I could still find reasonable PC9s to go with them, but prices have gone through the roof.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) How dumb it was to buy THAT particular gun at THAT particular (used) price at Gander Mountain.

B) Availability of holsters / magazines for the "FrankenCZ" that it was/is.

C) That anything in .40 S&W is generally stupid when you consider that 1) all handguns suck, and 2) with modern ammunition 9mm is fine and dandy

D) Exactly how important a bonafide gun belt is.

E) Exactly how important training is.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I wish that before I bought my first gun, I'd have defined my goals in doing so first.
    Completely agree with this. I bought my first handgun before I fully identified what I wanted it to do, and because of that I've spent more money than necessary to make it just adequate for my intended purpose. I've since bought two additional guns to fill other roles, but because of the money I have in the first I'm reluctant to discard it (even though it's not ideal).

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Just because it is a "Custom" doesn't necessarily mean it is worth to me what you have in it.

I way over spent on the first gun I purchased myself...bought it from a guy who built it custom...sold it to me for the price of parts. If only I knew then what I know now, I'd have a churchmouse special 1911 for the same price as my "OK" 1911...

Top Bottom