• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I purchased my first CZ a couple weeks ago, a CZ 75 BD Police model. After 2 range sessions and around 1,000 dry firings to smooth things up, I realized I needed to do something about the sights and the double action pull. Thus, I found Cajun Gun Works...Wow..I could spend a lot of money there. I bought their 3 spring kit to improve the double action pull, and while installing them, I found a problem with the firing pin retention pin! I had no idea that dry firing would cause this!
    IMG_20160501_111351_zpsjalt48rd.jpg

Researching the problem, I made another visit to CGW to get their tempered steel pin. I also found a simple and cheap solution...a small O-ring around the firing pin for dry firing. I'm back in action now, and loving this pistol!
    IMG_20160501_112335_zpsdiat6h4n.jpg
    IMG_20160415_190924_zpsnhs2knqe.jpg

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you decide to do the trigger spring too, get the slave pin from CGW while you are shopping. The decocker is a bit more difficult to modify than the standard CZ is when it comes to pulling the guts out of it. Oh, also you'll want the floating trigger pin too since sometimes the factory pin gets beat up during removal. Be careful with the CGW parts. They can be more addictive than crack to a CZ owner.

Congrats on the new CZ though. They can be a real dream to shoot.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    IIRC, the tips of stock CZ firing pins can be a bit brittle. OP, if you ordered the 3-spring kit from CGW, did that also come with their extended firing pin? With that, you should be able to dry fire to your heart's content without worrying about the little o-rings. Oh, and heed what Rusty said about the trigger return spring, I believe he's had to replace a couple of the factory return springs from dry fire practice.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OP, if you ordered the 3-spring kit from CGW, did that also come with their extended firing pin? Oh, and heed what Rusty said about the trigger return spring, I believe he's had to replace a couple of the factory return springs from dry fire practice.
    CGW says this spring kit was good to go with factory firing pin, so didn't replace it...yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the trigger return spring, guys! Looks like I'll be making another purchase from CGW! Wish I would have known that before my last purchase. Buying little springs knowing you'll be paying $7 shipping takes some planning...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    CGW says this spring kit was good to go with factory firing pin, so didn't replace it...yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the trigger return spring, guys! Looks like I'll be making another purchase from CGW! Wish I would have known that before my last purchase. Buying little springs knowing you'll be paying $7 shipping takes some planning...
    Nows the time to do a little more upgrading ;). How bout a short reset kit?

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I've had the exact same gun going on 3 years now. I heard about the firing pin/retainer pin problem and came up with my own solution. For dry firing, I just cut a foam earplug in half and drop it in between the hammer and firing pin. One drop of the hammer molds it in place and you're good to go. The CGW stuff interests me but honestly, the gun is so good now that I'd hate to mess it up. I did have to get some white paint to replace the front white dot though.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Factory trigger return spring just broke!:( Luckily, I had listened and ordered a new one (along with the trigger pin) from CGW, and they will arrive tomorrow. :yesway:
    :): Only a matter of time. ;)

The good thing, you'll notice quite a bit of change in trigger pull just by swapping in the CGW trigger spring. Much more gooder.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Are the failures of the small parts discussed in this topic common for CZs?
    I own a few CZs and have owned several more. I've never had any of the issues discussed in this thread. But, my guns don't remain in stock condition for very long. :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If they are stock and you spend a significant amount of time dry firing.

That's surprising to me, especially given the surging popularity of the brand. Given that I've not heard about it, I speculate that those who actually use them hard are amenable to fixing them with aftermarket parts and probably most don't use them or don't dry fire enough for it to be an issue.

I used to own a 1990s vintage CZ 75B. It was among the most reliable pistols I ever owned, but I couldn't reach the trigger or thumb safety properly, so I sold it. I would hesitate to buy another with this new information. You should be able to dry fire a modern centerfire pistol without adverse effects.

Top Bottom