• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I picked up a new 9mm shield this weekend. It is planned to be my EDC.

Everything seemed really tight on the gun. Slide was really stiff, It was difficult to field strip the first
    time to clean all the shipping oil out. Almost have to slap the clips in, but they do drop out clean.

I shot a couple dozen rounds this weekend and it did loosen up a bit. How many is considered needed for break-in to be complete.

I like the gun and hope to grow to love it. I like the trigger much better than my Taurus 709, I am already shooting much better groups than I did with the 709. I give that to the much better trigger.

I am having a hard time, lets say impossible time fully loading either of the clips that came with it?
    I loaded both with as many rounds as I could get in them, and let them set hoping to loosen the springs up
    a bit. Is this normal? Is there a better solution?

Last edited:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have had a 9mm Shield for several years and never had any of the issues you are experiencing. I have shot thousands of rounds through mine and never had a hiccup. My XD had issues similar to yours for several hundred rounds. I still leave one round out of the magazine.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I had a shield in .40 and my wife has one in 9 and both have similar issues. Both had to be pulled really hard to get it to go back far enough to get the slide to lock back. My full size m&p is a whole lot easier to lock back. I have never had any problems firing either gun and they did start to loosen up.

As far as loading the magazines I have never had any gun I can easily load every round into. That is why I got a mag loader. Also loading the mags and letting them sit won't do a whole lot of good. It would be better to keep loading and unloading so you actually move the springs.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Get an Uplula loader for the mags and shoot it a little more. It will improve to some extent and far as stiffness.

Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    OP, disassemble the mags to make sure there is only one follower in each. My roommate purchased a shield ftom a local GS new in the box and one of the mags had 2 followers in it... always check.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've put 1k or more rounds through my Shield in the last 2 years. While it has loosened up some, the slide is still very hard to get back enough to lock the slide. It's possible, but it's a lot more difficult than any other gun I own. I don't really mind, as I'm used to it, but the slide is very stiff. Thankfully after a few months, the takedown lever went from almost impossible to move, to just difficult. Now it's reasonably easy. I didn't have the same issues with loading the mags to capacity. It's more difficult to load the last round or two, but that's the same with most mags I use. After using them a while, they'll get easier to load to capacity.

I'm used to my Shield, but I will say the two best upgrades you can do to this gun is better sights and an Apex trigger. I have Trijicon HD's on my Shield and love them. My buddy had an Apex FSS trigger kit installed in his Shield and the difference is night and day. Very crisp break with a nice, short reset. Anyway, good choice, congratulations :)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Your Shield does not NEED any break-in.

As long as it functions 100% with a few hundred rounds of your favorite carry ammo - then call it good.

Yes, it's tightly sprung. If not, it'd beat itself to death in short order - as well as being quite uncomfortable to handle in the process.

Get a quality holster and a quality belt. And 2-3-4 more magazines that you'll use just for training. You'll get training, right?

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    OP, disassemble the mags to make sure there is only one follower in each. My roommate purchased a shield ftom a local GS new in the box and one of the mags had 2 followers in it... always check.

When I get a new gun I take it apart completely to clean it, this includes the magazines. I do it really because I enjoy it and I figure it can't hurt anything, only make it better. Now I guess I have another reason to do it to the magazines. I have never even heard of the extra follower happening. I guess it makes sense with all to the millions of magazines they slip up and add an extra from time to time.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I ordered a loader last night hope to see it by weeks end. I am able to operate the mag springs with a screw driver, so I don't think its an issue with parts or assembly, just stiff springs.

I had to use my multi-tool to get the take down lever to operate the first go around.
    But the last time just a little strong language worked...

It was a real bear to get the slide to unlock, but that's a little better after shooting it.

I don't have any of these issues with my S&W SD9, but I bought it second hand.
    The Taurus was "loose" to start with.

It's good to hear others have seen some of the same things.

My belt and holster don't appear to be part of the issue, but I'm glad it was brought up, tunnel vision can be
    a stumbling block when trouble shooting.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    I think the small size has something to do with the preserved stiffness.
    As others said, it should loosen up. I have lots of rounds through mine and I love it.

Top Bottom