• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Very very similar. PPS has a better trigger out of the box, Shield cleans up nice with work and is perfectly serviceable out of the box. I can't see any real significant advantage of one over the other.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well the title should say it all. I own a PPS and carry it every day and for some reason I feel the need to buy a shield. are they better?

No. Shield is a fine gun and one I frequently recommend. I settled on the PPS for my own use.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    G43, PPS, Shield, CW9, P9, LC9s, xds, etc..... Fondle/shoot as many as you can. Pick the one you like the most. They're all good.

Last edited:

Indy31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    My wife tried my daughters SIG P238 I didn't think she would like it. Not only did she LOVE it she shot extremely well you don't want her aiming at you. She had been using a revolver. OK now she has to train more but she wants to because she like the gun so much. So yes shoot them and only then can you make up our mind. OH I also had her try several .380's including my Glock 43 which I love, so she had plenty to choose from. We went from the range to the GS and traded in that revolver for the P238.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    The Walther PPS just feels more substantial. I no longer own mine, but really liked the thin width and position of the controls. Was pretty heavy for a composite pistol.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    My vote is for the PPS...I have owned both and like the feel of the PPS better and I shoot it better... The only thing I am not a fan of is the mag release but I think they changed that on the new ones.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Take a look at the XDS sub compact. I shot a PPS and it felt strange. I just changed over from a Shield to an XDS for my EDC.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I love threads like this because it shows how everyone has different tastes. I agree with those who say shoot the Shield and possibly other guns in that category, before you make up your mind. I love my Shield and I thought it was much better to shoot than a buddy's PPS I got to try, but you may think the opposite once you shoot one. A buddy of mine just had an Apex FSS kit installed in his Shield and it now has one of the best triggers I've ever had the pleasure to try. I know I'm saving up to do the same to mine now.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I love threads like this because it shows how everyone has different tastes. I agree with those who say shoot the Shield and possibly other guns in that category, before you make up your mind. I love my Shield and I thought it was much better to shoot than a buddy's PPS I got to try, but you may think the opposite once you shoot one. A buddy of mine just had an Apex FSS kit installed in his Shield and it now has one of the best triggers I've ever had the pleasure to try. I know I'm saving up to do the same to mine now.

Yeah but in this case the OP has and carries a PPS. He wants another gun. Question was is the Shield better? Answer is they are both single stack 9mm that work well. Personally they are my #1 and #2 choice in the current small 9mm offerings.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Here's a little food for thought;

Guns & Ammo's Single Stack 9mm Shootout (Updated) - Guns & Ammo

Its a pretty decent article, and not in the usual vein of "hey look at this new gun you should buy that is sold by the guys who just took out a full page add."

This is an updated version that I haven't read. I know in the original they really liked the PPS M1, except for the mag release. The PPS M2 negates that, of course. The G43 got high marks as well, but I know that isn't on the table. I can't remember what they said about the shield, but I'm sure it was positive.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah but in this case the OP has and carries a PPS. He wants another gun. Question was is the Shield better? Answer is they are both single stack 9mm that work well. Personally they are my #1 and #2 choice in the current small 9mm offerings.

Understood. My comment was due to the subjectivity of such a question. I like the Shield better, but the next person may not. Both are great guns though :)

Here's a little food for thought;

Guns & Ammo's Single Stack 9mm Shootout (Updated) - Guns & Ammo

Its a pretty decent article, and not in the usual vein of "hey look at this new gun you should buy that is sold by the guys who just took out a full page add."

This is an updated version that I haven't read. I know in the original they really liked the PPS M1, except for the mag release. The PPS M2 negates that, of course. The G43 got high marks as well, but I know that isn't on the table. I can't remember what they said about the shield, but I'm sure it was positive.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting!

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    If you look at the fit and finish and the precision of the machining, the PPS is super high quality.

Top Bottom