• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    So I am kinda confused, in Indiana it says I can get my concealed carry license at 18, and i plan to get it. But I thought you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. Right? So how does that work? If you get you concealed carry license does it make it so you can purchase one at 18?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, its a License To Carry a Handgun. (LTCH. The law is silent on HOW (open vs concealed) you carry in Indiana)

Second, though you cant purchase legally from a retail establishment, you may purchase in a private party sale, or it may be gifted to you by a relative.*

Finally, welcome to INGO.

*Edit to add: Dont be tempted to give that relative (or anyone else for that matter) the money to go buy one for you. That's a straw purchase and It's illegal.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Yes it is confusing and illogical. Welcome to the world of "common sense" gun laws You can thank the federal government for those particular restrictions.

You may also run into similar issues when buying ammo. For example, if you go to Walmart and buy a box of .22s, they will probably ask you if it is for a handgun or rifle. If it is for a handgun, it is illegal for them to sell it to you, but if it is for a rifle, than that is okay. :n00b:

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Hmmm okay. Sorry, I am from Illinois land of the worst gun laws so I am used to saying concealed carry as open carry is illegal in Illinois. Glad I am moving to Indiana lol.

So you are saying that I can legally own and carry a handgun as long I do it thru I private seller and not thru an ffl dealer? Is that right? Sorry for the questions, I just wanna make sure what the laws are so I don't do something illegal

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You have it exactly right. And don't worry about asking dumb questions. Much better to understand than to get in trouble because you didn't ask. We understand that gun laws can be difficult to understand and kinda screwy and don't want people getting in trouble.

As for the reason for the screwy setup, the federal government says that FFLs can't sell to under 21s, but Indiana law allows 18+ to own firearms, assuming you are a "proper person".

Please, please be sure to get firearms education along with the gun. Having a gun is one thing. Knowing how to shoot properly, when it is legal/proper to shoot and how to avoid being in a situation where you need to shoot at all are all very important.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Okay, that makes sense then though it is kinda odd.

I will def be looking at training for carrying a weapon. But I have been shooting and around weapons my whole life and I own three rifles so far. Not like I am a brand new shooter that wants to carry a gun

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I got my ltch when I was 19 and my mom gifted a handgun to me. I know the laws are screwy. Just wait till you start reading and trying to comprehend the nfa laws regarding suppressors and sbrs and how the atf classifies and then reclassifies stuff :soapbox: Anyways, welcome to ingo and dont be afraid to ask questions this place is a GREAT wealth of knowledge and entertainment :ingo:

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    My parents don't own guns. My grandpa is the one with all the guns and he is who taught me and got me into it all.

So when you say I can purchase one thru a private sale, that would mean if I like went on the classifieds here on this site and bought one from someone?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That is one option and I'd say a good one, though not one you qualify for yet. There are other web sites or you may have a family/friend/acquaintance that might be willing to sell.

Just FYI on buying/selling on INGO- FAQ: The 50 Post Rule

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My parents don't own guns. My grandpa is the one with all the guns and he is who taught me and got me into it all.

So when you say I can purchase one thru a private sale, that would mean if I like went on the classifieds here on this site and bought one from someone?

That is correct, as long as they will sell it to you. Some people may not be comfy with you as you are new, and especially under 21. But Im sure many will.

You just need to pay for site supporter status to get access to the classifieds, or reach 50 QUALITY posts. (that means no making a run for it by posting a bunch of worthless one liners really quickly). You are making a good solid push so far with good posts. Keep going and participating and you;ll be there in no time.

AFTER you establish residency and are issued your LTCH of course.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That is one option and I'd say a good one, though not one you qualify for yet. There are other web sites or you may have a family/friend/acquaintance that might be willing to sell.

Just FYI on buying/selling on INGO- FAQ: The 50 Post Rule

Just make sure they are also Indiana residents, or you follow the appropriate laws in your state for an in state transfer if that is legal. You cant sell handguns across state lines without a FFL getting involved, which of course kills the deal because of form 4473. Im not sure what the laws are over there, but after you move your Grandpa cant sell it to you here.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    True. If grandpa wants to sell/gift you a gun, then he'd have to do it before you move (following Illinois laws) or you'd have to wait until you are 21 to transfer cross-state via an FFL. Aren't gun laws fun??

Edit: Just think. Those laws are intended to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. If you were a criminal, you'd have just been able to contact a friend of a friend and just buy one by now.

Last edited:

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Okay,cool. I'm sure I will get to 50 posts by the time I move and get my carry license. new are still working on getting a house so I have time before we move.

So other then the classifieds on here, where is a good place to find guns for sale like that? I don't have any family there so that isn't an option at this point.
    The other problem I have been thinking about, I can't like go to a gun store and look
    At handgun models to see what I like or what will fit me well to carry so how do I that? It might be kinda hard to look on the classifieds if I don't know what gun I want.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Do you know what region of Indiana you'll be moving to?

There are various on-line sites for buying guns. All have their pluses and minuses. I'll give you my opinions for what that is worth:
    • hoosiertopics.com- Very wild west. People can get into flaming wars very easily. No policing to insure that items are misrepresented, you are ripped off or worse. Some people have good experiences there.
    • armslist.com- Cleaner and more reliable listings than HT. Some people do a good amount of business there. No personal experience.
    • Facebook- This is problematic. There were gun selling groups there, but Facebook has largely closed them down. Don't bother.
    • gunbroker.com- online auctions, like Ebay for gun stuff. Pretty much out for you because guns ship via FFL.
    • INGO- Many here would argue the best to deal with. Listings need to follow rules. Moderated. People gain iTrader reputation points (like Ebay reputation), so you can see if they've had problems in the past or are good to deal with. You can also examine their posting history to see if they are someone you'd like to deal with.
    None of these options are guaranteed to give you a good or bad experience. You need to do your own research to understand if you are getting a fair deal and examine the firearm to see if it is as represented. There are tricks/techniques on how to do this. Search existing threads or post questions when you are getting ready to buy.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ensure you get an Indiana Dl when you move here otherwise you could find yourself in a tricky situation.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    OK. That is north central IN. Not sure if you qualify, but you might want to poke your head in this thread and ask if New Carlisle is considered NW IN. There is an active subgroup that talks, meets & shoots in NWI. Failing that, I'd recommend just putting in a post saying you would like to meet some shooters from the New Carlisle/South Bend area. I know there are some online. Lawful gun owners are generally good people (unlike what the media portrays) and it wouldn't be that hard to get to shoot some guns and meet new friends at the same time.

Top Bottom