• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    [video=youtube;eCU8wY06V7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCU8wY06V7g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Product: M&P45 Shield?

So my initial thoughts: great they come out with safety and non-safety versions. (I'm still pissed I purchased the safety shield 9 before the non-safety was announced or released). The new grip texture looks good and functional, as do the front slide serrations.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Compared to the compact, (Shield vs Compact) 3.3" vs 4" barrel, same height, 6 oz lighter but the width is 0.99" vs 1.2" and one less round.

I have a 9mm Shield but would like to shoot this. I generally don't like narrow, small .45 autos, I hate the XDs in .45, but being a closet M&P fanboy, I will have to give it a try.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    No, small thin 9mm yes, tiny .40's and .45's no. At some point with the .45 ACP you get to the point of diminishing returns. How many jumped on the XDS .45 when it came out and then just as fast they showed up in the classifieds?

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm sure this isn't enjoyable to shoot, but I don't consider my shield 9 enjoyable to shoot either (compared to M&P compact or FS). I would not let my wife shoot this. I do want to try it myself before I would ever consider buying.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    All these slim 45's draw my attention, but none have brought anything exciting enough for me to ditch my Kahr CW45. The CW45 is shorter in height and length with a longer barrel and is lighter. I personally find the recoil very manageable as well, and see no reason to go with a slim 9mm other than the cost savings for ammo. I'm not bashing 9mm, because I know it's effective, I just like 45acp.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm sure this isn't enjoyable to shoot, but I don't consider my shield 9 enjoyable to shoot either (compared to M&P compact or FS). I would not let my wife shoot this. I do want to try it myself before I would ever consider buying.

Really? I think my shield feels like a full size gun under recoil. It's very manageable and I feel it's the softest shooting sub 9 I've ever shot. It wouldn't bother me to shoot it all day

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Felt the same way about my .40 shield. I thought recoil on that handgun was VERY manageable. Not harsh at all.

Really? I think my shield feels like a full size gun under recoil. It's very manageable and I feel it's the softest shooting sub 9 I've ever shot. It wouldn't bother me to shoot it all day

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville

"compared to my M&P compact or FS" I'll agree with your statement that its a soft shooting sub 9, but its no where close to comfortable for me to shoot compared to my FS M&P.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I hope S&W applies this new grip texture to the entire Shield line-up. Stippling your M&P can void the lifetime warranty per S&W, and the adhesive Talon rubber grips only lasted a few months before it peeled off on its own.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    With my full size M&P 45 it seems to me to be one of the softest shooting 45's I have used so I am hoping they were able to duplicate that with the 45 Shield.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm sure it is a solid gun and will sell well. I am just not a fan of short barreled .45 ballistics. Full-size .45 is just a different animal.

Tangent, but TNOutdoors9 has some short barrel 45 ballistic tests if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL47112947DB1DE491 . You'll have to sort through his playlist to find some.

Yes, I agree. Its well known that the ballistics will improve with longer barrel lengths.
    I'm sure the ballistics of a short barrel .45 ACP will outperform your Ruger LCP .380 in your profile picture. LOL

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I absolutely WILL be buying one of these. I've got the M&P full size as my "home office defense" gun and a cool weather carry M&P 45c. Love my Shield 9, but will switch to the .45 in a heartbeat. I guess it's "goodbye" to my Springfield XDs .45, which I only bought because there was no Shield in .45.

Thank you S&W!

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Love my Shield 9. Would like to try the new 45. Looks like somewhat aggressive recoil in the vid, but that could just be that particular shooter. Would still like to try it.

Curious what the MSRP is going to be.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I want this. I have been waiting forever for it. And I can handle the recoil of a small 45 easily. It's not that bad. Years of working with my hands gives me stronger than normal hands and arms. But the ergos are what I have been waiting for. The XDS just doesn't fit my hand and feel as comfortable as a shield.

Top Bottom