9mm AR pistol build (Suppressed SBR candidate)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    This will probably be long winded but I wanted to post about my 9mm AR pistol build (intent to SBR and suppress eventually)

I did months of research before finally pulling the trigger on the parts. Some were exactly what I wanted and some were second choices due to availability. In the end, all of the parts ended up coming out of Primary Arms and MAS Defense. I really like dealing with PA and even though a couple components weren’t my first picks, I still ended up with the parts I needed without getting crazy on spending, more than it already was anyway.

Lower- For multiple reasons, I wanted to go with a dedicated lower that took Glock magazines. The lowers that I looked at were the New Frontier Armory, the spartan lower through Joe Bob Outfitters (NFA lower I believe with different markings), Runner runner also had a 9mm lower that looked like it was NFA also. Others looked at were the CMMG, Palmetto state, Lone Wolf, and Quarter Circle 10. I ultimately went with the NFA through Primary Arms. It seems like good quality with nice features. Glock mags drop free, mag release and extractor were pre installed, they use set screw instead of roll pin for bolt catch and also have threaded set screw for rear takedown pin detent. I would have went with the CMMG or PSA but could find any in stock over the course of a couple weeks. Lone Wolf and Quarter Circle were out of the running due to price.

Upper- I would have liked to have gone with a dedicated upper with LRBHO but due to availability, cost, and finding a complete 9mm upper through MAS Defense I decided to go with the standard upper that came through MAS Defense. There are some companies that sell the LRBHO uppers, NFA and (I believe) CMMG are a couple. May end up with one down the road but the LRBHO wasn’t a necessity.

Bolt- Went with CMMG bolt because Primary Arms had it in stock and it was one on my list that I was ok with. (CMMG, NFA, JSE, PSA all had bolts with good reviews). CMMG also runs either glock or colt mags and doesn’t require modified hammer. Charging handle is strike industries.

Trigger/LPK- Ended up going with CMMG LPK and KNS anti rotate pins for now. I like the CMMG components and trigger. May end up throwing a single stage in it down the road.

Barrel/Upper- This is going to be a plinker within 100yds and I thought the complete uppers through MAS Defense were a good deal. I had read quite a few good reviews on them so I went that route. Upper was their forged upper, 7.5” chrome lined barrel, Yankee Hill 9.2” Todd Jarrett handguard, and flash can. I’m so far in pressed with the fit and finish of the upper. I like how the flash can is tucked into the handguard and the suppressor will eventually be partially under the handguard. Range report will follow when I get a chance.

Buffer/Buffer tube- Went with 7.4oz 4” extended 9mm buffer and carbine spring through MAS Defense. Didn’t do much looking around on this yet because I’ll need to see how it runs and adjust as necessary. For pistol tube I went with the Thordsen/Mission First Tactical enhanced pistol cheek rest kit. The brace isn’t comfortable for me nor is the blade and I wanted a cheek rest so this was the ticket. I will say that it’s very comfortable for a pistol build.

Optic- Went with PA micro dot. Have another one that I’ve been very happy with and it fit the bill for this build and budget.

That’s about it for now. Just got everything put together today and haven’t had a chance to get it out yet. Some pics below. Can update later with cost breakdown and any info I can provide anyone.

Last edited:

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Also, grip is BCM mod 3. I had to remove the front part of the grip that would fall above your index finger otherwise it wouldn't mount flush to the billet lower due to the trigger guard.

Also, after some handling today I may need to adjust the ejector to bolt clearance because the bolt is rubbing some. They discuss this and give directions on how to do so on their NFA website.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Looks really good. Good call on the CMMG bolt. I have read very good reviews on them. I am really tempted to start collecting parts to build one of those.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    Nice rig.

A 9mm SBR is on the short list. It maybe the calling of one of the INGO lowers that I have ordered.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nice. I have something similar. I went with the Joe Bob "Spartan" (NFA) Glock compatible lower and mated it with a PSA 7.5" upper with their .9mm Hybrid Bolt Carrier. I finished it off with a 9' GuntecUSA keymod rail with a KAK slimline flashcan. I also went with a Thordson/CAA cheek rest. I had thoughts on going sbr but so far I'm liking the way the Thordson feels so IDK if I'll still go through the sbr roundy-round at this point.

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Same here, I'm now more than satisfied with how the Thordsen feels. I'll more than likely be looking for a can first, before I go the sbr route.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I like your build, and your build list! I just picked up an New Frontier lower, Primary Arms had one that was a complete lower for 280ish (?) so I picked it up. My form 1 was sent off for an SBR with a 4.5" barrel, so that will be picked up at ADCO (Post stamp approval, with 1/2x28 threads -I hate 1/2x36.....). I picked up a YHM 4.2" FF Handguard to keep the whole package nice and short.
    My parts to buy yet include an NFA BCG (or CMMG- price dependent), and hopefully an NFA stripped upper.
    I was just glad to see my research led me to a similar build!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Nice build! I'm in the process of mine in .40 S&W. Spartan lower (NFA). Cmmg lpk, I'm getting my barrel, bolt and buffer from Macon Armory which is on order. I'm still waiting on the new frontier stripped upper to come back in stock. I don't want to spend the extra money on the side charger. I'm putting a vortex spitfireAR on top of it. I'm also going to try one of the SGM tactical 31 round mags for it. I figure for the price it's worth a shot. I'll probably do a thread when it's finished. Again love the build. Looks great.

Top Bottom