• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Title says most-new owner of my Father-in law's Security Six. It was his first duty weapon as a sheriff's deputy and thankfully he never parted ways with it til now(lucky me). Shoots like a dream, built like a tank, and puuuurty(no pics yet). I don't intend for it to be a safe queen and would like to find spare parts that I may need as time goes on-that's where any help from Ingo would be appreciated. Also, any sources for accessories and recommendations would be great. One specific question would be where if possible to find sights-specifically front blades. I have found big dots but would like to find a more traditional target blade or f.o. I plan to practice then humble myself with some IDPA action as I typically run Glocks...should be a true learning experience. Thanks in advance.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have owned a Ruger Police Service Six for 30 years and still carry it and use it during deer season for close in shots. It is the one gun I will never get rid of for any reason. It is sturdy, shoots great and is loaded with .357 Magnums. What's not to love about these great guns. I have no source for parts or front sights but I do recommend you get a quality leather holster and carry it often, it won't let you down.
    a032.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    K-frame holsters will usually fit, and speed loaders interchange.

There's not much in the way of sights out there for the Six series. The aftermarket has kind of ignored them, they don't have anywhere near the options of a S&W or of a GP100.

Springs are the only thing you're ever likely to wear out.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    K-frame holsters will usually fit, and speed loaders interchange.

Bill Ruger made sure of that.....He knew the market he was going after...An Officer (or a cowboy) may change a revolver (or a horse) but a good broken in duty belt and holster, like a good saddle to the cowboy, is not going to be let go of so easily...At least back in the day....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    FYI if it tanks Ruger will replace it with a GP100.
    Security Six is considered "obsolete".

Back in the 80's at Kieslers a Ruger rep was showing local LEO's the toughness of a Service Six......He threw it (unloaded) into the gravel and then nodded at the guy in the semi trailer rig.....The gentleman drove over the Ruger a couple of times after which the Rep dropped a speedloader full of magnums into it and fired them all into the target....

I can't imagine Ruger will have to make do on that GP100 deal very often.....

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Security-Sixes were/and are great guns. Built like tanks as has been said. The most significant deficiency in their design (if you can call it that), and what prompted the GP100, was that they were relatively expensive to produce. Cost of production was lowered with the GP100 design.

FWIW, David Tong reports on one of Chuck Hawks pages [1] that he, "once knew of an indoor range that had one as a rental gun and it digested, by their estimate, some 1,400,000 rounds with no parts breakages and minimal maintenance."

[1] - Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum Revolver

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    would like to find spare parts that I may need as time goes on-that's where any help from Ingo would be appreciated.

Spare parts? Ruger Service/Security Sixes have been in my family for over 30 years. Original everything.

If nothing is broken, why bother?

One specific question would be where if possible to find sights-specifically front blades.

The nail polish aisle at Wal-green's. I like a Provocative 725 (bright red) or like that glossy goldenrod color that the shoe models wear.

I bought my dad a DeSantis holster for one of his that he bought during the Ford Administration. I'll see if I can find it.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks for all the info...reaffirms my desire to not let this go outside the family. My brother shoots Smiths in Bianchi Cup and talks of replacing hands and gunsmiths working to keep them running-I don't expect that volume of shooting but feel pretty confident in its ability to keep up with what I throw at it. I really like that its almost as old as me and still spins like a top. Only problem I see is now I'm looking for siblings to keep it company.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Thanks for all the info...reaffirms my desire to not let this go outside the family. My brother shoots Smiths in Bianchi Cup and talks of replacing hands and gunsmiths working to keep them running-I don't expect that volume of shooting but feel pretty confident in its ability to keep up with what I throw at it. I really like that its almost as old as me and still spins like a top. Only problem I see is now I'm looking for siblings to keep it company.

Guns used in competition are shot extensively and can and will wear out and need redone but they last for more rounds than most shoot in a lifetime.
    Rugers are good guns but make no mistake they can and will need attention if shot a lot just like a S&W if used in competition.
    There is a reason that as far as revolvers used in competition go that 99.9% of them are S&W's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Two had barrel cracks. One had been shot ??? times, used for a few yrs.
    The other reportedly had one cylinder fired and then put away.
    Crack found when taken out of storage.
    Dunno if somebody snuck it out and shot it, or if crack happened right at the start.
    Either way, Ruger replaced them.
    IIRC both models were blued.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dunno if Ruger could have rebarreled them (extent of damage?).
    Proly no barrels in stock.
    Even if they had a few, proly easier/less hassle to just scrap it and give the owner a GP100.

Run it until there's a problem. Might not ever have one.

If something happens, fix or replace, keep shooting.

Wearing out a gun is not a sin.
    If you wear one out then you've poured more ammo/time into that than the gun probably cost.

Fun has a price. Pay the fee and go for more.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you really want to have all your spare parts covered, just buy a second one! They really are great guns, and while overshadowed by the S&W K-frame in the history books, I think the Ruger "six" series are better guns. Having owned both, I prefer my Service Six. It may just be my favorite handgun, even in this day of high-cap tactical semiautos.

Additionally, their value has gone up significantly in the last few years, and I expect it will continue to do so.

Top Bottom