• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I spent the day with my favorite caliber, God's caliber, the .45 ACP. Indoor range, 15 yards, 112 rounds fired in 30 minutes. Roughly 50%/50% P220 and P245.

24 to the body, 24 to the head. The first magazine to the body was spread a bit vertically, but I got it dialed in pretty quickly.

20160525_115516_zpssrfu5fwx.jpg

Next up, same with the P245. POA for the body was the top of the orange box. I got a little wild with the 3rd magazine to the head. The indoor range was pretty hot and sweat was stinging my eyes and I decided "Training opportunity!" and just went with it instead of stopping and clearing my eyes.

20160525_120938_zpsu5usfsbs.jpg

The shot down in the arm was from the guy on the lane next to me. He was shooting some sort of .38 at a target at roughly 3 yards and, well, here's his target roughly 2 boxes into it:

20160525_120509_zpsfsvffhvo.jpg

End of the session. One magazine into each target, so 8 rounds on the top from the P220 and 6 on the bottom from the P245. The P245 is a 6 o'clock hold and I did not adjust POA, so it was a bit high. The P220 has the Trijicon HD sights and I covered the black dot with the very top of the sight blade, not the orange dot. The 5th shot was a called flier and is the one that's low and right. The first shot was the one that's a bit high and right. The rest were in the dot.

20160525_122443_zpsh4ldl76y.jpg

The ammo fired today was mixed brass .45, Winchester LPP, Berry's Bullets 230 gr plated. The body shaped targets were over 4.7gr of Winchester Super Target. The bull's eye targets were over 4.5gr of CFE. I used WST until the ammo panic made it unavailable, but the CFE has turned out to be an excellent powder for .45 ACP.

I've gotten used to the rougher texture of the VZ grips on my P226 and now the P220 feels slick, especially once I started to get sweaty hands. I'll have to remedy that soon. The P220 remains my favorite magazine fed pistol.

Thanks to Indy Trading Post for the range time.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a 245 and a 220 about 15 years or so...I ALWAYS shot better with the 245....Always...I could never figure that out..

Oh and one more thing...The .45 ACP may very well be God's caliber...But His platform is most certainly the M1911...(Except on Sundays...He shoots an N frame Smith in .45 ACP on the most Holy of days...):)

That's for CM!!!!!!!:ingo:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am intrigued by the P245.... it answers all my questions. It's a sig, it's .45 and it's compact.

That, or the modern equivalent in the P220 Compact, are nice carry guns. Pretty flat, big enough to get a grip on but not much bigger, good sights, etc. It's my usual out-of-town vacation gun and my gym carry gun.

Mine does *not* like Hornady Critical Duty ammo, it patterns them instead of groups them for some reason. Every other ammo I've tried has been fine, HST bonded or PDX-1 being my preferred.

Oh, and with the 8 round extended magazine it has the same grip length as the P220 if you want a bigger grip for range sessions. I have 3 flush mount and 2 extended mags. All of today's shooting was with the flush 6 rounders.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks like a good time, have to wonder what the issue is with the 38, that's a pretty bad tumble for 3 yards.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My mistake. I thought at 3 yards he must be way undersized or have no rifeling at all.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Great shooting.

But quick question...why bust the chops of the guy next to you? Heaven forbid someone goes to the range and tries to better themselves, only to notice someone in the lane next to him making fun of him by taking pictures of his target. I remember the very first time I went shooting. It was pretty terrible. And if I would have known people were genuinely making fun of my because of my accuracy, I probably wouldn't be the enthusiast I am today. Thank goodness I surrounded myself with supportive, objective individuals who gave me regular sound advice and pointers.

Top Bottom