The rightful heir to the police duty .357 Mag revolver is...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    In my view, there's really only one gun that can lay claim:

The Sig P250 in .357 Sig.

It's like carrying a model 64 or 586/686 with with a speedloader or two already loaded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any other gun out there that is DAO and available in .357 Sig? That holds twice the ammo a wheelgun does?

Thoughts?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't know what to think about this. I was expecting a discussion on the rightful owner of the late Officer Grandpa's old revolver!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

It's like carrying a model 64 or 586/686 with with a speedloader or two already loaded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any other gun out there that is DAO and available in .357 Sig? That holds twice the ammo a wheelgun does?

Thoughts?

I believe Sig offers the P226 in DAO in .357 Sig.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Thoughts?

SIG 226, 229 DAO (not DAK) LOL.

To me there really isn't a comparison other than somewhat (somewhat) similar ballistics. Some autos have been made over the years with a similar trigger to a revolver but, A Revolver is in a class of its own. IMGO as someone that cut their teeth on and carried revolvers the first part of their career.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The hottest 357sig loads can equal an (old standard) 125 gr generic magnum load....
    you CANNOT shoot hot 158s or 180s in a 357sig, nor can you just pull the trigger to rotate to next cylinder if you get a malfunction -- although DAO gives you second strike capability.
    if I wanted that power in an Auto, I'd go with 10mm or the 9x25 , 460 Rowland also

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, realistically it was the Glock in .40 and 9mm. Characteristics aside, from the sheer number of police holsters they ride in I'd say they are the undisputed heir.

Nothing wrong with the .357 Sig, other than price.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The .357 magnum revolver is not dead....Why are we talking about an heir? Or to quote JC, "Why do you search for the living among the dead?"

Exactly this^^^. I carry a auto for my job because I am mandated. I carry a revolver off duty because I can. If people like autos because of the design that fine but more times than not they cite capacity ad a reason when in most shooting situations you won't get those 15, 17 or 19 rounds off. But is 15 rounds makes one feel better have at it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    The .357 magnum revolver is not dead....Why are we talking about an heir? Or to quote JC, "Why do you search for the living among the dead?"

Exactly this^^^. I carry a auto for my job because I am mandated. I carry a revolver off duty because I can. If people like autos because of the design that fine but more times than not they cite capacity ad a reason when in most shooting situations you won't get those 15, 17 or 19 rounds off. But is 15 rounds makes one feel better have at it.

Right on to both comments above. I have both semis and wheel guns, and very much appreciate both. But IMHO, I could own/shoot nothing but revolvers, and live a perfectly happy life. They are a standard that has stood the test of time, and you can pretty much get one in any shape and size to fit your needs. Not to mention, 357 is an incredibly versatile caliber, which can be loaded up or down depending on your use/needs.

All this after at one point in time swearing I'd never own a wheel gun, wasn't interested. Then I shot one. Within 2 - 3 cylinders out of a 66-5 police trade in, I knew I had to have one. Which led to another, and then another...

Last edited:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I enjoy the heck out of my 3" adj sight GP100, 2.25 SP101 and the old 4" model 28 S&W. From concealed carry, woods carry, range fun, I have always been a fan of .38/.357 revolvers.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Great topic. When growing up every cop had a .357 on his side. Seems like the glocks would be the true replacement but I like the thought of a sig .357 being the most similar replacement.
    Actually I wish s&w still made the big metal autos of the past. Had a 4506 that was a pretty great shooter.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    My experience with the duty weapon started at the academy with a revolver, and I still trust them with my life if need be. What I saw in my career was the Smith and Wesson 19 as the king of the hill. Then in the early 90's the S&W 5906 family and the Sig 226/220 and Beretta 92's were the most popular. By the 2000's the Gock 17 and 22 came to dominate and have not been touched yet. It's kind of rare to see something besides a Glock in police use.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    My experience with the duty weapon started at the academy with a revolver, and I still trust them with my life if need be. What I saw in my career was the Smith and Wesson 19 as the king of the hill. Then in the early 90's the S&W 5906 family and the Sig 226/220 and Beretta 92's were the most popular. By the 2000's the Gock 17 and 22 came to dominate and have not been touched yet. It's kind of rare to see something besides a Glock in police use.

This was my experience also; I started with a revolver then we transitioned to Berettas (a 92G, then a 96G in .40), then to a succession of Glocks. Right before my retirement in 2014 we moved to a Sig P227, which I carried for a grand total of two months.

All for fun, I just purchased a S&W Model 19, and I really, really enjoy shooting one consistently again.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    As the OP, I'll clarify my original intent. If a DAO .357 revolver was the pinnacle of duty readiness when everyone was carrying revolvers for duty weapons, then it seem to me that the logical analog in the Semi-auto is the P250. You get DAO reliability and safety. You get the ballistics of a .357mag (because cops generally didn't carry 158grs or 180grs in .357).

But you get it in a lighter package with a lighter (better?) trigger that holds nearly triple the number of rounds.

If *I* was king for a day and outfitting a department with politics and cost aside, I'd probably start with the P250 in .357.

Alas, politics and cost are real things. Sometimes more real than anything else.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury

Thoughts?

Well, there is a DAK version of just about every other Sig, then you have Glocks 357 models ... there were probably 357 M&Ps early on if I recall, and Beretta made D variants of the Cougar and Px4 in 357 as well...

Probably more I'm forgetting

Lots of them exist - most are either out of production due to poor sales, or dealers just don't stock them because they would just sit.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wasn't thinking of striker as DAO, but I can see how you get that. Hammer fired DAO in .357 Sig?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    As the OP, I'll clarify my original intent. If a DAO .357 revolver was the pinnacle of duty readiness when everyone was carrying revolvers for duty weapons, then it seem to me that the logical analog in the Semi-auto is the P250. You get DAO reliability and safety. You get the ballistics of a .357mag (because cops generally didn't carry 158grs or 180grs in .357).

But you get it in a lighter package with a lighter (better?) trigger that holds nearly triple the number of rounds.

If *I* was king for a day and outfitting a department with politics and cost aside, I'd probably start with the P250 in .357.

Alas, politics and cost are real things. Sometimes more real than anything else.

The Sig P250 was rejected as unreliable by more than 1 agency that tested it. If I was in charge of a department, and my lead firearms instructor chose the P250 for fellow officers going into the line of fire, I would make sure that he never set foot on the range as a decision maker again, for as long as he worked for the department.

U.S. GAO - B-402339.3, Sig Sauer, Inc., July 23, 2010

Reliability is the "realest" thing. The obvious heir to the .357 magnum revolver in police holsters is the Glock 22, as witnessed by reality.

Top Bottom