• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yankee1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    Eaton
    I recently purchased a G30 to EDC and I like the gun but have found it to be uncomfortable to carry it AIWB. It's fine when I'm standing upright/walking but when I start bending to lift something or pick something up or sitting in the seat of the truck I drive for work it gets pretty uncomfy in a hurry. I am very new to CC so I knew it would take some getting used to. I am carrying it in a Phlester skeleton all access kydex holster and in all honesty, I seem to prefer carrying it OWB even though that is not what th holster is designed for. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just keep trying different holsters (maybe a leather one) or just "suck it up, cupcake" and try to develop some calluses? I really don't want to/can't afford to keep throwing money at holsters all willy nilly, not to mention G30 holsters are ALOT less common than ones for the 9mm Glocks, so finding used ones has been difficult to say the least. I am now wondering if I should have gone with a single stack for my first carry gun. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I went through about 3 different holsters before I found one that fit me (Dale Fricke Archangel). When carrying aiwb, a half inch adjustment can make a big impact. Id also try to change the tension of your belt as you may be more comfortable if the gun moves with you a little. I'd definitely play with it some more before making a change, the benefits are there if you can find a comfortable setup. Also, suck it up buttercup :):

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I tried AIWB with my G26 and a few other guns. I just don't like it. I carry my G26 IWB at about 3:00-3:30 and am never uncomfortable. I am a mechanic by trade and bending and sitting and standing and rolling on the ground are daily maneuvers for me. AIWB was to restrictive to my range of motion. Also I'm sure a customers would have gotten really mad had the but of my gun scratched their bike.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, if there's a big difference between IWB and OWB, could be your pants are too tight. All mine are at least 1" larger than "normal" to facilitate carry.

If you're not married to AIWB, I'd suggest a Comp-Tac Infidel Max at 4 o'clock-ish with a good belt.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    What and where does it get uncomfortable. I carry AIWB at 12:30. Any further off center and the muzzle digs and the grip digs.

yankee1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    Eaton
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have simply moved to three o'clock which has pretty much solved the problems. I am also going to try and lose about 20lbs which should keep me from having to purchase new clothing and will probably make my doctor happy in the process. :D

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm not a fan of IWB carry (although I know a lot who are) and I prefer OWB with a shirt or jacket or vest over it.

Two of my favorite holsters are:

1) Bianchi's Model 7 Ranger 3-Slot holster...great holster...rides very comfortably...and has a snap top for a little bit of security (at least it won't fall out on it's own.) I have Bianchi's for several of my pistols...and revolvers too! Summer = 3:30 position and Winters = 10:30 position (cross-draw) as I prefer to wear a vest (just about everywhere in the winter) and I can leave the zipper 3/4 of the way down and still have great access to the pistol...and it's never 'trapped' under a coat held down securely by a seatbelt while in my vehicle.

Model 7 Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster - The Safariland Group

2) DeSantis makes some great stuff too...their's rides a teeny-bit differently, but still comfortable and worth their cost out hiking in the woods.

BELT HOLSTERS provided by DeSantis Holster

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I just picked up a G30 again and have been using a raven owb, supports the weight well and draws quick. After a week of carry, I have contemplated trading for a 30s. I never thought 3 ounces would make a difference, but the 19 feels like a feather if I switch at the end of the day.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Depends on your body type and your tolerance for discomfort.
    My uncle has appendix carried a G21 for 20+ years.
    He uses a Galco summer comfort leather holster. He's tried several, and that one works best for him.
    I can't do it, I tried, and ended up carrying IWB at 3'oclock.... G19

IMHO, kydex is not very comfortable for IWB.
    I've tried it and it's just not as comfy as leather for me.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    the Raven Phantom is surprisingly comfy with iwb soft loops for the G30, I think it is due to being spread out vs loops on top of pistol. I just gave it a try and fell in love not only with the comfort, but also the ease of removal and putting on. I have a Galco v hawk and the kydex is just as comfy with a much better draw than the v hawk

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    When I was trying to carry my G20, a low-profile OWB rig was what I ended up with. Raven Phantom OWB or Stealthgear USA. Others are out there, too-- but curve and cant are your friends.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Go hybrid IWB, between 4 o'clock and 5:30. Good holster like a Crossbreed Super Tuck or a Galco King Tuk. Get a good belt like a Daltech Force Biobelt.

I can't do the Appendix carry thing, but I carry IWB as stated above almost all the time, wearing everything from jeans to casual dress pants to cargo shorts. No issues whatsoever. I just drove to South Carolina with this rig, and have done similar trips to FL without any comfort issues.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really want to like IWB carry and have bought a couple of very good holsters for it, but I always end the day with a back ache. I'm down close to 30 lbs since the beginning of the year and might give it a try again. My main carry method is OWB in a scabbard holster done in horsehide. I seem to spend half of each summer in an untucked Hawaiian shirt (I know they are tacky, but so am I), so OWB works well for me no matter what I'm carrying.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I recently purchased a G30 to EDC and I like the gun but have found it to be uncomfortable to carry it AIWB. It's fine when I'm standing upright/walking but when I start bending to lift something or pick something up or sitting in the seat of the truck I drive for work it gets pretty uncomfy in a hurry. I am very new to CC so I knew it would take some getting used to. I am carrying it in a Phlester skeleton all access kydex holster and in all honesty, I seem to prefer carrying it OWB even though that is not what th holster is designed for. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just keep trying different holsters (maybe a leather one) or just "suck it up, cupcake" and try to develop some calluses? I really don't want to/can't afford to keep throwing money at holsters all willy nilly, not to mention G30 holsters are ALOT less common than ones for the 9mm Glocks, so finding used ones has been difficult to say the least. I am now wondering if I should have gone with a single stack for my first carry gun. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

The 9 rd mags with pearce (sp?) extensions are a lot more comfortable.

Top Bottom