Buy G19 MOS or have my G19 Gen 3 milled?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have decided I want a G19 with a red dot. Been looking at the G19 Gen 4 MOS. I like it, especially because I don't have a Gen 4 G19. However, knowing I am going to run an RMR on it, I am thinking I might get a better /tighter fit if I go the route of having the slide milled. Obviously, it will be cheaper to mill the slide I already have, but then I will still be wanting a G19 Gen 4.

Help me decide?

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Would it be cheaper to have yours milled? By the time you add it all up I really wonder.

I've been thinking about one of these for a while. Either. Glock or M&P. I currently have both with threaded barrels. I think that with the jump from a gen 3 Glock to a gen 4 and with the M&P new versions with better trigger It's a no brainier and good reason to get a new pistol.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Go buy a spare slide and have that milled if you want one; that way if you decide you don't like it, you can switch back. I'm betting a milled G19 would be tough to sell, if you ever decided to do so.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Thanks for the input. I never plan on selling my G19 Gen 3. It was my first handgun. And I do plan on carrying the G19 with RMR.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I bought a Glock 40 MOS slide for my Glock 20 (I like the 20 slide for woods carry, and the 40 for target shooting and eventually hunting), and would strongly recommend the MOS. If you mill your slide you'll only be set up for one or two brands of red dot sights. With the MOS, you get the plates and the options open up. What if you get the red dot you like and then discover you don't like it or try one on another guy's gun at the range and discover you like a different one better? With the MOS you could make the switch. With the milled slide, the only way you'll do it is if the other make of red dot fits the pattern you had milled.

The MOS system with the plates works VERY well and keeps options open. I'd recommend that. Plus, if you get just the MOS slide, you can go back and forth for two carry options, or just to jack around with the iron sights.

Here is my set up with both slides...

20160609_180028_zpsj9rpajgm.jpg

Last edited:

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I would assume that it would be easier to buy the MOS because you don't need to go to the shipping trouble. But on the other the aftermarket might have a better fit. I would probably go the MOS because it is factory and if you qualify for blue label I think it would be cheaper.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    If you decide to buy an MOS, make sure you put at least a 1000 rounds through it and check for ejection problems.

Mine ejects 5 and 6 oclock and in the 50 rounds I put through it with a fastfire 3 on it, it got banged up pretty hard.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    If you decide to buy an MOS, make sure you put at least a 1000 rounds through it and check for ejection problems.

Mine ejects 5 and 6 oclock and in the 50 rounds I put through it with a fastfire 3 on it, it got banged up pretty hard.

Possible to post a quick picture of the damage it did? I have been looking at 19 MOS and this is the first I have heard of the ejection issue.

Top Bottom