• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Different options for different people I guess. I don't know that the safeties on any of my 1911's can be called large, but they're a good size to be able to hit when you want to engage / disengage and also are a good size to ride my right thumb on when shooting. I think there would be a point where they would be too small for my purposes, but I haven't seen one that small yet.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I shot USPSA and instructed for years and I have never understood why so many guys prefer having their thumb UNDER the safety. (or the guys who insisted on crossing their thumbs when they grasp any handgun but at least that problem generally solves itself pretty quickly) "Hurts like hell don't it?"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I shot USPSA and instructed for years and I have never understood why so many guys prefer having their thumb UNDER the safety. (or the guys who insisted on crossing their thumbs when they grasp any handgun but at least that problem generally solves itself pretty quickly) "Hurts like hell don't it?"

My uncles taught me (at 12) to shoot on a 1911.
    I had to cross my thumbs to hang onto it and that habit stayed with me for a long time as they both did the same thing.
    Claimed it made it harder to get the gun away from you. I never questioned it. I shoot pretty well that way.
    Joining Ingo I was pushed by many to change it up and man it was a struggle to break up all that ingrained muscle memory.
    It is sinking in now. Finally getting it into memory.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Under the safety, no idea. Thumbs crossed is often a sign of a revolver shooter trying out the bottom feeder world. Note thumbs crossed isn't the best revolver grip either and is pretty dated, but like many dated techniques sticks around.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Joining Ingo I was pushed by many to change it up and man it was a struggle to break up all that ingrained muscle memory.
    It is sinking in now. Finally getting it into memory.

I had always shot revolvers D/A with my trigger finger hooked around the trigger and then would use the Smith and Wesson index to hesitate right at the end and adjust before I shot....About a year and a half ago BBI were talking about D/A revolver shooting and I finally began using the pad of my trigger finger, (it helped with Tyler T Grips) and doing a very fluid single stroke and kind of developed a cadence when I shoot...200-300 rounds of .22 every weekend at the shack with a K 22 Combat Masterpiece and it finally started to come together after about 2 months...It's now muscle memory...

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks...

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Thumb under the safety may cause an inadvertent engagement of the safety when it should be off. I use the high thumb type grip. I have a somewhat extended thumb safety on my full sized, a standard sized thumb safety on my Officer's Model ACP. No problems with either one.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I didnt even realize it was possible to have your thumbs under the safety.

As to the Wiley Clapp Cmnder I have one, and that safety design is a WWI thing. Personally I love it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Me too. I have WW1 thumb safeties on all my 1911s now. Everything you need - nothing that you don't. The only problem with a thumb high grip is that a lot of production 1911s have really horribly adjusted or "drop in" grip safeties and raising your hand on the frame means many of them will not disengage and allow the gun to fire. This is exactly why people started pinning them down years ago. Browning designed the grip safety for a low grip hold. A high grip really works better in practice.

Top Bottom