For the revolver shooters and lovers of the past.............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The wife and daughter are in Orlando this week...(I know...It was a tough call but tickets were purchased and they were meeting up with the in laws who were coming up from Argentina and will follow the girls "back home again in Indiana") so I have been spending some time on youtube boning up on Theist/I.D. Apologetics and guns....I came across this 1961 training video on double action shooting and found it kind of neat and informative...You can certainly see the influence of Rex Applegate and Bill Jordan..

I thought some of the revolver guys (and gals, sorry snap:)) on INGO would enjoy it so I am sharing...

[video=youtube;_BUOz6K8q_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BUOz6K8q_U[/video]

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Been trying to figure out proper grip for them there DA Smith's. So now maybe I can shoot my 38 special better :draw:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Some good 'ole practical knowledge...especially regarding ricochets running nearly perpendicular to the surface struck.

Knowing what can happen is sometimes 1/2 the battle...good to know!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Great video!! I really enjoyed it. Made me think of Bob Munden. I just saw a video yesterday, and knew that was who they were talking about before they showed him. I usually only spend about 10% of my time shooting from the hip. Pretty good at it. Just do it for fun and to show off a little. Think I might spend a little more time with it. Also going to Florida this fall, and was actually planning to take one of my little revolvers instead of my normal 9mm. Never flown with firearm, and need to check all the laws/rules before hand.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The past?

That's cutting edge information here at Stately Freeman Manor!

I read this book and I was shocked at how much information I was able glean...I can't remember who, but a current trainer was asked by a gun rag to list a few books that LEO's and Armed Citizens "must have" in their library and this one was listed number 1....I was curious as to how a book written in the early 20th century could help now and I was shocked at how what made sense then makes sense now......

The author spent years interviewing folks on both side of the law while they were still alive...It's an unflinching portrait of hard men in hard times and the methods they used to stay alive long enough to be interviewed.....

The West was kind of like Kentucky after the Civil War....No "murders" but quite a few "killings"......Talk about "stand your ground" laws LOL...If you wanted someone dead it was pretty easy to get away with and folks that were not "gunmen" by any means, sometimes had to come up with a way to save face and still win...He profiles a number of these tales....

One that impressed me was a tailor who had been a witness to a crime and testified...When the guy got out of jail he was waiting, well armed, for the tailor to come down to the saloon to have his lunch...The tailor knew the guy was going to kill him but he had to save face...He had a S&W New Safety Hammerless that he tied a string to the trigger guard and sewed up into the sleeve of his jacket....As he went to the saloon he had his right arm up by his ear as if he was scratching it...As he walked in to the saloon the outlaw went for his gun and said, "I got you now you SOB" and as he did the tailor dropped his arm from his ear and put 5 .38 S&W's in the outlaws chest before he ever cleared leather....

554.JPG

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I read this book and I was shocked at how much information I was able glean...I can't remember who, but a current trainer was asked by a gun rag to list a few books that LEO's and Armed Citizens "must have" in their library and this one was listed number 1....I was curious as to how a book written in the early 20th century could help now and I was shocked at how what made sense then makes sense now......

The author spent years interviewing folks on both side of the law while they were still alive...It's an unflinching portrait of hard men in hard times and the methods they used to stay alive long enough to be interviewed.....

The West was kind of like Kentucky after the Civil War....No "murders" but quite a few "killings"......Talk about "stand your ground" laws LOL...If you wanted someone dead it was pretty easy to get away with and folks that were not "gunmen" by any means, sometimes had to come up with a way to save face and still win...He profiles a number of these tales....

One that impressed me was a tailor who had been a witness to a crime and testified...When the guy got out of jail he was waiting, well armed, for the tailor to come down to the saloon to have his lunch...The tailor knew the guy was going to kill him but he had to save face...He had a S&W New Safety Hammerless that he tied a string to the trigger guard and sewed up into the sleeve of his jacket....As he went to the saloon he had his right arm up by his ear as if he was scratching it...As he walked in to the saloon the outlaw went for his gun and said, "I got you now you SOB" and as he did the tailor dropped his arm from his ear and put 5 .38 S&W's in the outlaws chest before he ever cleared leather....

554.JPG

Just ordered this, many thanks kimosabe!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wow, we've come a long long way...

Maybe, maybe not...Lead is still lead and 800 FPS with a big bullet will still put a man down...The average distance of a gunfight is still three feet and the average number of shots fired in a fight remains three....

I would say the marketing of new firearms has come a long way but the basics of a gunfight have not changed much since the advent of repeating firearms..

IMHO of course....

BBI has studied this WAY more than I and is someone I trust as both a friend and a student of the gun and the gunfight....We often have this conversation over a couple of frosty Dr. Peppers (in the bottle of course and with REAL sugar) as to how the basic tenets of a gunfight have not really changed that much in the last 100-150 years...

I am not talking about military combat and war.....But going to the quickie mart at 3 am for a gallon of milk or a pack of smokes...

We still live in the old west with all of it's worries, trials and tribulations...The difference is the "outlaws" now dress different, have fewer ethics and their mode of transport takes unleaded fuel instead of hay and oats...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom