1911 Wish List would this be a dumb idea?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok I have been wanting another 1911. Me I am an average shooter no operator or tactical skill set. I have been looking at Les Baers and Ed Browns and Dan Wessons and Springfield's. I am having hard time paying the big coin for something like those listed. The Springfield Range officer would be in my comfort zone budget.

So my wants are Xs Big Dot Sight's, Mag Well, and Arched MSH and a smaller thumb safety.

Would it be a dumb idea to go with a lower cost model and do the add ons I would like? I was thinking of getting a Range officer and adding the items I would like.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another "buy economy and upgrade". What you want is not inherent in the big dollar 1911s.

While they are really nice, I couldnt see buying one either. They just arent worth the money to me. Nothing against anyone who is willing to pay that premium, but I dont see an appreciable difference.

Just dont buy cheap. Ive seen too many "budget" 1911s that just dont function well.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    My advice as a former 1911 pistol builder is to buy whatever 1911 you like that fits your price range and then diligently apply yourself to understanding how it works and learning how to troubleshoot and maintain it so that you can keep it running 100%. It's not that hard to do and you will have a gun that fits you perfectly and you will enjoy for many years. The shop I worked in used mostly Springfield and Colt base guns which are still affordable and attainable.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Springfield is a lower price tag, but it is still a quality firearm to use as your base gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have used mainly Springfields as base starting points for the majority of my personal 1911's.

Find one that is fit up well. Frame to slide, fit/finish and go from there.
    The RO's are not as handsome as some but they are solid starting points. Good reliable and accurate right out of the box.
    The loaded models come with some nice pieces already in place.
    The TRP's I have and have had are excellent for modifying.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have used mainly Springfields as base starting points for the majority of my personal 1911's.

Find one that is fit up well. Frame to slide, fit/finish and go from there.
    The RO's are not as handsome as some but they are solid starting points. Good reliable and accurate right out of the box.
    The loaded models come with some nice pieces already in place.
    The TRP's I have and have had are excellent for modifying.

I am guessing the sights will be about $125.00 Mag well perhaps $75.00. So looks like a minimum of $200.00 I like the TRP which seems to be a good value but I really want a commander size.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am guessing the sights will be about $125.00 Mag well perhaps $75.00. So looks like a minimum of $200.00 I like the TRP which seems to be a good value but I really want a commander size.

Champion. Or a LW Champion.
    I have had 4 of these in the last year or so.
    I get one. Tune it up to my liking. Put some bling on it and as soon as I take it to a shoot someone has to have it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    bAcSTF3h.jpg

Dan Wesson, the best 1911 for the money hands down, They are better than Les Baer and STI IMHO. I do not care for Les Baer at all and personally feel that they are responsible for they whole "1911's need a break in period" crap. I have STI's, Wilsons, Dan Wessons, Colts, and a Springfield not a single one has needed a "break in period". Friend of mine bought one and wanted me to help him with it lout of the box the stupid thing would not run because they are too lazy to spend an extra hour hand fitting the gun so it runs smoothly out of the box.

Yes there are lots of people who really like Les Baers but myself personally I kinda hate them for whatever reason if you cannot tell. Also you will want to have a gun smith to fit the main spring housing and magwell so they look right if you do not the lines will not match up and it will look like crap. So add some more on the build cost. I had Ray Saltzman add a Ed Brown magwell to my Springfield Operator and the total cost for fitting and blending it plus the actual part itself was $150 or so.

Then you will want a trigger job done and then fitting the new safety you want as well the extras when added by a competing gunsmith could easily total $400-500 with the sights you want (Trijicon HD's or Dan Wesson Ledge sights are much better options). But if you start out with a Dan Wesson (Minimum $1500 generally) then add the mainspring, magwell, and safety you are looking at almost $2000.

If I were in your position just go with the one of the Colt Wiley Clapp models (lightweight if you plan on carrying it, or the stainless if it will be a range toy). It is especially nice since it already has the smallest thumb safety available.
    Wiley Clapp Pistols

Then add the Trijicon HD's
    Trijicon HD Night Sight Set 1911 Novak Cut Steel Matte 3-Dot Tritium

Smith and Alexander are the only people I know that make a arched mainspring housing with a magwell.
    Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

That is the best set up for what you want I can think of personally, just add in a trigger job because well everything short of a TRP 1911 wise needs one unfortunately.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    bAcSTF3h.jpg

Dan Wesson, the best 1911 for the money hands down, They are better than Les Baer and STI IMHO. I do not care for Les Baer at all and personally feel that they are responsible for they whole "1911's need a break in period" crap. I have STI's, Wilsons, Dan Wessons, Colts, and a Springfield not a single one has needed a "break in period". Friend of mine bought one and wanted me to help him with it lout of the box the stupid thing would not run because they are too lazy to spend an extra hour hand fitting the gun so it runs smoothly out of the box.

Yes there are lots of people who really like Les Baers but myself personally I kinda hate them for whatever reason if you cannot tell. Also you will want to have a gun smith to fit the main spring housing and magwell so they look right if you do not the lines will not match up and it will look like crap. So add some more on the build cost. I had Ray Saltzman add a Ed Brown magwell to my Springfield Operator and the total cost for fitting and blending it plus the actual part itself was $150 or so.

Then you will want a trigger job done and then fitting the new safety you want as well the extras when added by a competing gunsmith could easily total $400-500 with the sights you want (Trijicon HD's or Dan Wesson Ledge sights are much better options). But if you start out with a Dan Wesson (Minimum $1500 generally) then add the mainspring, magwell, and safety you are looking at almost $2000.

If I were in your position just go with the one of the Colt Wiley Clapp models (lightweight if you plan on carrying it, or the stainless if it will be a range toy). It is especially nice since it already has the smallest thumb safety available.
    Wiley Clapp Pistols

Smith and Alexander are the only people I know that make a arched mainspring housing with a magwell.

That is the best set up for what you want I can think of personally, just add in a trigger job because well everything short of a TRP 1911 wise needs one unfortunately.

I do the triggers on my TRP's but I am a trigger snob.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting, my Operator had a "test tube break" trigger so I left it alone as that is what I personally prefer. Now if it had more of a less defined "rolling" break I would have had it fixed.

Never had one that nice from the box.
    I have a Sheriffs edition TRP that had a fair trigger but it still had just a bit of creep. EGW ignition controls/polish and a Clark spring put it right.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    bAcSTF3h.jpg

Wiley Clapp Pistols

Ok, I think I want a Dan Wesson 1911 now....

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Actually the whole "needs breaking in" crap was started Kimber - not Baer. You can either fit a 1911 loosely or tightly and both can be very accurate and reliable. But the loose gun is only going to become looser. Baer fits theirs tightly so that they will maintain maximum accuracy longer over the service life of the gun. But I have never encountered a Baer that would not run 100% out of the box no matter how hard it was to break the barrel out of battery. I have encountered more than a few Kimbers that would not run out of the box and no amount of "breaking in" would fix them. Kimber started the "break in" nonsense simply because they put out so many guns that needed work and they couldn't possibly keep up with the work load. And people bought into it to the point that almost everybody now believes that a 1911 needs "breaking in" no matter who built it. Wilsons are fit pretty tightly as well but they still run out of the box. A new engine needs "breaking in" - a new 1911 does not - if it is built properly. If a new 1911 won't run it doesn't need "breaking in" - it needs to be repaired.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom