Smith & Wesson 38 Special revolver lookup?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Make and model might help .Some s/n are grouped 5-10 years
    Other option is to post on the smith & wesson forum .At the top of each section they have a thread on how to identify your gun
    the S/N are stamped on the butt of the guns,not always on the yoke

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    There's a book with S&W serial number/dates listed. Post the serial number with the last 2 or 3 digits replaced by X, and someone who owns the book, like me, might look it up for you.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    After embarrassing myself publicly by not being able to ID Walt's scarce short grip frame Chief's Special I would love the opportunity to redeem myself by telling you the age of your firearm...Blank out the last to numbers on the serial number and I will grab "the book"....:)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Give S&W a call they can tell you over the phone. I had a S&W from 1942 it took him a while to find it but was able to tell me the year.

Shots fired...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks to everyone who replied. The s/n is 5832xx. It's a 38 special. My great grandfather carried this when he worked at an Indiana prison many years ago. I'm just trying to find out more about it. It's the only revolver my dad has so I really wouldn't get the use out of the book. Thank you for any help you can provide Browndog2 and/or Indiucky!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Having 6 numbers -no letter and your grandfathers age probably a 38 special hand ejector
    1915-1942 as i said the books sometime dumps them in mass groups. Post on the SMITH & WESSON forum to get a better idea . They will want a picture or 2.You are not giving much help to identify it. Is the barrel stamped on the left or right side does it have a S&W address (how many lines)1or 3 does it have a S&W logo stamped on the L or R. side of thee frame.?

Shots fired...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'll have to get more info from dad. Thanks for the questions as I wouldn't know what else to look for. I'll be back again soon (day or two). Again, thanks! The semi-autos are easy cause they're in my safe!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Go to theSmith & Wesson forum and look at this thread

Page 1 of 911231151>Last »
    menu_open.gif
    Threads in Forum : S&W AntiquesForum Tools
    menu_open.gif
    Search this Forum
    menu_open.gif

Shots fired...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Walt, Here is what I've found out. The logo is on the left side of the frame. "Smith & Wesson" on the left side of the barrel. Address and patented Feb 8. of 08, Sept. 14 of 09, Dec. 20 14 on top of the barrel. 38 S&W special CTG on the right side of the barrel. Made in USA on right side of the frame. Serial number 583277 on the butt. I appreciate your help or at least any help you can provide. Have a good 4th of July weekend. Hopefully our country can have 240 more. Tracy

Top Bottom