• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A sickly Big Green runs the same play off tackle left until they get it right.

Remington reintroduces the R51, 2d model (or whatever).

BREAKING: Remington Reintroduces the R51 Pistol - The Firearm Blog

His name was John Pederson, the man John Moses Browning called the greatest gun designer of all time.

Stick to what was done right the first time and stop caving to the plastic fantastic crap.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Wow, how'd I miss this one?? Hadn't heard of it before. Now that I've seen it, I'm sure it's been hiding on Star Trek. What was the original problem they had?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wow, how'd I miss this one?? Hadn't heard of it before. Now that I've seen it, I'm sure it's been hiding on Star Trek. What was the original problem they had?

They were so unreliable you could rely on them to fail.

Edit: and apparently out of battery firings, didn't remember that part.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I liked the looks of the R51 and thought it would make a nice carry piece. Hopefully, they got the bugs worked out.

remington_r51_10.jpg

Reminds me of the Vektor CP1

1759d2d87006d5a36ef4a1199781dd23.jpg

Last edited:

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I had high hopes for it when they first announced it a few years back. Looks slick, the early reviews were solid, nice size, and single stack. Then the real reviews popped up and shattered the dream! :D I really hope they've worked the bugs out.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I hadn't heard of the R51 fiasco, so when I read the thread title I thought they were making a straight remake of the Model 51 and got excited.

I don't care for the looks of the R51 at all.

The only industry that tolerates quality control as low as the firearms industry is the auto industry.

At least Remington is trying to make it right.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The only good thing to ever come of the R51 is it confirmed in my eyes the several "Firearms Magazines" that had been bought and paid for. Much like Guns & Ammo's relationship with Kimber......

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I really hope they have worked the kinks out, simply because I love to see new (okay maybe not new but at least different) firearms designs succeed. For so long we have simply copied the work of others, with minor tweaks. How many companies have a Glock-imitator on the market? Same design, same mechanics, just tiny differences primarily relegated to esthetics. I'm not saying the old designs are bad, I'm just excited for the possibility of something DIFFERENT.

And yes, I'm aware that the new R51 is technically an old idea redone. But at least it's not the same old idea!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I owned one of the first R51s in Indiana, and I can tell you that anything that could go wrong with it, did go wrong with it. It was truly a nightmare of a pistol. Having said that, I would buy one again if the problems were all corrected. I did love the accuracy and ergos of the pistol.

I do not get one of the free replacement pistols, since Remington refunded me my entire purchase price when I asked.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife's ex step dad (long story!) bought one from his local Rural King when they went on sale. This was AFTER the problems began surfacing. I kind of chided him about it...

His, while he had it, didn't have any issues other than a horrible gritty trigger. It fed, fired, and extracted as it should. BUT - he didn't shoot it very much at all.

He ended up sending his back in and got one of their 1911 offerings in return.

Top Bottom