single-stack 9mm for small-handed shooter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So I'm a small handed shooter. I been carrying concealed for over 20 years and most of that time I ran with a J-frame with open back-strap grips. About 5 years ago I thought I finally found a suitable semi-auto when I got into the 3.8 XDms. I have two of these and with the smallest back-strap it works "OK". When I pick up my XDm (in the "cocked/charged state") my grip pretty much matches the third hand in the drawing here:

Like a Glove: Picking a Handgun to Fit Your Grip - Handguns

And sure enough when I shoot my XDm the first 8-9 rounds of the first mag certainly do go left of target....then after I start correcting things settle down and get a lot more centered. I figured until the industry (I'm looking at you GLOCK) really got serious with the back-strap situation and offered 4-5 sizes instead of 2 or 3 this was probably as good as it would get for me. But now that the single-stack 9mms by Glock and SA have been out for a while (and hopefully are done with recall corrections!) maybe I can do better? Maybe it's time for me to sell my XDms and buy a G43 or XDs. On paper the XDs 4 inch looks like it was MADE to be my carry gun! It addresses all the grievances I have with my 3.8:

1) 4 inch barrel (I carry OWB with FBI cant and I have always hated that the barrel was so short!)

2) High visibility front site (stock)

3) single-stack (should have closer trigger reach)

4) Lighter weight (XDm wants to drag my pants down sometimes even with my fantastic Wilderness Instructor belt)

So I checked out an XDs at a local Gander Mt. - to my horror and astonishment the trigger fell EXACTLY IN THE SAME PLACE near the tip of my trigger finger! Sooooooooooo SA made the trigger reach match the existing XDMs. Now my XDM wears the small strap and I understand the XDS ships with the large installed and a small in the case. Is this correct? Can someone who owns one of these give me some insight as to how much (if any) the small back-strap improves the trigger reach? My buddy says to keep visiting gun-shops until one agrees to install the small strap for me to try it out. I can't imagine too many places busting out a punch and hammer for this bearded hobbit! I have been all over SA's website and measurements for this just aint there. I been searching all over countless boards for this info as well and no one seems to have it. I guess adult male shooters with very short fingers are an extreme minority? Hmmmm...perhaps I should start a club? :)

While I was at a local (Evansville) Academy Sports I was able to try my hand on a G43....it felt GREAT! My trigger finger reached the middle of the pad! This is about as close to perfection as I have felt since I carried a J-Frame with boot grips! So I am considering drinking that kool-aid and going Glock. But it will cost me more as I will have to replace those AWFUL plastic sites with that terrible U thing on the rear - YUCK. Below are some quick pics of my hobbit-hand for reference.

View attachment 48457 View attachment 48458

Opinions? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Your hands are close to the size of mine. In all reality you could train yourself to shoot most any handgun, but some you will find are way more comfortable. Outside of J frames, which are awesome for carry BTW, I find 1911s, Sig P6/P225s, some Walthers and CZ 9mm offerings to be comfortable.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I have shot a LOT of guns....1911s are very comfortable (and easy shooters) but I aint too crazy about carrying cocked and locked (and I certainly wont carry a gun chamber empty). I carried an SP101 .357 for a while and I could shoot it OK. But once I switched to 9mm semi-auto I found out just how easy shooting a 9mm was I am 9mm for life. IMHO it is the BEST caliber when you factor low to no recoil with effectiveness/velocity. I don't mind recoil though I have had a lot of fun shooting Blackhawks in .44 Magnum for example.

All the Sigs I have held felt kind of brickish to me (like most Glocks). I have heard good things about the CZs...I just don't care for the looks of them I know that shouldn't matter but for me it does! This much money and I have to like the looks as well as the function!

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I too am cursed with snausage fingers, and carried or shot 1911's most my life due to the thin grips of them.

Eventually I learned to shoot "fat" grip guns, and can do so consistently, but I carry a shield 9mm for SD. It is by far the most comfortable gun I've ever held or shot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For a small 9mm pistol, I am fond of the Sig P938. It's small enought to pocket carry, yet is still a sweet shooting gun that can be a lot of fun on a range trip. They are good looking pistols too. Which CZ is it that puts you off on looks? The P07 and Rami look completely different than other CZs and are both great shooters.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    A Springfield EMP is ideal for those with tiny hands and/or short fingers.

Came to this thread to suggest this gun too, Springfield did a great job with this pistol and the grip circumference is even shorter than a standard 1911due to it being built from the ground up to be in 9mn. You just have to get over the "Cocked and Locked" phobia which anyone used to Striker fired pistols should have no issues with imho.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've got small hands as well, not as bad as this guy though.

iu

I can grip the Glock 43 with only slight overhang of the pinkie. I can get a full grip with no overhang anywhere on a Kahr P9.

A few years ago I owned 3 XDs pistols. 2 of them were 3.3", a 45 & a 9mm. The other was a 4" 45. I changed all 3 to the small backstrap. There was a little difference between the large vs. small but not much. The smaller one didn't really make the grip feel 'smaller', just more streamlined.

I ended up getting rid of all 3 of the XDs pistols. One went to a friend that shot it well and wanted it pretty badly, the others got traded because of the recall debacle, the lies and my complete lack of faith in Springfield for the way things were handled.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Interesting. I am leaning to the G43 at this point. I will add a Pearce Grip extension for my pinkie (no additional round though as I understand the jury is still out on reliability of G43s beyond 6 round mags).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My hands are kind similar to yours and I really like my Shield. It has TFO sights and a pinky extension on the 7 round mag. It is very comfortable but I also like the M&P9c with the small backstrap installed. The 9c also has talon grips.

If you want to try either or both of those, I would be glad to meet up at Red Brush and let you choot em

Top Bottom