• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Revolver or Semi-Auto? There have been some of the semi-auto models subject to recall. Taurus doesn't call it a recall, but they will fix them or replace them if you send it in and it can't be fixed. Several models are included.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have 2 Taurus handguns and they work fine. I wouldn't put them in the same class as my SIG or HK USP but they are much more affordable. There are some who have had bad experiences with Taurus.

What model are you looking at?

gtl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was looking to buy a Taurus hand gun I was wondering if anyone has anything negitave to say about them

I bought a Millennium G2 a little after they first came out. I probably overpaid ($289 plus ffl) seeing as how you can get the for $209 nowadays, but I do have the two tone version.

When I got it, there was something wrong with the feed ramp and I couldn't chamber a round. Sent to Taurus (their cost), waited 4 weeks, got it back repaired and with 2 new magazines. I still had my Sig p250, so I didn't mind waiting too bad. Haven't had a single issue with it since. I've probably put 1000 rounds into it.

It's a decent gun.. a cheap gun. But I don't think I have much else bad to say about it other than that.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Do you guys suggest it being a good beginning gun because I just recently turned 18 and recently got my permit

I can't or won't speak for anyone else .....

I think they are ok, for a first gun .....

I have a Model 85, 3" bbl., that I bought in 1988 .....

I use it as a b/u gun ..... I don't shoot it a lot .....

Maybe 1000 rounds, total .....

You know, that you will have to make a "private" sale .....

LGS, FFL, you must be 21, LTCH, or NOT .....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a PT145/Millenium. I like shooting it, but I have had some fail to feed issues with it. I need to clean it good and see if that solves the problem. If not, I may send it in to see if Taurus can fix it. For the money I paid for it, it is a fun gun to shoot. However, I do not carry it as I don't have confidence it will shoot reliably at this point.

We had another Taurus also in .45 caliber that we traded for a different gun at a show because it had some issues as well.

I'm not sure I would recommend a Taurus in semi-auto based on our experience. I will say that both of these were purchased used with an unknown round count, but they appeared to be in good condition.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I have the same gun you're looking at, and have had zero problems with it. Only a few hundred rounds through it, but am happy with its performance so far.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a PT145/Millenium. I like shooting it, but I have had some fail to feed issues with it. I need to clean it good and see if that solves the problem. If not, I may send it in to see if Taurus can fix it. For the money I paid for it, it is a fun gun to shoot. However, I do not carry it as I don't have confidence it will shoot reliably at this point.

We had another Taurus also in .45 caliber that we traded for a different gun at a show because it had some issues as well.

I'm not sure I would recommend a Taurus in semi-auto based on our experience. I will say that both of these were purchased used with an unknown round count, but they appeared to be in good condition.

Mom, it sounds like you need to join me, over here in S&W camp .....:laugh: .....

RapidRounds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Sellersburg
    Semi-auto I was looking at a taurhs pt111 G2

These were on sale at River City Firearms in Louisville just last week for $209.99. I thought that was an amazing deal for a 9mm from Taurus. Now honestly I'm not the biggest fan of there semi autos but the pt111 is definitely worth 200 bucks. My friend went back this week and they are already back to 259.99.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I have owned 2...a sweet shooting PT 945 single stack .45 and a PT 145 Millennium .45. Both had major failures that rendered them paperweights. I would own another, but would be extremely hard pressed to, simply from my own experience, rely on a Taurus for a self defense pistol. For their part, they repaired both guns no questions. When I got the second one back from repair, I sold them both...no regrets.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My friend's brother ordered one at Gallery of Guns a while back and they finally went to Point Blank in Carmel to shoot it but it wouldn't fire. It turned out that the Taurus was locked and you needed the Taurus key to unlock it. They tried to get someone in PB to assist but they couldn't (he didn't bring the key with him). They're going to try again on another weekend. I guess they ship them locked. A few months ago, I think kygunco.com had them for $199.99 via an email they sent me.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I have a PT-111 G2 like you are looking at and have had no problems whatsoever with it. It eats everything I have fed it, it had an unknown round count when I bought it ( bought it used), and since I can't my 1911 at work, the PT-111 is my car gun. There have been a few have problems with the trigger safety blade breaking but over all they good guns for the price. Two friends of mine have bought one on my recommendation and really like theirs as well. If you watch, you can still find them on special for around $200, otherwise they usually run around $250.
    They are a decent enough gun and enough have been sold that one of the members over at Taurusarmed.net has started making accessories for them. Right now he offers a steel guide rod ( I bought a stainless verion) and just came out with night sights he designed with Tritium vials. If you do get a PT-111 G2, head over to Taurus Gun Forum - TaurusArmed.net / Taurus Firearms , there is a nice little community of owners there. I have sent a fellow Hoosier from there over here as well.

I don't know if you know it Mom but your PT145 is one of the recall guns. Chances are if you send it in soon, you will not get it back but be given a choice of a different replacement gun. That has been what has happened when some of the people over at TaurusArmed sent their recall guns in.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Friend of mine has a TCP, I think (the itty bitty one). Neither he nor I can get through a full mag without some sort of malfunction.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a PT-111 G2 like you are looking at and have had no problems whatsoever with it. It eats everything I have fed it, it had an unknown round count when I bought it ( bought it used), and since I can't my 1911 at work, the PT-111 is my car gun. There have been a few have problems with the trigger safety blade breaking but over all they good guns for the price. Two friends of mine have bought one on my recommendation and really like theirs as well. If you watch, you can still find them on special for around $200, otherwise they usually run around $250.
    They are a decent enough gun and enough have been sold that one of the members over at Taurusarmed.net has started making accessories for them. Right now he offers a steel guide rod ( I bought a stainless verion) and just came out with night sights he designed with Tritium vials. If you do get a PT-111 G2, head over to Taurus Gun Forum - TaurusArmed.net / Taurus Firearms , there is a nice little community of owners there. I have sent a fellow Hoosier from there over here as well.

I don't know if you know it Mom but your PT145 is one of the recall guns. Chances are if you send it in soon, you will not get it back but be given a choice of a different replacement gun. That has been what has happened when some of the people over at TaurusArmed sent their recall guns in.

I did contact them earlier but they wouldn't verify that it was covered by the "recall" and told me that it was not actually a recall but that they would allow me to send it in. My husband thought we would clean it first and see if that solved the problem, but I am thinking sending it back may be my best option.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The worst firearm I've owned in my lifetime was a taurus PT24/7 in 45acp.

It wouldn't feed anything properly. The jennings 22lr junker I keep around functions better than it did.

Top Bottom