• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have consolidated non-rimfire rifles to those I can reload for, and during some trading picked up a new Sig. The Sig P227 Carry SAS, which is a few firsts for me. It's my first "E2" Sig, it's my first "Carry" sig, and it's my first double stack .45 ever. I don't fully understand Sig's idea with the "carry" length. A slightly shorter slide but a full sized grip seems backward to me, with a full sized slide and shorter grip being easier to conceal...but ok. Let's give it a try.

P227 SAS Gen 2

So, here's mine:

20160719_203206_zpsy5bzdahx.jpg

The E2 has a one piece grip, which is not the traditional Sig way of doing things. I generally fear new things, but was reassured because it's apparently easy to swap on the old style two piece grips so if I didn't like them I could change them easily. Verdict: I liked them. They give a good amount of grip without feeling uncomfortable. I've not put it on a timer yet, but on the indoor range at a steady cadence it worked fine.

The sights are standard Siglite night sights, white dots with tritium inserts. They are apparently set up for a 6 o'clock hold with the bullet impacting just above the top edge of the front sight. I'll probably try the sharpie on the rear dots to make the front easier to acquire, but they are perfectly serviceable.

The first thing I did as a getting-to-know-you exercise was some vertical transitions. One body, one head, one body, one head, decock and repeat. I threw a few as I sped up but overall was happy with the results and the pace:

7 yards:

20160720_155544_zpsp10ldm50.jpg

Then, also at 7 yards, I did some accuracy work. The bottom target was first, with a point of aim at the 1" square. 11 rounds clustered nicely just above the POA. I then shot the top dots horizontally with the first circle DA, then the next two SA. I shoved the gun with a few called fliers on #2 and #3 circles. The low/left on #4 was uncalled, but was certainly user error and not the gun.

20160720_160817_zps5pufxevd.jpg

What I found interesting is it fits in my P245 holsters. This gives me a "midsize" option between the P245 and the P220...and with greater capacity than either single stack. I'm going to break out the calipers and see how much thickness difference in the grip there actually is.

The long taper on the magazines looks like it'll be ideal for reloads as well, especially with the bit of mag funnel the E2 grips provide.

The trigger is what I consider classic Sig. It's predictable and smooth. I was a bit concerned prior to feeling it in person, because my only other SAS (A P229) had the grittiest trigger I've ever felt in a Sig when I first got it. Not this one, no grit at all.

So, all in all, this is unlikely to become my daily carry gun (sticking with the full sized P226 for that), it's a perfectly serviceable option and may become my "out of town" carry gun when magazine size restrictions could be an issue. I'm going to experiment a bit with it and the Milt Sparks Executive Companion holster to see how well it conceals vs the P245 and P220.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very nice review BBI! I've recently caught the Sig-ness and this was valuable information. I might have to look into one of these at some point... :yesway:

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    (purple)Neg rep coming your way. They clearly marked in red where to aim, yet you took it upon yourself to give head shots. I don't like it. I'm offended. And I will be heard.(purple)

Congrats on the Sig. Excellent choice.
    If the "carry" configuration confuses you, play around with the p320 frames for a few minutes... Nearly gave me a meltdown.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Another awesome post from BBI. Thanks, man. One will learn a LOT by taking in your posts here. At least I have.

E2 rubs my office hands a little weirdly-- I had a raw spot inside my thumb. (imagine decocking a couple dozen times and where the thumb hits that higher spot on the grip). For a range gun, I'd prefer a slightly different grip texture or configuration. But for a defensive gun, I think I'd like it a lot. Granted, this is based on shooting a 229, so not sure how the 227 would feel different in E2 coverage/contact.

I can see how the melt treatment of the SAS would definitely be nicer for carry, though.

And yes, Sig's concept of "carry" is entirely backwards. Give me a long slide COMPACT please, Sig-- not a short slide Full. SMH.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    One pistol I truly ever regret getting rid of was a Sig 220 SAS with a German frame. I traded it towards a Polytech Spiker but wish I still had it. Good review.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice gun BBI. I've been intrigued by the 227 ever since the retired cop on the corner of my street showed me the one he got just before retiring. It looks like a solid carry choice.

BTW, you Sig guys are messing with my nice clean perspective on what I want to have in my carry rotation. Between WTBurnette letting me shoot his Legion and now you posting this, it's making me think that my 1911/CZ/Glock world needs work.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nice gun BBI. I've been intrigued by the 227 ever since the retired cop on the corner of my street showed me the one he got just before retiring. It looks like a solid carry choice.

BTW, you Sig guys are messing with my nice clean perspective on what I want to have in my carry rotation. Between WTBurnette letting me shoot his Legion and now you posting this, it's making me think that my 1911/CZ/Glock world needs work.

If you want one for fun, go for it. I would recommend against a "carry rotation" of different platforms, though, particularly one including both Sig DA/SA and a 1911.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you want one for fun, go for it. I would recommend against a "carry rotation" of different platforms, though, particularly one including both Sig DA/SA and a 1911.

Sadly, the 1911s don't get carried any more. Love the things, but I've been carrying either the CZ platform or Glocks. When carrying the CZ, I carry at the half cock notch which gives a similar pull length as I get on the Glocks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The 227 is real nice, I preferred it over the 220 after owning both and testing them. Pretty sure the 227 fits in most 226 holsters also. Win

The P220/P226/P227 all fit the same holsters. The "Carry" length slides will also interchange with the P220 compact/P245 holsters.

Top Bottom