• ...and so much more!
  • redneckninja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Any opinions on the Taurus 24/7 G2?
    I'm considering buying one in 9mm with the 3.5" barrel. I understand it's not a high end pistol, but I'm wondering about it's quality and dependability. I've read a positive review that Trevlan posted from 2011, and wanted to see if anyone else has something to say.

Thanks!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:, Redneck! Good folks here, and it's a great place to learn.

I purchased a 24/7 DS Pro from a fellow :ingo:er 3-4 years back. It was a great pistol. Accurate, comfortable to fire. It ate every kind of ammo I fed it, though it did have trouble with the hand-loaded stuff the seller gave me as a bonus with the purchase—but that was due to a sticky substance on the cartridges, no to problems with the pistol. All the factory ammo ran smoothly through it. I really enjoyed that pistol.

It began having trigger troubles about 18-24 months ago. The trigger would fail to reset periodically—without rhyme or reason. I tried different brands of ammo, cleaned it thoroughly a couple times, re-tested it after each cleaning; just could not get the trigger to work every time. So I finally sent it back to Taurus under the warranty. They paid for the shipping.

I waited two months before I checked the online status update, and checked it regularly thereafter; but it always said that it was being repaired or in process—whatever the term was to say they were working on it. Finally, one evening I got a call from Taurus. The lady informed me the pistol could not be repaired. They offered to send me a BNIB 24/7 Generation 2 in its place. They assured me it would be a 9mm with a 4" barrel and stainless steel slide, just like the one I sent in. It would also hold 17+1 rounds. I was not happy, as I really liked the DS Pro, but since I had no option (they would not send back the original), I agreed to accept the Gen 2. Really, it was a great deal. My used and malfunctioning pistol replaced with an updated, improved BNIB unit—I could live with that!! I sent them the data regarding my chosen FFL and waited for my new unit to arrive. Then the problems began.

There was a delay in shipping the new unit, the caller explained. New stock would have to be sent from Brazil and they had no idea when it would arrive. They declined to say anything more than "It could be 2-3 months." OK, again, since I really had no choice, I agreed.

It was at this point I learned this model was part of the lawsuit regarding firing with the safety engaged. I was never told that my pistol was subject to recall and replacement, but I was able to identify it as one of the suspect models. I knew then I was a lucky guy because I was going to get a full replacement, not a monetary re-imbursement based on the number of units returned by owners.

I waited two months and checked with the status update chat option on the Taurus website. The CS agent was efficient, but apologetic. They were still waiting on new stock to arrive from Brazil and they had no idea when it would arrive. "We estimate 2-3 months."

I waited two more months, total of eight since I sent it in, before calling again. Same story. I bought a FNH-FNS-9 to replace the unit, assuming I would never see the Gen 2.

Two months later (total ten months) I contacted the CS chat line again. They informed me they had sent the replacement unit to my FFL two weeks earlier. I was never notified that it was shipped. The status update still showed it was being repaired. I would not have known that the replacement unit had been sent if I had not asked the chat line about it.

I called my FFL the next morning. He had no record of anything from Taurus being sent to me, or of anything being sent to me from anyone. I reminded him of my name, address, and phone number asking him to check that he had the data on file. He confirmed he had the correct data. Confused and growing angry, I told the FFL that I was expecting something from Taurus. He suddenly remembered something. He had a box that came in two weeks ago with no name or address on it. I reminded him I was looking for a 24/7 Gen 2, 4" barrel, with SS slide. Guy told me to wait. He came back and said he had my gun. It was sent to him but he had no idea what to do with it because Taurus gave him no information about who owned it. I picked it up that afternoon, but it was a week before I could get it to the range for testing.

It was a good unit. It was the same size as the Gen 1, but it was now in the same style, and had the same type trigger, as the PT709 Slim. OK, I was comfortable with the pistol, so I was looking forward to a long friendship. However, it had consistent FTFeed and FTE problems. At least two rounds in every mag would jam. I had done a preliminary cleaning when I first received it, but now I took it back to the bench and did a thorough field strip and cleaning. I left it a bit wet, to facilitate things. Still, had the same problem. Cleaned it out and tried it dry. No joy. Polished the feed ramp, cleaned the mags, tried different mags, everything I could think of. Even went to the Taurusarmed.net folks for advice. Did everything they suggested but the unit would not run reliably.

I contacted the Taurus CS chat line again. Gave them the serial number, reminded them of the experience of getting it new as a replacement. They asked what ammo I was using. I told them it was a variety of factory ammo, 115gr FMJ and some JHP. The sent me a shipping label while on the phone. The unit left for Miami the next morning. After two months I talked to the chat CS agent again. Unit was shipped "yesterday." Great, why was I not informed. "You will receive an email about it, but it should reach you with in a week."

I got it the following week. The next day I took it to the range. Same problems. Jam-O-Matic. Did another cleaning and tried again. Same story. I contacted the CS agent again via the chat link. She specifically inquired again about what ammo I used. I told her WWB and PMC 115gr FMJ. She informed me that this was not the ammo the armorers had used. She told me to use the WWB or Remington 147gr. If it still did not work, contact them again. She assured me the data was recorded so they would know what I was doing if I had to contact them again.

Back to the range with a clean pistol and the recommended ammo. Nothing. I could not get it to feed even one round. Insert mag, rack the slide, FTF! Tried three mags. Always the same result. Taurus CS agent sent me another shipping label, and the pistol went back to Miami. I went to Indonesia for work. Wife was not up to speed on this, so she could not follow-up for me. Every time I chatted with her, or face-timed, I asked if I had received a package from Taurus. Six weeks later she told me I had received a package from Miami but there was no name it. Nothing to indicate it was from Taurus. It was left on the front porch by FedEx and she found it when she opened the door the next morning. FedEx did not even ring the bell.

I returned home two weeks later, but it was another two weeks before I had time to take it to the range. It ran perfectly with WWB and PMC in 115gr FMJ and JHP. It ran perfectly with 147gr WWB and Remington FMJ and JHP. It ran like it was supposed to run. It was accurate. It was comfortable to shoot. It was everything I expected it to be. Finally, I had a 24/7 Gen 2 that worked as designed. But I no longer trusted it.

I just did not have any confidence in it. I found myself expecting to for jam. I was not willing to carry it. I preferred my FNS-9. It was the same size, with the same capacity, and it never failed. NEVER. I just could not carry the 24/7 Gen 2.

I offered it for sale on :ingo:. Within 20 minutes I had an offer to purchase it. I met the buyer, informed him of the two trips to Miami the gun had made, showed him the letter from Taurus, explaining what was done, and assured him it was working fine the last time I took it to the range. I explained I just no longer trusted it for an EDC. He wanted it for a range gun, a practice unit, so he was not worried in that regard. As long as it was working properly, he was happy to make the purchase. I have not heard from him, so I assume it is running well for him.

In my opinion, the 24/7 Gen 2 is a fine pistol. When mine was finally working, it was a pleasure to shoot. Taurus had its problems with the lawsuit and the recalls; there were long delays, and they did not inform me as they should have done; but I did finally get a BNIB working pistol.

Would I purchase another 24/7? Would I recommend anyone else purchase a 24/7? It is a good pistol. Taurus stands behind its products and honors its warranty. However, it will be a long time before I purchase another Taurus. I want to see Taurus establish itself again as a reliable manufacturer before I purchase their products.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    we have about 600 rds. thru the one I got for my son. Stripped and cleaned it out of box, lubed it up, had 2 stovepipe fte, otherwise no problems.

redneckninja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Indianapolis
    All,
    Thanks for the replies. From what I'm reading here and other places it seems that the 24/7 is a gamble on whether or not it will have issues. I'm left handed, and it's got good ambi controls for the price, but I think I'm going to pass on it.
    I had a snubnose Taurus .357 revolver years ago that was awesome. Never had a problem at all. I was hoping that their semi-auto would be as reliable. Oh well, time to look at other choices. :)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've got the first Gen, non-ambi controls. Runs like a champ. But with their hit or miss quality I never recommend one to someone unless I'm recomending MINE because I know it runs right.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All,
    Thanks for the replies. From what I'm reading here and other places it seems that the 24/7 is a gamble on whether or not it will have issues. I'm left handed, and it's got good ambi controls for the price, but I think I'm going to pass on it.
    I had a snubnose Taurus .357 revolver years ago that was awesome. Never had a problem at all. I was hoping that their semi-auto would be as reliable. Oh well, time to look at other choices. :)

Their revolvers were very good, and their semi-autos were improving. I really liked the Gen 1 24/7. But for now, I think you made the wise choice; especially after the judge finally accepted the $239,000,000 recall settlement and they have to divy up for those errors, now is not the time to buy Taurus. Wait until they get their house in order and begin making quality products again.

Last edited:

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Over on TaurusArmed.net there are plenty of 24/7G2 lovers and many that carry then every day.

I don't care much for Taurus semi autos as the product support is the worst there is. Magazines are overpriced and scarce. Holsters are near impossible to find what you want. And they don't pay shipping on their warranty claims.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:, Redneck! Good folks here, and it's a great place to learn.

I purchased a 24/7 DS Pro from a fellow :ingo:er 3-4 years back. It was a great pistol. Accurate, comfortable to fire. It ate every kind of ammo I fed it, though it did have trouble with the hand-loaded stuff the seller gave me as a bonus with the purchase—but that was due to a sticky substance on the cartridges, no to problems with the pistol. All the factory ammo ran smoothly through it. I really enjoyed that pistol.

It began having trigger troubles about 18-24 months ago. The trigger would fail to reset periodically—without rhyme or reason. I tried different brands of ammo, cleaned it thoroughly a couple times, re-tested it after each cleaning; just could not get the trigger to work every time. So I finally sent it back to Taurus under the warranty. They paid for the shipping.

I waited two months before I checked the online status update, and checked it regularly thereafter; but it always said that it was being repaired or in process—whatever the term was to say they were working on it. Finally, one evening I got a call from Taurus. The lady informed me the pistol could not be repaired. They offered to send me a BNIB 24/7 Generation 2 in its place. They assured me it would be a 9mm with a 4" barrel and stainless steel slide, just like the one I sent in. It would also hold 17+1 rounds. I was not happy, as I really liked the DS Pro, but since I had no option (they would not send back the original), I agreed to accept the Gen 2. Really, it was a great deal. My used and malfunctioning pistol replaced with an updated, improved BNIB unit—I could live with that!! I sent them the data regarding my chosen FFL and waited for my new unit to arrive. Then the problems began.

There was a delay in shipping the new unit, the caller explained. New stock would have to be sent from Brazil and they had no idea when it would arrive. They declined to say anything more than "It could be 2-3 months." OK, again, since I really had no choice, I agreed.

It was at this point I learned this model was part of the lawsuit regarding firing with the safety engaged. I was never told that my pistol was subject to recall and replacement, but I was able to identify it as one of the suspect models. I knew then I was a lucky guy because I was going to get a full replacement, not a monetary re-imbursement based on the number of units returned by owners.

I waited two months and checked with the status update chat option on the Taurus website. The CS agent was efficient, but apologetic. They were still waiting on new stock to arrive from Brazil and they had no idea when it would arrive. "We estimate 2-3 months."

I waited two more months, total of eight since I sent it in, before calling again. Same story. I bought a FNH-FNS-9 to replace the unit, assuming I would never see the Gen 2.

Two months later (total ten months) I contacted the CS chat line again. They informed me they had sent the replacement unit to my FFL two weeks earlier. I was never notified that it was shipped. The status update still showed it was being repaired. I would not have known that the replacement unit had been sent if I had not asked the chat line about it.

I called my FFL the next morning. He had no record of anything from Taurus being sent to me, or of anything being sent to me from anyone. I reminded him of my name, address, and phone number asking him to check that he had the data on file. He confirmed he had the correct data. Confused and growing angry, I told the FFL that I was expecting something from Taurus. He suddenly remembered something. He had a box that came in two weeks ago with no name or address on it. I reminded him I was looking for a 24/7 Gen 2, 4" barrel, with SS slide. Guy told me to wait. He came back and said he had my gun. It was sent to him but he had no idea what to do with it because Taurus gave him no information about who owned it. I picked it up that afternoon, but it was a week before I could get it to the range for testing.

It was a good unit. It was the same size as the Gen 1, but it was now in the same style, and had the same type trigger, as the PT709 Slim. OK, I was comfortable with the pistol, so I was looking forward to a long friendship. However, it had consistent FTFeed and FTE problems. At least two rounds in every mag would jam. I had done a preliminary cleaning when I first received it, but now I took it back to the bench and did a thorough field strip and cleaning. I left it a bit wet, to facilitate things. Still, had the same problem. Cleaned it out and tried it dry. No joy. Polished the feed ramp, cleaned the mags, tried different mags, everything I could think of. Even went to the Taurusarmed.net folks for advice. Did everything they suggested but the unit would not run reliably.

I contacted the Taurus CS chat line again. Gave them the serial number, reminded them of the experience of getting it new as a replacement. They asked what ammo I was using. I told them it was a variety of factory ammo, 115gr FMJ and some JHP. The sent me a shipping label while on the phone. The unit left for Miami the next morning. After two months I talked to the chat CS agent again. Unit was shipped "yesterday." Great, why was I not informed. "You will receive an email about it, but it should reach you with in a week."

I got it the following week. The next day I took it to the range. Same problems. Jam-O-Matic. Did another cleaning and tried again. Same story. I contacted the CS agent again via the chat link. She specifically inquired again about what ammo I used. I told her WWB and PMC 115gr FMJ. She informed me that this was not the ammo the armorers had used. She told me to use the WWB or Remington 147gr. If it still did not work, contact them again. She assured me the data was recorded so they would know what I was doing if I had to contact them again.

Back to the range with a clean pistol and the recommended ammo. Nothing. I could not get it to feed even one round. Insert mag, rack the slide, FTF! Tried three mags. Always the same result. Taurus CS agent sent me another shipping label, and the pistol went back to Miami. I went to Indonesia for work. Wife was not up to speed on this, so she could not follow-up for me. Every time I chatted with her, or face-timed, I asked if I had received a package from Taurus. Six weeks later she told me I had received a package from Miami but there was no name it. Nothing to indicate it was from Taurus. It was left on the front porch by FedEx and she found it when she opened the door the next morning. FedEx did not even ring the bell.

I returned home two weeks later, but it was another two weeks before I had time to take it to the range. It ran perfectly with WWB and PMC in 115gr FMJ and JHP. It ran perfectly with 147gr WWB and Remington FMJ and JHP. It ran like it was supposed to run. It was accurate. It was comfortable to shoot. It was everything I expected it to be. Finally, I had a 24/7 Gen 2 that worked as designed. But I no longer trusted it.

I just did not have any confidence in it. I found myself expecting to for jam. I was not willing to carry it. I preferred my FNS-9. It was the same size, with the same capacity, and it never failed. NEVER. I just could not carry the 24/7 Gen 2.

I offered it for sale on :ingo:. Within 20 minutes I had an offer to purchase it. I met the buyer, informed him of the two trips to Miami the gun had made, showed him the letter from Taurus, explaining what was done, and assured him it was working fine the last time I took it to the range. I explained I just no longer trusted it for an EDC. He wanted it for a range gun, a practice unit, so he was not worried in that regard. As long as it was working properly, he was happy to make the purchase. I have not heard from him, so I assume it is running well for him.

In my opinion, the 24/7 Gen 2 is a fine pistol. When mine was finally working, it was a pleasure to shoot. Taurus had its problems with the lawsuit and the recalls; there were long delays, and they did not inform me as they should have done; but I did finally get a BNIB working pistol.

Would I purchase another 24/7? Would I recommend anyone else purchase a 24/7? It is a good pistol. Taurus stands behind its products and honors its warranty. However, it will be a long time before I purchase another Taurus. I want to see Taurus establish itself again as a reliable manufacturer before I purchase their products.

Way too many stories around like this one about Taurus. If it says Taurus on it, pass. These problems with Taurus aren't new.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'm sitting on two of the first gen 24/7's, one OSS, and one compact, both are included in the lawsuit, so I'm waiting for things to settle down, so I can send them in, and get two g2's. Once I get the g2's I'm got even going to fire them, I'll sell them both as new, and buy another Glock.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I have never liked Taurus, every time I shot one, there was an issue. FTF or FTE, in a mag or two, maybe it was just bad luck but it was enough to turn me off of their pistols. Never had a problem with the revolvers, but I hear they are just as hit or miss. For not much more you can get into a ruger or used glock and be much better off.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I have had a 24/7 G2 compact for about a year now. It is the .45 model. I have had no problems with it. I like it for the ambi controls. That was my priority, and I must say I am happy with it so far. My next choice in another caliber, and probably what I will get soon, is the Ruger SR9c, also for the ambidextrous controls. IF I could get the SR compact in .45, that would be the best!

I have had good luck with Taurus. This is my second Taurus pistol, and the Taurus revolver I owned was a great shooter. My experience with them is good, so I have had no reason to deal with their customer service. Also, it is my understanding that the G2 models were not part of the recall.
    ----
    GB!

Top Bottom