• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :popcorn: I'll wait for other's commentary before watching the video. I don't much care for that guy. He sure seems to like himself though... ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :popcorn: I'll wait for other's commentary before watching the video. I don't much care for that guy. He sure seems to like himself though... ;)

I only got a couple minutes into it. Someday maybe I will try my hand at being a YouTube celebrity. Of course I would need to learn how to edit video and upload to YouTube. Just too much commitment for me.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Never watched the video, can't get past the YM juvenile jokes. A ton of LE Agencies emphasize the slingshot method. Myself I feel it's up to the individual and how they can get the gun back into action. I have seen some excellent examples of both and some not so good examples. Slingshot does seem to work better on Glocks (overall) than some other brands.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Was at a LGS over the weekend and watched the counter guy and her husband try to teach a female senior citizen the overhand method on a Glock 19. Needless to say after the slide bite and a nasty bruise I doubt she will ever pick up a hand gun agin, as fast as she set (dropped) that pistol on the counter and walked out I'm sure her husband got an ear full in the car.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The overhand method is going to be much easier (and likely the only option) for someone with a weaker grip or arthritis issues... such as a female senior citizen.

I can't handle this guy's videos... Even if they presented good information, I don't think I could get past the country bumpkin lisp.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The overhand method is going to be much easier (and likely the only option) for someone with a weaker grip or arthritis issues... such as a female senior citizen.

I can't handle this guy's videos... Even if they presented good information, I don't think I could get past the country bumpkin lisp.

As soon as I clicked on it and saw who it was, I turned it off. It may have been good information (doubtful) but I will never know.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As soon as I clicked on it and saw who it was, I turned it off. It may have been good information (doubtful) but I will never know.

I watched enough to see that the YouTube expert was doing both methods incorrectly. Of course that is my opinion and worth exactly what I jut charged to share it. I have seen both methods work or not work depending on the gun and the shooter. The pinchy method seldom works out well. He lost me when he started babbling about why said pinchy method was the way the hand worked and stronger, but some weak handed people might have problems. :n00b: As a husband of a women with arthritis plus hand injuries and someone with weak hands myself I have more then earned the rights to my opinions.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Linked video is an unconvincing rant.

An example of such unconvincingness:

If the "pinch" grip/slingshot technique is "stronger," then why is the "clamshell" grip/overhand method preferred by those of weaker strength? Hint: The latter is a stronger combination. Duh.

If grip strength is a factor the youtuber wants to explore, he might be interested to know that people who study grip strength will tell you that grips which maintain more neutral wrist position (i.e. overhand) are stronger than grips with involve an articulated wrist (i.e. slingshot).

I think it's funny he invokes Jerry Miculek in support of the pinch/slingshot. Someone should tell his daughter Lena, since she's using the overhand method herself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqEvpugYVds

Another example of Lena going, gasp, overhand! (0:07) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU5eeI9n05k

And on, and on. Video is chuck full of such holes.

I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm just saying the video's argument is poor.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I always grip overhand, but not with fingertips that are weak. You have to get the meat of your hand on it and have the thumb/forefinger fully engaged.

And why is it critical to have the muzzle "stay on target" when you rack the slide? That's stupid. Loading/reloading and target acquisition are separate processes. If you are trying to do both at once, you are going to do poorly at each. You won't have the muzzle on target, NOR will you have a quick and efficient reload.

Oy.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I actually did watch ( or at least listen as I was reading comments on here) the video. He's not someone I've seen a bunch from on Youtube. I'm really surprised that no one has commented about the fact he's wearing a Glock hat and shirt but is swearing that hammer-fired semis are superior to striker-fired. Also, the "outtakes" at the end are actually pretty funny!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I did not watch the vid ..... if I am reloading from the slide locked open, I use the lever that is on the side of the gun .....

THAT is what it is there for ..... YES, I am old school ..... I ONLY use slingshot, for chambering a round, and clearing a jam .....

I have benn training on this, since 1979 ..... When I bought my 9mm S&W .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I did not watch the vid ..... if I am reloading from the slide locked open, I use the lever that is on the side of the gun .....

THAT is what it is there for ..... YES, I am old school ..... I ONLY use slingshot, for chambering a round, and clearing a jam .....

I have benn training on this, since 1979 ..... When I bought my 9mm S&W .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

The whole pulling on the back of the slide has been gravitated to because of after action shooting investigations. Officers (particularly Glock trained officers) got their weapon back into action when using that method over those not using it. this is mostly with Glock equipped agency which the majority are still even today. Glock teaches nit to use the slide stop. This is because on a standard Glock the small area if the slide stop combined with the tenifer Finnish it can be harder to manipulate than the slide stops of S&W, Beretta etc. I used a Beretta and Sig for about 20 some years and always use (was trained) to use the slide stop and had not problems but will somewhat agree with Glock because stock Glocks slidestops can be missed, or a little slick.

I know when I got to Glynco for Lead Firearms re cert everytime FLETC preaches and preaches the overhand technique on reloads

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The guy certainly has his opinions, and loves to preach. I got about 2-3 minutes into it, and couldn't take any more. If your goal is to instruct, you need to keep your audience engaged, and if going by the responses in this thread are any indication, he is failing miserably. Although, since we are obviously not Tacti-Tards, this video was not targeted at us. Tacti-tards must love this guy, right? No? Then who did he actually think was going to listen to his rant?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Overhand is more of a cure-all multi-use function.

I want an ingrained motion that can cure many ills as part of my training.

No bang? Tap, overhand rack, hope to get a bang.

Double feed? Drop/strip mag, overhand rack/s, insert mag, overhand rack, hope to get a bang.

Stovepipe? overhand rack, hope to get a bang.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Saw who it was and shut it down. Guy reminds me of my father in-law. Everything out of his yap is completly false.

Top Bottom