• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StorminJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ok, guys, today is 8/15/2016 and the big news item today is that Milwaukee police shot someone. The BLM rioters started attacking any car that appeared to have a white driver in it. Currently, I do not carry a gun in my car. I worry about the police pulling me over and having some sort of misunderstanding. I worry about the summer heat warping something on my S&W M&P .40 compact or warping the ammunition. I worry about leaving my gun in my car while I'm at work and then having my car broken into and the gun stolen. I have an Indiana Concealed Carry Permit.

Furthermore, I don't even understand how to use a pistol in self defense in my car. A mentor I once had wanted to go shooting in the rain, but he didn't want to get rained on. He lined his car up with his target and rolled down the window. Then, he positioned himself and shot out the open car window. The sound of the gun inside such a tightly enclosed space caused him hearing loss for a week, and that was one shot. What would happen if I was trying to fire off 3 or 4 (or a whole clip) of ammo because rioters had me stopped?

Can you guys please tell me what to do or alleviate my fears? I have no intention of letting rioters or protesters pull me out of my car. I'm starting to think the best option is to just hit the gas and drive over people. How do you defend yourself in this situation? Is it safe to fire a pistol from such a tightly enclosed space? Do I need an extra magazine in the car or is the sound of the first shot going to send rioters running from my car?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is there a reason you can't carry on your person?

Guns don't warp at car interior temps.

Police misunderstandings are easy to avoid. Don't reach for it, don't jump out of the car and yell "I've got a gun!!!" sort of thing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    First off, since Indiana does not issue "concealed carry permits", you don't have one.
    If you examine that beautiful pink plastic (or paper) card, you'll notice across the top that it reads,
    "State of Indiana License To Carry Handgun".
    It does NOT require you to conceal. You can duct tape your pistol to your forehead if you so choose.

Now, to get to your concerns.
    Yes, you can safely fire from a car. Yes, ideally you would have hearing protection, but that's usually not an option.
    I would rather live my life as a deaf than to die early.

The summer heat will not warp your pistol, or your ammo.
    Extremely high heat, or cold, and wild fluctuations in temperature can take a toll on modern ammunition, but it usually takes a while. I wouldn't leave a loaded mag in the glove box for years, but weeks should be no problem.

Running over bodies to extricate yourself from an undesirable situation is one option I would leave as a last resort.
    Not precise enough. What if one or more people in your way are not threatening you? Will you run them over to get away from those who do pose a threat?

I don't want to shoot anyone, but I feel I could be MUCH more subjective, and selective, about whom to address as a threat.

In the end, you need to decide what you are comfortable with.
    One size does not fit all...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The answer to your first question is: are you in fear of your life, the life of a 3rd party, or serious bodily injury? And will you be able to convince a jury of your peers that you had a reasonable fear (should it get that far)? That's the same whether you decide to use a gun to repel the attack or your car to defend yourself and escape.

Did your mentor have hearing protection when s/he shot that gun in the car? But yes, if you're in fear for your life, a week of your ears ringing might well be worth not being dead.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'd wager that, in general, you need to become more confident and (possibly) proficient with your handgun. The best and most efficient way to do that is to take classes; you can make progress on your own, but for the beginning shooter classes are more cost effective in the long run. "How can that be?" you may ask... if you learn "correct" manipulations from the start you won't have to spend money on ammo and waste time unlearning all the bad habits you developed. Many of the questions you've asked here are covered in basic handgun classes, and can be followed with a demonstration and then practiced. There are many good instructors on INGO. I am not one of them, but if you decide to seek training I'm sure you'll get many recommendations.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Don't worry about the police. As soon as they run your drivers license it's known that you possess a LTCH. Like BehindBlueI's said, don't do anything stupid!

They make lock boxes with cable attachments to lock up your gun in your car. The cable attaches to the seat frame and slide the box under the seat.

Stay out of bad areas of town.

Remember that your vehicle can be used as a weapon if needed. This may be a better option that trying to shoot out of a moving vehicle.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    First off, since Indiana does not issue "concealed carry permits", you don't have one.
    If you examine that beautiful pink plastic (or paper) card, you'll notice across the top that it reads,
    "State of Indiana License To Carry Handgun".
    It does NOT require you to conceal. You can duct tape your pistol to your forehead if you so choose.

Now, to get to your concerns.
    Yes, you can safely fire from a car. Yes, ideally you would have hearing protection, but that's usually not an option.
    I would rather live my life as a deaf than to die early.

The summer heat will not warp your pistol, or your ammo.
    Extremely high heat, or cold, and wild fluctuations in temperature can take a toll on modern ammunition, but it usually takes a while. I wouldn't leave a loaded mag in the glove box for years, but weeks should be no problem.

Running over bodies to extricate yourself from an undesirable situation is one option I would leave as a last resort.
    Not precise enough. What if one or more people in your way are not threatening you? Will you run them over to get away from those who do pose a threat?

I don't want to shoot anyone, but I feel I could be MUCH more subjective, and selective, about whom to address as a threat.

In the end, you need to decide what you are comfortable with.
    One size does not fit all...

MAMMYNUN said:
    I'd wager that, in general, you need to become more confident and (possibly) proficient with your handgun. The best and most efficient way to do that is to take classes; you can make progress on your own, but for the beginning shooter classes are more cost effective in the long run. "How can that be?" you may ask... if you learn "correct" manipulations from the start you won't have to spend money on ammo and waste time unlearning all the bad habits you developed. Many of the questions you've asked here are covered in basic handgun classes, and can be followed with a demonstration and then practiced. There are many good instructors on INGO. I am not one of them, but if you decide to seek training I'm sure you'll get many recommendations.

I agree with both of these recommendations, especially the training piece. You will be surprised how many of your concerns are addressed in training.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Whew, lots of stuff here:

OP, as a guy who has sat in a car on scorching days for hours on end, I can confidently say you don't have to worry about you gun or ammo warping. god love ya, lol.

And if your mentor, is your firearm mentor, get another one. I don't like to get rained on either, but you don't get to choose the conditions where you might have to defend yourself.

I wouldn't count on the sound of gunshots sending people running. If you are in a car, and are in fear for your life due to a riot, that you are confident you could shoot them and be on the right side of legality, forget the gun and re-enact Death Race 2000.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

OP, as a guy who has sat in a car on scorching days for hours on end, I can confidently say you don't have to worry about you gun or ammo warping. god love ya, lol.

And if your mentor, is your firearm mentor, get another one. I don't like to get rained on either, but you don't get to choose the conditions where you might have to defend yourself.

I wouldn't count on the sound of gunshots sending people running. If you are in a car, and are in fear for your life due to a riot, that you are confident you could shoot them and be on the right side of legality, forget the gun and re-enact Death Race 2000.

I stand with Kut 100% on this one.

StorminJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Bloomington

I definitely appreciate all of the replies and I do think that Kut might be the guy to sum it up best.....especially because I think I am at the place where I would go full Death Race 2000 to get out of there. If I couldn't, then it would be time to see a .40 fired from a car window.

Just to clarify.....that particular mentor was my college professor and he was a gun nut. The last time I got to see him in person was 1994. He said he was wearing the little foam ear plugs that day but that he thought they hadn't expanded in his ears all the way. On a different day in 1992, he scratched his car up by not paying attention which direction the cartridges were being ejected.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Agree with most comments here. You got your pink card for a reason, right? It is our right to arm ourselves to protect us when our life is in danger. HOWEVER, as has been mentioned, you need to be proficient with your handgun, not just from a technical standpoint, but also from a tactical and legal standpoint before you start carrying daily. Do you understand when it is appropriate to draw and discharge your weapon (legally and morally)?

If you feel that you are not ready, please do not start carrying because you are scared, but instead, go get some training as has been mentioned, do some reading up on your legal rights, etc.

Best of luck with your approach, it is indeed a scary world we live in.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lots of points. Let me start at the top:
    1) Just carry. Shouldn't matter if you are in a car, on a bus, or walking down the street.
    2) Shooting from inside a car may be inconvenient. It should be. Last resorts usually are.
    3) Your car is a much more effective weapon than a handgun. If you aren't prepared to use it to save your life, then I suspect you are not prepared to use the handgun, either.
    4) Don't worry about the cops. This is Indiana, not Maryland, Illinois, or California.
    5) Get some training. Any training. From a real instructor.

As far as rioters blocking the street:
    1) don't be there
    2) if you end up there, leave
    3) if you can't leave, hang tight. You are in a 2-ton steel box. What, exactly, are they going to do?
    4) if they try to harm you, just leave. You are in a 2-ton steel box. How, exactly, can they stop you?
    5) if they do manage to prevent you from leaving, and they are still trying to harm you, it is now time for those "last resort" options. There is likely no good, clean, safe thing to do. But, you gotta do it anyway. Better deaf than dead.

Edit: Yes, I like lists. A lot.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    You're surrounded by rioters? Other than eldirector's "Don't be there", I have a slightly different take on this.

Firing your handgun at them is most likely to result in an even more furious attack on you and your vehicle. If your firearm does manage to keep them at some distance, your vehicle and you will quickly be set on fire. Count your rounds and save one for yourself.

Best to simply stay out of troubled inner city areas during rioting.....or carry a 'Hollywood good-guy full auto' that always hits the bad guys and never runs out of ammo.

bubbazap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Agree with most comments here. You got your pink card for a reason, right? It is our right to arm ourselves to protect us when our life is in danger. HOWEVER, as has been mentioned, you need to be proficient with your handgun, not just from a technical standpoint, but also from a tactical and legal standpoint before you start carrying daily. Do you understand when it is appropriate to draw and discharge your weapon (legally and morally)?

If you feel that you are not ready, please do not start carrying because you are scared, but instead, go get some training as has been mentioned, do some reading up on your legal rights, etc.

Best of luck with your approach, it is indeed a scary world we live in.

While he may have that pink card to carry on his person, many employers will not allow you carry on their property. For me that meant the company owned vehicle that I used daily. I solved the problem by quitting my job and gong to work for myself. Still some customers will not allow me to carry on their property , but my weapon is locked in MY vehicle and withing a couple of dozen steps at all times, not sitting home missing me.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I work in IL, so I can only carry when driving in my car as per the state law allows. If I have a job in Indiana and my employer doesn't say anything relating to guns, I will carry as long as I conceal it if that employer isn't gun friendly, though how would I know that unless I ask directly but that would lead my employer to suspicions that I carry and if he is anti-gun, would question me.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Problem. Solved.

tactical_vw_golf.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Lots of points. Let me start at the top:
    1) Just carry. Shouldn't matter if you are in a car, on a bus, or walking down the street.
    2) Shooting from inside a car may be inconvenient. It should be. Last resorts usually are.
    3) Your car is a much more effective weapon than a handgun. If you aren't prepared to use it to save your life, then I suspect you are not prepared to use the handgun, either.
    4) Don't worry about the cops. This is Indiana, not Maryland, Illinois, or California.
    5) Get some training. Any training. From a real instructor.

As far as rioters blocking the street:
    1) don't be there
    2) if you end up there, leave
    3) if you can't leave, hang tight. You are in a 2-ton steel box. What, exactly, are they going to do?
    4) if they try to harm you, just leave. You are in a 2-ton steel box. How, exactly, can they stop you?
    5) if they do manage to prevent you from leaving, and they are still trying to harm you, it is now time for those "last resort" options. There is likely no good, clean, safe thing to do. But, you gotta do it anyway. Better deaf than dead.

Edit: Yes, I like lists. A lot.

Alas, if one is in the People's Republic of Carmel one does have to worry about the cops.

Top Bottom