• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    Im thinking about adding a striker fired pistol to my collection, and I have narrowed down to Glock 19, HK VP9, SW MP9, and SA XDM. What would be the best bang for buck? And why?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a M&P, it fits me okay.

But I'm planning on selling it to get a Sig P320, they just fit me better.

The VP9 also fits well but the chambers are weird to if you reload the brass will get funky

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I am currently carrying a glock 19. I think it is a fine pistol and I do not know of any pistol that has such a broad varieties of accessories. I bet there are more holsters available for the G19 than any other pistol.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Shoot and decide. This isn't a decision anyone can (or should) make for you. All mentioned are quality pistols and similarly priced.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The VP9 also fits well but the chambers are weird to if you reload the brass will get funky

I was just about to recommend the VP9. I love it, and it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever seen, I have between 4,000 and 5,000 rounds through mine without a single misfire. Not one! I am just starting to looking into reloading, so your comment concerned me. Where did you hear this?

Thanks.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What are you planning on doing with it? If it is just for your collection then it would hardly seem to matter which one you get. Of the group I would least recommend the XD as that is what I have seen the most problems with on the range. (Mostly a training issue regarding the grip safety) All of the mentioned pistols are fine along with the Sig 320. I have shot and owned them all (except for not owning the 320), and find none to be vastly superior to the others. I stick with the Glock for familiarity and logistical reasons.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Went to the range last weekend to compare my M&P 9 to my FNH FNS 9. Results were similar with each. The most noticeable difference came when my hands started to get sweaty. The aggressive texture on the grip of the FNS 9 enabled me to keep a consistently firm grip. With the M&P, my grip started to squirm a bit at that point. I like both guns, but when I consider the controls on both sides of the FNS 9, it gets the nod for my cold season carry gun. Just received KT Mech OWB Gunfighter holster for it.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've had Glocks in the past - but don't any more (but I'd take another if offered...)

I've had an XD in the past - but don't any more.

I currently have M&P stuff.

Never dried the Sig 320 - but I want to.

I've shot a buddy's VP9 a few mags' worth. They're "OK" to me - but feel "tinny" and less solid than all the others. But I'd still take one over an XD.

Pick one and make it yours - as long as it's not an XD. Friends don't let friends buy XD pistols.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    my EDC is an HK P30

Then I'd probably go with the VP9. The ability to stock up on magazines and have them work in both guns is a very nice plus. Having the same style magazine release, sights, nearly the same grip, etc. means practice with one more readily transfers to the other.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was just about to recommend the VP9. I love it, and it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever seen, I have between 4,000 and 5,000 rounds through mine without a single misfire. Not one! I am just starting to looking into reloading, so your comment concerned me. Where did you hear this?

Thanks.

I have a friend with one that his casings look normal then where the bullet would be seated, after firing, the casing expands a little, like the chamber is oversized a touch. He sent it back to HK and they said it was normal and designed that way to help extraction or something like that. Pistol functions fine, but the brass looks a little off, as far as I know he hasn't had any issues reloading it. I'll see if he can get me a casing or two and I'll post a pic

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Then I'd probably go with the VP9. The ability to stock up on magazines and have them work in both guns is a very nice plus. Having the same style magazine release, sights, nearly the same grip, etc. means practice with one more readily transfers to the other.

This.

I will attest to the VP9 having a "cheaper" feel to me compared to the P30, but it is still an excellent pistol that requires nothing beyond your preferred sights to be a great range/carry and or competition gun.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    Shoot and decide. This isn't a decision anyone can (or should) make for you. All mentioned are quality pistols and similarly priced.
    I have shot them all. The Vp9 felt the best but I have heard some bad reviews about it. Glock 19 is nice but a little bulky for me. The MP9 is nice but I dont ike the trigger. The XDM is super accurate and very well made but I dont care much for the extra safety function. All have advantage and disanvantage.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    What are you planning on doing with it? If it is just for your collection then it would hardly seem to matter which one you get. Of the group I would least recommend the XD as that is what I have seen the most problems with on the range. (Mostly a training issue regarding the grip safety) All of the mentioned pistols are fine along with the Sig 320. I have shot and owned them all (except for not owning the 320), and find none to be vastly superior to the others. I stick with the Glock for familiarity and logistical reasons.
    [QUOTE=cedartop

just for additional to my collection, and maybe for range fun. I have always been a hammer fired pistol guy, and my current edc is an HK P30. I need a good striker fired pistol so that I can practice with it. It'll take me a while to jump from hammer fired to striker fired pistol.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Since you already have/like the P30, I'd also suggest a VP9. From a practical standpoint, it uses the same mags. Having the same ergonomics could be good or bad, I've found that sometimes more drastically different things are sometimes easier to get used to because your body knows by feel it's something different. If the grips feel the same your body might expect the trigger and everything else to be the same so you don't intuitively switch expectations until after it goes bang (where you aren't expecting it to)

I have a P30 too and used to have an XDm, one big thing I noticed is that with very little sweat, the XD seemed to squirm in my hand where the P30 texture and shape just locks into my hand. Of course I didn't notice until I'd gotten the P30 to compare to. I never had issues with the XD grip safety and I'm not sure how you'd hold the pistol to do so. I do question how many passive safeties you really need so I guess it's really a non-issue in my mind.

Glock maybe, make sure the angle works for you. The others have the more typical upright grip, glock has the wider angle that doesn't agree with some people.
    M&P I have very little experience with. Not a big fan of the top/bottom split trigger (my wife definitely isn't since her fingers are small enough to miss the bottom half)

How varied is your collection already? Are you looking to branch out? Can you try them all out before buying?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom