• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Let's just get this out front: I'm not so great at my shooting any more - I just don't have time to practice like I'd like to, I don't have a great grip with my arthritis, and I'm not Hickok45.

All that being said, I was curious just what the difference would be if I set out to compare a G26 and G27 back to back with carry ammo. For the first time, wifey and I have one of each, so I thought this was my opportunity.

I came home from work and took both guns out for a quick vid with the carry ammo in each. Shot this vid cold with no practice beforehand.

I don't normally try to shoot real fast. I'm normally trying to put all my shots in one hole. This time around I thought I'd attempt a "rapid fire" string, focusing mainly on putting rounds on target as quickly as I acquired the sights. My speed obviously hindered my accuracy, but the results were telling, to me, anyway.

And it made my decision between carrying a 26 or a 27 pretty easy.

As long as my grip strength holds, I'll take the 27. It's not as pleasant to shoot, and bucks quite a bit more. But it's doing more downrange and I seem to shoot it just as well as the 26. YMMV.

Here's the vid:

[video]https://youtu.be/yhxH45VSJZo[/video]

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I shoot mine about the same, just prefer the G-27, would not be under gunned with a nine though.
    Shooting my 2.5 gen today at the range this afternoon.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I don't have any hands on experience with the 26. But I will echo what has already been said about the 27. I think the way the grip fits perfectly in my hand has something to do with it. If I didn't already have and like my M&P 9c, I would get a 26. Can't go wrong with either one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Watch your support hand with the G26. Watch your support hand with the G27. Note what your thumbs start doing with the G27. It's tough to tell from video, but it also looks like you start to break and re-establish grip on the first shot. Look at your shoulders. You are being pushed back with both guns, but more by the .40. A guy your size shouldn't be pushed back that much. Add a little more forward lean. I had the same issue and didn't realize it until I saw myself on video at McPhee's class.

Now, that said I don't shoot a 9mm any faster than I shoot a .40 if I shoot them back to back. The reason is simple. I've got a cadence in my head that I can shoot at, so I'm used to the .40 cadence. As I transition to 9mm, the split times will go down as I get used to the new cadence. I can track the sight easier, and that results in faster times. Do some cadence drills (metronome drill, rhythm drill, people call it different things) starting at a 1 second cadence then reducing by a tenth of a second until you're down to the point you are throwing shots. Maybe a 10" circle at 7y for a target. The differences will become more apparent.

I'd also argue that the .40 isn't really "doing more down range" if we're talking about self defense shooting, and assuming quality HP ammo. There's nothing wrong with 9mm or with .40, but if all else is equal you will eventually find yourself shooting the 9mm faster -or- shooting well easier at any given cadence.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You controlled the 9mm better through recoil, which in turns gives quicker follow up shots naturally.

Regardless of where you're hitting on target, you're back on target faster with 9mm. And it's one more round before slide lock.

I traded my g26, and I only have g19's now. I'm not much help I know :)

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Get the 27 and the 9mm conversation setup.

That way you have both options on the same frame.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Through the course of time, your arthritis will only get worse. The flip did not seem worse with the 27, but it did appear to "shock" your hands and wrists more than the 26. Over the next 10 to 20 years, equal numbers of rounds down range, the 27 will cause more damage to you. You obviously look young enough to be shooting much longer the 20 more years.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    There's a lot left to be desired from this rather basic test of, essentially, the same firearm in two calibers. Shooting paper is one thing, but shooting on the move, when your hearts pounding, and adrenaline is kicking, in competition or some other sport, is totally different. I don't trust a gun I haven't taken to a match because they always perform differently there then at a paper punching range. The body reacts differently to the stress and I find that any issue with a gun, either it's performance or mine, becomes highly evident by the end. I shot a G26 a few winters ago at an indoor shoot and learned that my high grip led to slide bite and the small frame with fast reloads led to pinched skin and blood blisters. I quickly learned to hold it differently out of the holster. This is something that was not apparent at the paper range prior, because there were no other factors to shooting a gun out of a box. I have witnessed guns run perfectly at a range and then malfunction like crazy at a competition because a little dust and stress got involved in the mix. I've also had a glock .40 kaboom in my hand during a match and a slide stop spring break causing malfunctions. My point is, I'd put money on you running a 26 better and faster in IDPA, USPSA, or a steel match. That's a video id like to see.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a 27 and it was a fine carry piece but was more if a hand full compared to a 26. Nothing you wouldn't handle but would have a slight difference more than likely when you fired them however miniscule unless you are a machine.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Through the course of time, your arthritis will only get worse. The flip did not seem worse with the 27, but it did appear to "shock" your hands and wrists more than the 26. Over the next 10 to 20 years, equal numbers of rounds down range, the 27 will cause more damage to you. You obviously look young enough to be shooting much longer the 20 more years.

AMEN, to that !!!!! MY wrists HURT !!!!!

I am a 9, and .45 guy, now ..... and my .45 is mostly STEEL ....

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Adjusted my support hand grip - seems more controlled to me - though I'll admit this time I was just focusing on grip and control, so my accuracy wasn't up to my standards.

I've never used much of my support hand grip other than stabilizing the gun - not actively using it to mitigate flip. Might be the ticket...

https://youtu.be/sVsMBrqPe5k

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Adjusted my support hand grip - seems more controlled to me - though I'll admit this time I was just focusing on grip and control, so my accuracy wasn't up to my standards.

I've never used much of my support hand grip other than stabilizing the gun - not actively using it to mitigate flip. Might be the ticket...

https://youtu.be/sVsMBrqPe5k

Your support hand should be doing most of the work. If you rotate your wrist a bit more so your thumb is pointing at the target, you'll get better lock out and much better recoil mitigation. The "thumbs forward grip" as it's usually called. I think if you poke around YouTube Ben Stoeger probably has some videos. Also note how much you got pushed back during that string of fire. A little lean will help you quite a bit.

I suspect if you took a diagnostics class and made a few little tweaks to your grip and stance you'd see noticeable gains right away.

Cmak85

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I carry a G26 (didn't shoot G27 well) and I have a G19 for colder months. LUV my GLOCKS. 9mm all day cheaper and easier to shoot. just my .02...

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Pretty good vid, OP. I've been on the fence between getting a 26/27 or a 43 or a shield. I like the extra rounds of the 26/27 but it just feel so weird holding a short double stack and having my pinky roll underneath the mag.

Top Bottom