• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22/45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Around the loop
    Just as the title asks, anyone have first hand experience with the J.A. 22? I'm not expecting much, just found one NIB for $40 and thought it would be fun at the range at that price. Not looking to carry it. Anyone have anything horrible to say about it? Maybe something good?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    California Z gun.

When I sold them at Galyan's we called them "trot line" guns. The best purpose for a CA Z gun was as a trotline anchor.

Our buyer called them "popcorn guns" as they were as durable as popcorn and sold like that too. IIRC we got about half of them back.

I would not have one, but if you understand the limitations of the platform and are looking for a POS to shoot only at the range, your call.

Me? I would use the $40 for mags or ammo.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    California Z gun.

When I sold them at Galyan's we called them "trot line" guns. The best purpose for a CA Z gun was as a trotline anchor.

Our buyer called them "popcorn guns" as they were as durable as popcorn and sold like that too. IIRC we got about half of them back.

I would not have one, but if you understand the limitations of the platform and are looking for a POS to shoot only at the range, your call.

Me? I would use the $40 for mags or ammo.

^^^This right here^^^

A junk gun will always be junk. If it's all you can afford and need to defend yourself, then I'm not knocking that, but if you can afford better then do it. Or if you already have "good" guns, spend the money on more mags and ammo.

22/45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Around the loop
    I have the opportunity to test fire prior to purchase. I figure if it goes bang I should be fine. It's only going to be a range gun if it works. :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is a gun that retails at least triple that new. You could buy it for a trade and get a significant amount of free trade value on your next gun shop purchase.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yeah, the Jiminez and it's brethren aren't the most reliable pistols.

The thing to look out for is if you can pick up some of the older European imports, before they were cut off in the 68 gun control act (or were otherwise stopped). Not all are good (like Rohm guns), but there are few little gems in there made in Italy or in Spain (usually copies of a more expensive gun) that can be solid shooters.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, there was a company called B&D Guns that would always have a table at the 1500. Their table would be awash in typically inexpensive handguns, including some of these old imports, along with their American counterparts (Ravens, Davis, Lorcins, Jennings, HiPoints, Iberias, etc). I purchased many a cheap pocket pistol from them, usually for under $50 a piece, just to try them out. Most were junk of course, but I found a few good keepers in there, like an old FIE Titan .25. It came in a weird naugahyde covered box with a receipt from the gun shop where it was originally sold back in the late 60's. That gun worked perfectly. I never had a problem with it and it was a really nice shooter. I ended up giving to an ex-girlfriend since she didn't really like shooting anything else (and I figured it was better than nothing for her). I missed that gun so much that I bought two more off of Gunbroker and am trying to turn one of them into a suppressor host (may not work as that barrel is pretty thin but it might be possibly by doing internal threading and having an adapter made that has 1/2x28 threading).

Anyway, I've always had a interest in these cheap little guns. I have a decent (though small) collection of late 19th century pocket revolvers (most in .32 S&W Short and .38 S&W). They are just a lot of fun to shoot.

Now, would I care one in earnest? Not if I had any other option, but, hey, I'm sure my S&W lemon squeezer .38 S&W killed plenty of bad (and sadly, not bad) guys in her time (or her sisters did at any rate). She probably has at least one more in her. :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I missed that gun so much that I bought two more off of Gunbroker and am trying to turn one of them into a suppressor host (may not work as that barrel is pretty thin but it might be possibly by doing internal threading and having an adapter made that has 1/2x28 threading).

Given that the .25 ACP is a pretty anemic cartridge, I would think you could have a sleeve machined to fit snug over that little bit of barrel protrusion with a couple of holes to spot weld and then turn it down with the extension threaded 1/2-28.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Those F.I.E. guns are surprisingly well made. I have "The Best" model .25acp, which is a clone of the Colt "Junior", or the Colt was a clone of the F.I.E.? IDK, there was some sort of collaboration between the two companies along with Astra that produced the "Cub" which was another clone.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Given that the .25 ACP is a pretty anemic cartridge, I would think you could have a sleeve machined to fit snug over that little bit of barrel protrusion with a couple of holes to spot weld and then turn it down with the extension threaded 1/2-28.

I don't know, there isn't much space at all in front of the slide (not mine, though the one that went to my ex looked exactly like that). Internal threading robs you of a bit of barrel length, but I think it might give you a more secure base for the adapter (I don't want any baffle strikes, though granted I'll be shooting it with a 9mm can on it, so there will be some wiggle room).

wm_4114345.jpg

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My JA22 works fine. Used it in a BUG stage at ACC once. Finished second in that stage.

Only problem is that my blued gun has turned BLUE.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't know, there isn't much space at all in front of the slide (not mine, though the one that went to my ex looked exactly like that). Internal threading robs you of a bit of barrel length, but I think it might give you a more secure base for the adapter (I don't want any baffle strikes, though granted I'll be shooting it with a 9mm can on it, so there will be some wiggle room).

I was primarily motivated by finding a way to have a good precise fit without weakening the barrel by cutting threads into that thin of a barrel, which is why a machined extension spot welded on to the barrel and threaded 1/2-28 came to mind.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It sorta worked, just to update. No Jiminez for this guy.

You made a wise choice. My brother tried shooting one once. Besides the fact that it would be like throwing rocks, he said he could not hit anything with it.

This is a gun that retails at least triple that new. You could buy it for a trade and get a significant amount of free trade value on your next gun shop purchase.

This would be the only good reason to buy one. By the way. Welcome to INGO. :):

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Raven, Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez....................they are what they are, many of us (just won't admit to it, like riding a moped, or having fun with a fat lady) have had one at some point in their younger less affluent and knowledgeable days.

I had a Jennings, that worked pretty much and carried it in a shirt pocket in my early twenties. A tackle box pistol, yea, I once saw a security guard at a Toys-R- Us (Castleton Square) with a dual shoulder holster sporting two of them.

If it works, great, you get what you paid for, if not, well there is always a get a Pizza certificate or $25 cash buy back for a gun program.

Fun toys...............got rid of mine long ago, but wouldn't throw one away if I had it today.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Raven, Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez....................they are what they are, many of us (just won't admit to it, like riding a moped, or having fun with a fat lady) have had one at some point in their younger less affluent and knowledgeable days.

I had a Jennings, that worked pretty much and carried it in a shirt pocket in my early twenties. A tackle box pistol, yea, I once saw a security guard at a Toys-R- Us (Castleton Square) with a dual shoulder holster sporting two of them.

If it works, great, you get what you paid for, if not, well there is always a get a Pizza certificate or $25 cash buy back for a gun program.

Fun toys...............got rid of mine long ago, but wouldn't throw one away if I had it today.

*Dave elevates nose sharply into the air* My first handgun was a 1911, specifically a Colt Series 80.

Seriously, I am given to understand that the Jiminez is a better gun than its Jennings/Bryco predecessors. Obviously it is an incremental improvement, but any step in the right direction.

Top Bottom