• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    So, as a student of cold war history, the owner of a Bulgarian makarov (its my favorite pistol, im lights out with it and its my nightstand and carry gun), im curious if anyone here has any information on how the KGB and then FSB carried their makarovs, holster types and locations, and the condition they carried in.

And if possible if any of the KGB type holster are for sale I would be interested in buying them, if only just to understand the kind of gear they ran and the doctrine out of historical interest.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Empty chamber, rack the slide as you draw ...

[video=youtube;fobvYJVXqBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fobvYJVXqBQ[/video]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I watched a plainclothes LEO draw from the pocket of his coat outside the Hotel Cosmos in Moscow circa 1989. The hooligan he was confronting complied quickly. It appeared to be a Makarov, no holster was apparent. He did not rack the slide.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The holster doesn't cover the trigger, it's why it's carried with an empty chamber.

efa_holster.jpg

You probably don't want to draw with your finger on the finger like that guy on the pic though ...

There are other kinds but it's probably the most interesting one for the makarov.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    im curious if anyone here has any information on how the KGB and then FSB carried their makarovs, holster types and locations, and the condition they carried in.

KGB was a service agency, complete with its own organic artillery. Any USSR Big Army holster would be authentic.

Not having a holster is authentic as well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I watched a plainclothes LEO draw from the pocket of his coat outside the Hotel Cosmos in Moscow circa 1989. The hooligan he was confronting complied quickly. It appeared to be a Makarov, no holster was apparent. He did not rack the slide.

Dude I love it when you talk about your CIA days........I know you are still bummed about your cover getting compromised...You shouldn't be...I mean how on earth were you supposed to know those Russian midget hookers were working for the KGB??? Seriously I saw the pics and they looked legit to me......

I googled the madam....You know she really hasn't aged that much...

1.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Dude I love it when you talk about your CIA days........I know you are still bummed about your cover getting compromised...You shouldn't be...I mean how on earth were you supposed to know those Russian midget hookers were working for the KGB??? Seriously I saw the pics and they looked legit to me......

Crap, outed by the birthday boy...

As cool as that would have been, it was just a vodka fueled week long trip to St. Pete & Moscow at the end of a semester abroad. This of course was still the USSR, no clue what the guy did. I did admire the chrome plated SKS rifles the guards at Lenin's tomb carried. That probably started something for me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    it was just a vodka fueled week long trip to St. Pete & Moscow at the end of a semester abroad.

Ah okay, a "short trip abroad"....I thought you said "I got made by a short broad..."

My bad brother...:)

And to the OP the digital camera age, along with the fall of the iron Curtain has made vintage spy cameras affordable...A buddy of mine bought a Bulgy Makarov 22 conversion I had in the shop and put a can on it...He is purchasing a vintage 1970's era briefcase and is going to display his Mak, silencer, a vintage KGB medal, along with a minox spy camera in the case.....They (the cameras) can be bought pretty cheap now...

6a00df351e888f88340147e058400d970b-800wi

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

I googled the madam....You know she really hasn't aged that much...

1.jpg

I'm speechless... Awesome. Russian midget hookers...:rockwoot:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Crap, outed by the birthday boy...

As cool as that would have been, it was just a vodka fueled week long trip to St. Pete & Moscow at the end of a semester abroad. This of course was still the USSR, no clue what the guy did. I did admire the chrome plated SKS rifles the guards at Lenin's tomb carried. That probably started something for me.

lol when I went to the Kremlin and Red Square in summer 2013, the Chrome SKS rifles were gone, they just had old beat up regular SKS's that looked like they were used in Vietnam and Chechnya, stored in a damp bunker for 30 years, then poorly shellacked. Lol things must of declined since then. Though even traffic cops were walking around with ak-74us slung up with a round chambered and set to full retard. Also I saw the minister of defense walk out of a hotel surrounded by 4 of the meanest and biggest looking guys I ever saw with tricked out AK-104s with all the zenitco goodies and they jumped into a Chevy suburban(lol) that had a torrent with a pkm on it. Also I saw all different kinds of ways to fail to conceal a makarov. (Note to Ivan, wearing a shoulder holster under a skin tight Prada button down or jamming a makarov in your designer skinny jeans/Chinos isn't fooling anyone).

Also so security seemed to revolve around the "if your white it's all right" standard and it seems everyone and their brother was packing because they were either a cop, a fly by night private security guy, a gangster/hooligan, politically connected or rich or some combination of all of the above. Also holy ****, I don't think Russians know what a parking space is and they also think traffic laws are just suggestions or ways for drunk reject traffic cops to shake down rich foreigners for bribes

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    When I was in the USSR in 1985 I saw a lot of uniformed officers and only one plainclothes officer who was busting prostitutes in the hotel bar. He kept his Makarov in his suit coat's outside pocket. No holster and didn't seem to have any trouble with compliance. Well,mostly he was busting the johns as they left with the girl. Maybe for a bribe? Inever decided to try even though there were a few very hot ladies in there. :dunno:

This happened inboth Leningrad (at the time it still was Leningrad) and Moscow.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Man, I need to get to Russia. I was in Rome, Athens and Istanbul two years ago and I didn't see anything nearly that exciting. Besides a lot of the Greek guards still carried Garands and about every Turk police officer carried a knock off MP5K

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Man, I need to get to Russia. I was in Rome, Athens and Istanbul two years ago and I didn't see anything nearly that exciting. Besides a lot of the Greek guards still carried Garands and about every Turk police officer carried a knock off MP5K

Lol when I was in the athens Airport this summer I saw a m16a1 and a old iron sighted early production wood stocked G3. Im sure the guns were twice as old as the guys carrying them.

lol so pocket carry was the norm? Im not surprised as that or a simple open top IWB or even mexican carry works surprisingly well with those guns

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lol when I was in the athens Airport this summer I saw a m16a1 and a old iron sighted early production wood stocked G3. Im sure the guns were twice as old as the guys carrying them.

lol so pocket carry was the norm? Im not surprised as that or a simple open top IWB or even mexican carry works surprisingly well with those guns

There is no Russian word for "firearms safety" . . . or "traffic safety", or "airline safety", or "food safety", or . . . just the word safety does not exist in Russian.:D

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So, you have been to Russia then.

A good part of the rest of the world has a much less restrictive view of parking and driving regulations and customs than the US of A does. Heck, a good part of the rest of the world has far fewer driving and parking regulations and customs to take a view of in the first place.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I watched a plainclothes LEO draw from the pocket of his coat outside the Hotel Cosmos in Moscow circa 1989.
    As cool as that would have been, it was just a vodka fueled week long trip to St. Pete & Moscow at the end of a semester abroad.

Semester abroad from IU or some other institution?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    This all reminds me of one of the funniest stories ever told. It's about 10 minutes long, but you will not be disappointed. I promise.

[video=youtube_share;8PAtFsJY5q0]http://youtu.be/8PAtFsJY5q0[/video]

Top Bottom