• ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello,
    Looking to buy my first 1911. I sort of want to go with a Colt as I have a Colt government .380. I am not however closed to suggestions of other 1911s. I would like to go with something used. Any suggestions for things to look out for would be appreciated. I am sure I want to buy a 1911. Thanks in advance.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a couple of Colts and like them a lot. I had a couple of other 1911s from other makers before that and it never really felt like I had an actual 1911 until I got the Colt.

You might want to comment on your budget. Plan on carrying it?

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a couple of Colts and like them a lot. I had a couple of other 1911s from other makers before that and it never really felt like I had an actual 1911 until I got the Colt.

You might want to comment on your budget. Plan on carrying it?

Thanks,
    I am thinking somewhere between 700-1000.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Budget please.
    Expectations for use.

A 1911 can be tailored to your needs.

Used, you just missed a really nice SR1911 Ruger in the classies. I knew that one ant it was a deal.

Just know you will generally pay more just for the Horse.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I realize the horse costs more. I have considered the Ruger, but not sure at this point. I do not plan on it being an EDC. It will be mostly for home and possibly when we travel.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    700-1000 = Springfield to me. Springfield Loaded or Range Officer depending on your wants. But for very little more scratch you can find a TRP. Big step up.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hello,
    Looking to buy my first 1911. I sort of want to go with a Colt as I have a Colt government .380. I am not however closed to suggestions of other 1911s. I would like to go with something used. Any suggestions for things to look out for would be appreciated. I am sure I want to buy a 1911. Thanks in advance.

This is a good time to buy a Colt, the MSRP's recently went down. You can get a straight up Govt model for around 750.00 or for a little more (around 1070.00 at Buds) you can get the Wiley Clapp series 70 Govt model with all the options you'd usually pay to get done to a Govt.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had a little experience, but not like many of the others guys here, not by a long shot.

My experience started with handling and shooting my younger brother's Colt. It was OK... not badly fitted, and shot pretty straight. My own very first 1911 was a DW V-Bob. That kind of blows the OP's budget, but wow was it fit up nicely, not a squeak or rattle or gap to be found, almost like each piece was milled out of the same bar stock. Very smooth, very accurate. But for whatever reason, I never really took to it. Recently I stumbled across a S&W Sc E-Series (round butt commander) here on INGO, and made a trade for it. LOVE it. Fit and finish isn't quite the same as the DW was, but wow, it's a fantastic shooter, I'm bonding nicely with this one. Earlier this week, I was able to get into one of the new Ruger SR 1911 commander models in 9mm, the one recently released in July. This is so far not disappointing at all. If I were to rank them in order of fit/finish, it would be the DW at the top of list for sure, followed by the S&W, and the Ruger/Colt are probably tied.

All this to say that you have lots of good choices in your budget. I've heard nothing but good things from the likes of CM (and others) about how happy they've been with their Springers. I'm extremely pleased with both my S&W, and now the Ruger. I must say the Ruger is a lot of 1911 for the $$, IMHO. I had a chance to shoot the SR1911 that was recently in the classifieds here, and it was a real runner, accurate and just a hoot to sling lead with.

Last edited:

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have had more 1911's in my life than I can remember. I have owned most production brands out there today. Many of them are great pistols but I always come back to Colt. I am currently down to 3 of them, all Colts.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I noticed a pretty nice looking Kimber Pro Carry II at Elmores the other day and I believe it was less than 600. Room in that budget for quite a bit of ammo.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

Top Bottom