• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I'm bummed he didn't do it with the factory trigger.

I have a feeling the hinged design would have stopped trigger travel if sand were in it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Having installed an apex trigger in my edc, I'm not sure I'm convinced a factory trigger would perform better. If the 'safety' in the apex trigger isn't depressed, it won't allow you to press the trigger at all. All other parts of the trigger and trigger bar ar damn near identical in mechanics. Still, I have several m&p's with and without apex triggers I could douse and test, and might be worth trying.

While I don't anticipate getting dumped into a lake while needing to use my firearm, it's still sorta good to know...
    And I agree... rough test, but the m&p didn't perform well at all imo. Especially in light of Chezuki having gone so long without cleaning his.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    One reason I picked the M&P over the Glock was that I have a friend that ran into someone doing testing for LMPD to see if the M&P would be selected to replace their (then) current sidearm (I assume Glocks). The test was to see how many rounds it could fire before failing with minimal cleaning. They were up to 12,000 and were still going strong. This, along with talking with people I trust and reading reviews online, plus the feel of the M&P in my hand lead me to choose it. Considering the times I am submerged, or at the beach I am confident in the performance of both my M&P's.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The reason I picked the M&P over the Glock was that I have a friend that ran into someone doing testing for LMPD to see if the M&P would be selected to replace their (then) current sidearm (I assume Glocks). The test was to see how many rounds it could fire before failing with minimal cleaning. They were up to 12,000 and were still going strong. Considering the times I am submerged, or at the beach I am confident in the performance of both my M&P's.

Yeah, I see your point. BUT the issue with water submersion would be valid if it only slowed the striker on the first shot only. However, it happened infrequently after firing multiple rounds previously. This leads me to believe that these malfunctions could be potentially problematic when presenting the gun in a rain downpour. Due to the "loaded chamber" allowing water to potentially enter the firing pin channel, and then even moreso water making it's way into the striker channel from the "back" of the gun.

IMO the striker channel on M&P's is probably too tight. Would be VERY interested to see the default clearance for a glock striker vs. the clearance of an M&P striker.

The sand test is forgiveable, choking with water is not. We are FAR more likely to shoot wet than with our gun loaded with mud/muck/sand.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What a piece of :poop:

Anyone want to buy my M&P? Only about 25k rounds through it. Slide has been refinished twice, and I'm positive I've cleaned it at least 3 times... so basically LNIB.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I remember reading somewhere that the M&P striker channel sleeve has lands and grooves to allow proper function of the firing pin, even when dirty.

I'm wondering if this is what is causing the problems.

I believe the glock channel liner is smooth.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I remember reading somewhere that the M&P striker channel sleeve has lands and grooves to allow proper function of the firing pin, even when dirty.

I'm wondering if this is what is causing the problems.

I believe the glock channel liner is smooth.

Correct maritime cups are available for glock for this reason... There is stuff them in the MAC glock video thread. I don't know about the M&P having them, but I know in a Glock you have have to install them yourself but they do indeed work as intended so that makes me wonder if M&Ps come with them.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Correct maritime cups are available for glock for this reason... There is stuff them in the MAC glock video thread. I don't know about the M&P having them, but I know in a Glock you have have to install them yourself but they do indeed work as intended so that makes me wonder if M&Ps come with them.

The glock MAC tested didn't have them. So I'm wondering if they're even needed.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I was as surprised as anyone. We've tested several striker fired pistols and the M&P was the first to have such serious issues with the water. We checked and double checked, and this particular gun does not like having water in it. I know some folks will swear up and down this is impossible, or their S&W's have hundreds of thousands of trouble free rounds through them, but what you see in the video is what really happened. <shrug>

morrismm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Brownsburg
    How important is it that you have a gun that functions after it has been fully submerged in water? I get being prepared, but I'm not looking to go navy seal anytime soon...

Top Bottom