• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    There is a 1911 nut on here :): that will tell you that he loves the RO. I believe he thinks it represents some of the best value you can get with a quality 1911.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I got the .45 in July. I'm no expert in 1911s (or anything else for that matter) but I'm pretty happy with it. I hadn't heard anything bad about the 9mm but I guess I got lucky getting the .45. About 400 rounds fired without problem. Seems like a pretty solid gun. I have a 1991 Colt and a Ruger SR 1911 and this seems better made than those guns. I like the fiber optic front sight and it has the picatinny rail. One of the mag's lips seems more pinched than the other mag so I'm not as impressed with Springfield mags as much as their guns. I notice that I'm getting brass marks on the ejection port flare which doesn't seem right but isn't causing a problem, yet. I hope this isn't something I need to worry about.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Anyone own one? Opinions? I've read about some issues with the 9mm but this one I'm looking at is a 45. Thank you.

What is the gun going to be used for?
    I have one but not the Operator. Good guns. I hate the sights BUT I'm getting older and hate MOST sights.
    The R.O. sights on mine are square and definitely not good for carry purposes. They'll hang up on any clothing. Easily changed out though and fairly cheap to do.
    Springfield doesn't have a very pretty finish on most of their guns, ugly grips. IF I were to buy one of their guns it sure wouldn't be for looks. That's the darker finishes. I'm NOT a fan of stainless on handguns. Personal preference I guess.
    For the money it's pretty hard to beat Springfield. The R.O.s are good guns overall.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have three range officers, one .45 two 9mm. Two parkerized one stainless. The .45 has been great. I did put an egw bushing on since I felt the factory bushing was too loose. Made a big difference in accuracy. The first 9mm is a champion. Love the feel of if. Trigger was awful and it jammed like crazy. Sent it back and they (Sa) fixed in with a week and a half turnaround. Perfect function now and they sent it back with a flat wire recoil spring. Good "combat" accuracy but not like the .45. Third one is a stainless 9mm full size. Works well, good accuracy. But the slide to frame fit was gross. Not just rattle...gross. Not a precision fit as they advertise. So it's back at sa as we speak. I am completely aware of that slide to frame fit has a minor effect on accuracy but a gun that thunks when you move it laterally did not please me. The other two, and every other one I've looked at had a nice fit.

I did smooth the corners of the adjustable sights, easy fix with a Dremel and cold blue. Not sure if the operator has the same rear sight. The parkerization is good...repairs easily with cold blue if needed.

The bottom line is sa does have excellent customer service. The range officer is a good gun for the money but seems to have qc issues. I bought all of mine from online sources because they were typically $100-150 less than gun stores if shopped right. I don't know maybe they get the rejects? I would not have bought the last one had I been able to put hands on it before the purchase. They advertise the gun as precision fit, same attention as the trp, my last one...no way. We'll see how they handle it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The bottom line is sa does have excellent customer service. The range officer is a good gun for the money but seems to have qc issues. I bought all of mine from online sources because they were typically $100-150 less than gun stores if shopped right. I don't know maybe they get the rejects? I would not have bought the last one had I been able to put hands on it before the purchase. They advertise the gun as precision fit, same attention as the trp, my last one...no way. We'll see how they handle it.

You've brought up a good point with online purchases.
    I will NOT buy a gun without hands on. I've been known to fondle a couple at the LGS before laying down my money.
    I've seen some nasty firearms that were bought online.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I think the OP is referring to a new for 2016 model called the Range Officer Operator. It has different sights than the Range officer and has a rail. Priced between a Range Officer and an Operator.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have a .45 RO stainless. It's not the operator, just a regular 1911. SA sponsored the IN single-stack match this spring and I won it in the staff raffle. SA supports both their customers and the shooting sports very well. Here is the very first group I shot with mine... 15 yards, standing/unsupported. ( called that one off a little, pushed it a bit). It's a keeper! I may change sights, take a couple pounds off the trigger pull, and get front serrations milled in, that's it...

4i1Vqv.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom