• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Ordered a Ruger redhawk in 44 mag last week. It came in today, so like any responsible man, I blew off mowing the lawn tonight. Well my excitement quickly led to frustration. If you load six rounds, the gun jams up. So after messing with it a bit, I found the bottom two rounds to be rubbing the back of the frame...... If you load one or two rounds, no issues. Load all six, cylinder won't spin. Primmer and case are leaving brass on the frame. This was with factory winchester and hornady rounds. Thankfully I deal with good people and will have a new one later this week. But the question remains, how did this pass QC?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ordered a Ruger redhawk in 44 mag last week. It came in today, so like any responsible man, I blew off mowing the lawn tonight. Well my excitement quickly led to frustration. If you load six rounds, the gun jams up. So after messing with it a bit, I found the bottom two rounds to be rubbing the back of the frame...... If you load one or two rounds, no issues. Load all six, cylinder won't spin. Primmer and case are leaving brass on the frame. This was with factory winchester and hornady rounds. Thankfully I deal with good people and will have a new one later this week. But the question remains, how did this pass QC?

My experience with my .45 Colt Redhawk, and the GP100 before it, have left me with the understanding Ruger ships a lot of 80% guns. It must be cheaper to deal with us who discover it as opposed to shoving it in a sock drawer and never shooting it than it is to have good QC.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My experience with my .45 Colt Redhawk, and the GP100 before it, have left me with the understanding Ruger ships a lot of 80% guns. It must be cheaper to deal with us who discover it as opposed to shoving it in a sock drawer and never shooting it than it is to have good QC.

I think that's the MO of a lot of companies these days. It's cheaper to fix the products that are sent back than to have a bunch of initial quality control.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    have left me with the understanding Ruger ships a lot of 80% guns.

QC means man hours. Man hours means salary, health insurance, vacation time and other treats.

Cut QC, cut overhead, keep price of the guns down.

People will use $40 in gas to save $10 on a gun. Ruger's a little high with 80%.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think that there are two schools of thought regarding quality. Some companies build quality in and ensure quality before it ships. Other companies warrant quality in and depend on the customer to perform the last level of QC. A lot of companies have found that they can save big dollars by having a great warranty and returns department while cutting production and control costs on the line. Armscor is one of the best at that. Sure, they turn an occasional dud loose on the public, but they then go above and beyond when handling the return. If a company does a great job on the return, they still come away with a strong reputation.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I understand that I can't always find a problem when buying a new or used gun BUT..... After too many experiences of buying a gun sight unseen I will only buy a gun now that I have "hands on".
    Sorry you're having trouble with a cool purchase.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I think that there are two schools of thought regarding quality. Some companies build quality in and ensure quality before it ships. Other companies warrant quality in and depend on the customer to perform the last level of QC. A lot of companies have found that they can save big dollars by having a great warranty and returns department while cutting production and control costs on the line. Armscor is one of the best at that. Sure, they turn an occasional dud loose on the public, but they then go above and beyond when handling the return. If a company does a great job on the return, they still come away with a strong reputation.
    Nailed it to the wall brother. I've often wondered though wouldn't a company be dollars ahead by not having to deal with returns even on a less expensive gun?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Nailed it to the wall brother. I've often wondered though wouldn't a company be dollars ahead by not having to deal with returns even on a less expensive gun?

I suspect it is vastly less expensive to have a small department that trouble shoots returned firearms than it is to have a larger department that would test and go over all of them (plus extra QC controls at every step of manufacturing).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I suspect a lot of folks don't discover their gun no-worky good because they don't bother to shoot it...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Personally, I would have measured the cylinder gap and end shake. If it was nice and tight, a gunsmith can take a .001" or two off the frame and you'd have a very good gun. Most modern revolvers in that price range could do with a little care and feeding from a gunsmith. That's the way it has been for a couple decades.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    No need to pay a smith, i could have clearanced it myself, but why? Thats one reason I used the distributor I did. I called them and explained the issue. They asked if I wanted a refund or another redhawk. New redhawk will be here thursday.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Personal choice. Nothing wrong with that. I've worked on a lot of Rugers over the years and they can be made into quite decent shooters with not much effort. And you can use them as a hammer all day and still get good shooting results out of them.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I would make a guess and say when they test fired it, they only loaded one or maybe two rounds which would explain why they didn't discover the problem with a fully loaded cylinder of six.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This is what ruger is banking on.

Ruger must have eliminated the QC staff. I bought a new Ruger 10/22 that had parts missing. Ruger has one of the nicest and friendly service personnel around though. I have to give them high praise for their customer service.
    I doubt they even live fire their guns. For the commie states requiring an empty case they might just fire primed brass instead of a live round.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ruger must have eliminated the QC staff. I bought a new Ruger 10/22 that had parts missing. Ruger has one of the nicest and friendly service personnel around though. I have to give them high praise for their customer service.
    I doubt they even live fire their guns. For the commie states requiring an empty case they might just fire primed brass instead of a live round.

It seems to me Ruger has their hands in too much stuff. That is causing their QC department to not be able to keep up.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    In the late 90's my new Super Blackhawk came with a barrel that was not even screwed in all the way. I was extremely frustrated and disappointed. I sent it back, and 3 or 4 weeks later, it was fixed. I still have it, and plan to keep it for the rest of my life. So it is not a new problem.

Top Bottom