• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I recently acquired a pair of Sig Sauer 1911 Pistols on trade. One is a 5" black/gray extreme, and the other is a FDE 4" Scorpion. I've never owned a 1911, and I try to keep all my semiauto pistols to 9mm. So this is new territory for me, both in caliber and platform.

I'm planning to sell one (its in the classifieds right now) but I'm really torn on the other. They are such sweet guns, and are WAY more stylish than the polymer guns I normally run. Should I make the transition to .45, and keep one?

Additionally, they are marketed as "modern 1911's" with claw extractors and all. Is that actually a better system than traditional 1911's?

I haven't shot them yet, but I'm concerned it might be :koolaid:. Next thing you know I'll be carrying $400 knives and wearing "tactical" pants! What should I do??

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would take them both out and shoot at least a couple of mags through them and see what you like. I am a fan of the Sig P Series pistols. I only have one of their 1911s. I think they are a good buy at their price point. They just never excited me as much as some other makers. I feel the same way about a couple other brands but some people really like them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a big fan of the Sig 1911s. I don't think that the external extractor is better but it does work. My guess is that it exists to reduce assembly cost by eliminating the need for extractor tuning. I've had no issues with them at all.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I love my Sig TacOps 1911. Yes, it doesn't look like a "real" 1911, but out of the 1911's I own it's my favorite :yesway:

HD%20New_zps36orvywm.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Sig P-series pistols, so maybe that's why I like Sig 1911's? I dunno, but even though the trigger is a bit heavier than my other 1911's, I like it the best and I'm the most accurate with it, which is why it's my HD gun.

Tp222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Laporte
    I have a couple Sug 1911's and love them. Great quality for the price, very tight lock up and the accuracy is impressive.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a Sig GSR (the first model of 1911 Sig offered) and I'm quite happy with it, In general I think Sig 1911's are a great buy for the money. I can shoot mine better than any other 1911's I have some costing double or more what the Sig cost.

caltem

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    A good friend of mine allowed me to shoot his Sig Scorpion recently. It was one of the most comfortable 1911's that I have ever shot.

Last edited:

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    I like many am one of sigs biggest fans. I personally believe that there p series are some of the best if not the best out there; especially legion series. But I have to say, I picked up a new sig nightmare carry 1911 after having looked for 3 months and I was so regrettably disappointed. I could not believe how much of a let down they are. I can't believe all of these people, "great quality for the price". they are so expensive for what you get. quite frankly, I could do the same with a rock island. if I were you, I would sell both and get something from Kimber, preferably from their custom shop.

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    I say let sig stick to their striker fire and sa/da pistols and let go of the 1911 but they will sell because of the name. id rather have a springfield.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've had a Scorpion and now have a Railed Nickel in full size. The slide feels like it's on bearings in both of them. The Scorpion mags did not lock the slide back consistently, but Wilson's were 100% in that gun. The Railed Nickel has been perfect since round one (still a bit shy of the thousand round mark). I think I paid $900 for each of them which is a steal considering what they deliver. Eventually, the RN will get an EGW ignition kit and larger thumb safety but that's been pretty much the standard work done on all of my non-DW built 1911s.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have a full size Scorpion and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm sure I'll end up with many more 1911's its not easy to stop once you get the bug. I am okay with the external extractor but some don't like it , I'm liking the look of a Colt rail gun and I imagine that or a Springfield full size will follow me home one of these days. Dan

tranders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Clinton County
    I have the Nitemare and have no real complaints other than I think the checkering on the front strap is a little too sharp. Reloading for it was a little tricky due to the tight chamber,but it shoots and functions very well.

Top Bottom